To shoot ground game with dogs or not ???

Also spiining off another thread I have read some very strange and odd replys.

In most of the mags or books by well know trainers etc there has been a section about shooting rabbits flushed by dogs.

It would seem some of the members on forum seem to think this is wrong for safety reason of the dog etc.

Well my thoughts is this perfectly safe to do if the dog is well trained and steady but more important is that the person behind the gun is steady and safe.

If you dont think it is right to do so I would like to know your reasons .

PS I dont do this type of shooting.

Please keep your replys polite thank you OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Perfectly safe.If anyone thinks its not safe for the dog,is either a very undisciplined shot or has a very undisciplined dog.Flushing rabbits is great sport and can be very challenging too.

That's the point though !

I would be happy shooting over my dogs but wouldnt be to happy with people i do not know shooting over my dogs as i do not know how safe they are :ninja:

That's the point though !

I would be happy shooting over my dogs but wouldnt be to happy with people i do not know shooting over my dogs as i do not know how safe they are :ninja:

That would be my view i think...I'd have to know the other guns,Or..Know there dogs if i was shooting over some1 else's dog..Would have no resevations with my dog....

i have no problems myself,i use my two jack russells all the time.

but saying that,i have seen a border terrier shot by his owner.

when picking my pup's,i always go for the ones which are more dominant white.

for the simple reason,of identification when bolting out of cover.

and i never shoot over them, only way in front.

Edited by wallysmarksrn

i use to take my sisters young lab out when hare shooting or rabbiting with shot gun he was quite slow/hesitant to give chase to anthing he flushed so i always had plenty of time to shoot safely but like everyone else has said i wouldn't shoot with anyone else's dog doing the flushing

Perfectly safe.If anyone thinks its not safe for the dog,is either a very undisciplined shot or has a very undisciplined dog.Flushing rabbits is great sport and can be very challenging too.

Unless the other guns dogs are undisciplined.

My Springer flushed a nice Hare on saturday, but we dont shoot ground game on our shoot.

But as long as the dog is steady i cant see why not

See above, if other dogs are not as well trained ......

I would be happy shooting over my dogs but wouldnt be to happy with people i do not know shooting over my dogs as i do not know how safe they are :hmm:

Yet again, it also needs to be taken into account other guns dogs :good:

I think, also, that the term "shooting over Dogs" is misleading to those unfamiliar with the concept.

I would never shoot "over" a Dog but would shoot groundgame that was flushed by a Dog.

At one time I had a Colab that was fantastic for this. A friend of mine took me out to show me a new permission. He had an old nondescript bitch with him and I thought we'd be in trouble because my Colab was young and barely trained.

My Dog went to the bitch to try his luck and straight away she snapped at him to let him know she wasn't interested.

His bitch then started 'bouncing' through the undergrowth so she could see ahead but she was also herding the Rabbits towards me. As soon as she saw the Rabbit was heading my way she would stop until I'd taken the shot, then she'd be off again.

My Dog started copying her and in two hours his bitch taught my dog more than I could have taught it in a lifetime.

Unfortunately I can't keep a Dog where I live at the moment but I do miss days like that.

why do you think dogs are taught to be steady to flush/shot, no ground game usually applies to driven game shoots, where lots of dogs and beaters are in front of the guns, hence why it would be unsafe, but when only one dog and a couple of guns are having a rough shoot, there should be absaloutly no reason not to shoot ground game as long as the dogs are steady to flushed game, be it feather or fur, how do you think spaniel trials are ran when they shoot rabbits over them?? :good:

We had this discussion at our Club shoot last Saturday. With two fox coloured spaniels in the line the risk of a shot at charlie was not worth taking, whereas the previous rule had been no ground game but shoot a fox if safe to do so, now by consensus of opinion on the day seems to suggest that no foxes now either. Down to a time and a place.

Blackpowder

I don't think there is an issue if it is a 'ground game only' day if thats your thing, and the other guns / dog people are used to that type of shooting I have shot like this many times , but there are potential issues on a driven pheasant or partridge day for example.

Unfortunately we get plenty of insurance claims each year where dogs have been shot – and occasionally beaters, where someone shoots forward at what they think is ground game – into the line of beaters / dogs – got to be daft.

OK you could say only take ground game behind – assuming there are no pickers up and everyone does not ‘swing through the line’ to take their shot at the rabbit or hare...

David