I don't mind a joke but...

njc110381

Oh my god! I just shot a bunny with my new .22lr (nothing new there, I shoot loads of 'em) and decided I was going to give it another try. It was a nice healthy looking bunny in really good condition and I just felt the need to give it another go. I'm pretty determined that I'm going to find a way to like it. I shoot so many it really bothers me that I don't eat them much, it's such a waste :good:

So I got it home, gutted and skinned it and gave it a rinse in warm water and cut it up for the pot. Into a pan it went with a fair amount of salt and some pepper to boil off that gamey flavour that they have (seems to work quite well). Well The kettle boiled and I tipped it into the pot.... The ******* thing started skipping about in the pan! Not whole, but the backstraps (which had been cut in half to fit in the pot!

I'm sorry but that's not on. I'm going to eat it but this really isn't helping me to like it! It had been dead for 30 minutes!

Edited by njc110381

I caught a few good sized Codling some years back, came home put them on the sink drainer and told the kids to come and have a look, my eldest being inquisitve poked one of them and it flapped a bit, (quite a bit) :good: ........the colour drained from her face pretty quick, poor kid. Fish was gutted which made it appear worse for her I guess.

Well now it's been cooking for a while it smells great. I never thought I'd say that about Rabbit but it really does. I've boiled it in the salty water for 30 minutes, drained and pulled it from the bone and it's now stewing with celery, green pepper, carrot, onion, leek, potato, garlic and pearl barley in a chicken stock with some cider. The veg mix is a little weird but it's all we had so it will have to do. I didn't plan to shoot the thing until it stupidly popped its head out after I'd zero'd the rifle! Then it looked too good to leave for the Foxes.

Get over yourself. ;)

Are you really squeamish or something?

Anyway, you should have left it overnight in the sink with water and a tonne of salt. It makes it taste better and removes the bitterness.

I'm literally just eating a hare stir fry. I didn't realise how quick it is to cook... :good:

Edited by harfordwmj

Get over yourself. :D

Are you really squeamish or something?

You mean I shouldn't be bothered by the fact that my food is still moving in the pan? Hmmm, I'm not so sure :good:;)

I've eaten some of it. To be honest I think I muffed the recipe up a bit! The Rabbit doesn't taste too bad but it's not one of my best stews. I think too much garlic spoiled it and it needed more stock cubes too. A bit of a let down but at least it didn't taste too bad. It's done enough to make me want to try again which can only be a good thing. I think I tried too hard to hide the bunny flavour but then that flavour wasn't that strong in the end. The result is a bowl of garlic flavoured mush..... Oh well!

And jars of curry sauce? I prefer to spend ages making up my own. I know what's gone into it then! For some reason it never tastes the same or as good as a jar mix but I put that down to all the additives that don't make it into home made stuff?

All in all I'm well pleased. It's the only bunny dish so far that I haven't really hated!

Edited by njc110381

You mean I shouldn't be bothered by the fact that my food is still moving in the pan? Hmmm, I'm not so sure ;):D

I've eaten some of it. To be honest I think I muffed the recipe up a bit! The Rabbit doesn't taste too bad but it's not one of my best stews. I think too much garlic spoiled it and it needed more stock cubes too. A bit of a let down but at least it didn't taste too bad. It's done enough to make me want to try again which can only be a good thing. I think I tried too hard to hide the bunny flavour but then that flavour wasn't that strong in the end. The result is a bowl of garlic flavoured mush..... Oh well!

And jars of curry sauce? I prefer to spend ages making up my own. I know what's gone into it then! For some reason it never tastes the same or as good as a jar mix but I put that down to all the additives that don't make it into home made stuff?

All in all I'm well pleased. It's the only bunny dish so far that I haven't really hated!

its normally when the kids ask for rabbit curry last minute, and i cant be bothered making a paste. :good:

You're not alone, I can't stand the taste of them either and have tried alsorts but never really convinced myself. I'd like to try it bbqed sometime and an "old hand" I spoke to a while ago recommended doing it like jugged hare but I'm quite happy to give the ferrets some and leave the rest in the field.

I'm sorry but this is a terrible waste. If your gonna leave rabbits in the field why don't you take them home and feed to dogs, or try and give them away. Any Game, Pigeon, Rabbit etc I don't eat I always give away.

Personally I love rabbit. Cut the loin off and back legs a make a casserole, or like I did on Tuesday make a game pie with Rabbit, Pheasant, Pigeon and Woodcock :hmm:

Sounds slighty off putting, but at least you know its fresh. :hmm:

If you don't like the taste, which my old man doesn't, then stir fry it in sherry and seaseme oil and whack loads of soy sauce on before during and after. Some peppers and various other veg and all you can taste is the flavour of the sauces which happens to be very nice. Guaranteed to get anyone who doesn't like rabbit (but likes chinese) to eat it!

Anyone who is put off by the rabbit smell/taste should try discarding the pelvis, as this is where the scent gland resides. No scent gland, no strong taste :hmm: .

ZB

nice tip, ill try it, cheers :lol:

I tried rabbit for the first time this week. Made a Lovely curry! :yp:

what? you never ate it before?! :lol:

you dont know what youre missing. nicest rabbit i ever had was freashly shot and gutted, roasted in the oven right away with bacon and plenty of butter in it, it tasted great! even better was the fact i left it in the oven, so the then girlfriend (who id had a row with that morning...) had to take it out before she could cook her quorn sausages.... :P :( :lol: :lol:

Since meat has got so expensive Rabbit has become are main meat supply.

Its so versatile and so easy to get round these parts Sweepy got 96 the other night.

Sweepy makes a fantastic curry that really do get your taste bubs going.

We make burgers and sausages steamed puds and pies.And of course you cant beat bunnie stew and dumplings.

Give me bunnie anyday. At least i know that i am giving my kids something of which i know has not been pump full of god knows what. :hmm:

xxxSuzy

Its so versatile and so easy to get round these parts Sweepy got 96 the other night.

Sweepy makes a fantastic curry that really do get your taste bubs going.

We make burgers and sausages steamed puds and pies.And of course you cant beat bunnie stew and dumplings.

Give me bunnie anyday. At least i know that i am giving my kids something of which i know has not been pump full of god knows what. :hmm:

xxxSuzy

Totaly agree I do the same mainly sausages and all types of curries / chinese dishes. Better than the pumped full of water cheap chicken you get in the supermarkets :lol: :yp:

So many people say they don't like rabbit and pull faces, "i've tried it before it's horrible"

i really want to find whoever it was that has cooked the rabbit for these people before as clearly they had no idea. There are so many ways of cooking a rabbit that yes one way might be **** but other ways are divine.

it's almost like having a Phaal Curry and then saying I don't like indian food as that is what you are basing it on.

anyway.

I always take the four legs and soak overnight, boil with an onion and carrots and bay for about 2 1/2 hours. then just flake the flesh off and use it as chicken for whatever i am cooking, be it Fajitas, a pie or whatever. yummy.

i have tried loads of ways of cooking rabbits some good some not so one thing i always find is that they are very chewy i have given up cooking the flaps below the saddle as they are the toughest even cooking for long periods does not eradicate the toughness i do not mind so much but the rest of the family do. what can i do to make the meat less tough? marinade etc. however if you want a good tasting rabbit meal any chicken meal works fine. i made a sweet and sour meal tastes ok also cant beat a good pie including pheasant rabbit pigeon and most important squirrel!

...steamed puds...

It appals me that I had never considered this.

Some salty ham ends, plenty of fresh rabbit, white pepper, tarragon and crème fraiche - all packed inside a thick suet-y bubble… :good:

It must surely be lunch time soon??!??!

LS