How well did we shoot today? 2010 edition.

Anni

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I seem to have recovered from last week's disaster on the Sportrap. Shot 100 A/R at Spennymoor this morning and managed 21/25 ESP, 25/25 ESK, 22/25 DTL and 23/25 ABT to finish on 91. That was in second place when I left, but there were a few decent shots yet to come in. Might have possibly got a draw in A class but I'll have to wait and see :D

Then went on to Marne and won the shoot there with a 55/60.

Happy dayzzzz :rolleyes:

34x50 at Colchester Garrison. With MC, 300watt bob and Poontang.

19x50 at garrison, I can only only appolgise for the poor set up.....shame the england squad did'nt want to practice or a digweed and faulds for a shoot off. I'm glad you talked about how good it wasn't within ear shot of the of the bloke who set up!!!Hopefully he'l take note,its not his turn till next year now so next few shoot will be a whole lot easier...if you come back again that is. Highest scoe was 40,so 34x50 was very good Markio well done.

Haggis.

Decided to take a trip out to the Isle of Wight Gun Club today; picturesque little set-up with 10 stands of 5 pairs apiece. Started out in fine fashion shooting a series of 5 nines on the first 5 stands :rolleyes: Kept it together for the last 50, and finished the round with a straight, an eight, another nine and two more straights on the final two stands to finish on a personal best 92. ******* chuffed as its the first time i've ever concentrated for an entire round :D

Decided to take a trip out to the Isle of Wight Gun Club today; picturesque little set-up with 10 stands of 5 pairs apiece. Started out in fine fashion shooting a series of 5 nines on the first 5 stands :oops: Kept it together for the last 50, and finished the round with a straight, an eight, another nine and two more straights on the final two stands to finish on a personal best 92. ******* chuffed as its the first time i've ever concentrated for an entire round :D

Well shot Nicky la!! :rolleyes: 90+ at sporting is always good news! :P

Decided to take a trip out to the Isle of Wight Gun Club today; picturesque little set-up with 10 stands of 5 pairs apiece. Started out in fine fashion shooting a series of 5 nines on the first 5 stands :rolleyes: Kept it together for the last 50, and finished the round with a straight, an eight, another nine and two more straights on the final two stands to finish on a personal best 92. ******* chuffed as its the first time i've ever concentrated for an entire round :D

Awesome shooting! nice one on the new PB :P

Decided to take a trip out to the Isle of Wight Gun Club today; picturesque little set-up with 10 stands of 5 pairs apiece. Started out in fine fashion shooting a series of 5 nines on the first 5 stands :P Kept it together for the last 50, and finished the round with a straight, an eight, another nine and two more straights on the final two stands to finish on a personal best 92. ******* chuffed as its the first time i've ever concentrated for an entire :D

Were you using the devils Nicky? :rolleyes:

Decided to take a trip out to the Isle of Wight Gun Club today; picturesque little set-up with 10 stands of 5 pairs apiece. Started out in fine fashion shooting a series of 5 nines on the first 5 stands :look: Kept it together for the last 50, and finished the round with a straight, an eight, another nine and two more straights on the final two stands to finish on a personal best 92. ******* chuffed as its the first time i've ever concentrated for an entire round :D

nice one nicky.. :rolleyes::P:oops: alll in the head :yes::yes::yes:

Decided to take a trip out to the Isle of Wight Gun Club today; picturesque little set-up with 10 stands of 5 pairs apiece. Started out in fine fashion shooting a series of 5 nines on the first 5 stands :P Kept it together for the last 50, and finished the round with a straight, an eight, another nine and two more straights on the final two stands to finish on a personal best 92. ******* chuffed as its the first time i've ever concentrated for an entire round :D

Nicely done Nicky :rolleyes: Well shot :oops:

Well shot NickyT and Paulos today :D

Shot the club shoot today at caerwys finished second in A class and 3rd overall great fun in that wind on the welsh hills :rolleyes:

Jay came about 5th in B class :oops: but to be fair he was shooting a different shell as I couldn't get his normal shell (gamebore supercomp)

Glad i never shot the British open at Dove-ridge this weekend judging by the scores :P

nice one nicky.. :D:rolleyes::P alll in the head :P:yes::yes:

Nicely done Nicky :oops: Well shot :yes:

Well shot NickyT and Paulos today :look:

Shot the club shoot today at caerwys finished second in A class and 3rd overall great fun in that wind on the welsh hills :lol:

Jay came about 5th in B class :( but to be fair he was shooting a different shell as I couldn't get his normal shell (gamebore supercomp)

Glad i never shot the British open at Dove-ridge this weekend judging by the scores :o

Fantastic shooting Nick, well done! :yes:

Many thanks everyone :yes:

Well shot Magmen too :yes:

Doveridge sounds like a toughy for sure!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

That's fantastic shooting nick well done :D

I decided to take a trip down to the registered shoot at shugborough today.

Seeing as I was on my own I decided to have a look round and start on an easy stand, my mistake as I dropped 5 on probably one of the easiest stands there :rolleyes::P .

I made up for it by only dropping one on the next six stands I shot.

I thought I was on for a good score till the last stand of the day a 5 pair stand, there was a long queue and I lost all concentration by the time I shot it & dropped 6.

So my first and last stands cost me 11.

Ended up with 80 and was 3rd when I left.

I did the British Open at Doveridge today, it was quite a tough shoot, but nothing any real distance and, (just like Auntie :D ), virtually every bird I missed I overlead. :P

There was one "silly" stand at the top of "Heart Attack Hill", a white rabbit thrown edge on down a steep bank in front of you, it was what a call a lottery target, you've just got to "poke and hope", well, I missed all 4 of 'em, (so did Fauldsy and Husthwaite), on our squad of 6 guys, only one single rabbit was broken..!! :rolleyes:

I finished on an 84, I should have had a few more, when I left Philip Thorrold has just turned in a 90 to tie with Diggy and Martin Myers. According to Martin, Diggy wasn't coming back for the shoot off, so it would have been between Thorrold & Myers. They're both very nice guys and I wished them both good luck before I sped off in the pouring rain back "darn sarf" to the better weather.

I think I was joint 3rd in AA class, and 15th overall, Fauldsy also did an 84, I think Ben Husthwaite jacked it in half way round for some reason..??

Cat.

I did the British Open at Doveridge today, it was quite a tough shoot, but nothing any real distance and, (just like Auntie :hmm: ), virtually every bird I missed I overlead. :oops:

There was one "silly" stand at the top of "Heart Attack Hill", a white rabbit thrown edge on down a steep bank in front of you, it was what a call a lottery target, you've just got to "poke and hope", well, I missed all 4 of 'em, (so did Fauldsy and Husthwaite), on our squad of 6 guys, only one single rabbit was broken..!! :hmm:

I finished on an 84, I should have had a few more, when I left Philip Thorrold has just turned in a 90 to tie with Diggy and Martin Myers. According to Martin, Diggy wasn't coming back for the shoot off, so it would have been between Thorrold & Myers. They're both very nice guys and I wished them both good luck before I sped off in the pouring rain back "darn sarf" to the better weather.

I think I was joint 3rd in AA class, and 15th overall, Fauldsy also did an 84, I think Ben Husthwaite jacked it in half way round for some reason..??

Cat.

Very well shot Cat, indeed well shot to NickyT, the Mag family and all PWers out on the clays in the last couple of days :good::good::good::good:

My trip to Doveridge on Saturday was nearly as bad personally as the Sportrap on the Friday. Son of Potter, my regular shooting partner Mark, star of page 82 of this month's Clay Shooting magazine, and myself, all A class shots finished on 63, 68 and 67 respectively. Emmsey, who won the English Open (A class) with a 91 at Hodnet earlier in the year was shooting in the squad in front of ours and I think he also finished in the high 60's. This and looking at the scores of other shooters I know quite well who had similar scores were all 15 to 20 birds below what they would normally have expected to shoot!!

Everyone I spoke to on Friday & Saturday had an opinion on why the scores were, in the vast majority of cases, so low. To be fair most said it was a bad shoot, too hard, too many edge on clays, too many slow floppy birds not under power, don't like shooting in squads, 40min hold up on stand 8, white rabbit downhill on stand 9, white rabbit downhill on stand 9, white rabbit downhill on stand 9 and so on.

We, SoP, MW and myself begged to disagree, with the exception of the white rabbit (I mullered the first one and missed the remaining three!!) we thought the remaining targets were all killable by a good, competent A class shooter and every single one was broken by A class shooters. The very peculiar thing was that nobody seemed to be able to do so consistently, some straightened a number of stands and really struggled on others, some dropped clays on virtually all stands but it was the shooters problem not the targets. I think the criticism of the course setter was unfair, whether by accident or design they had created a course that tested everyone and found the majority wanting. Human nature being what it is doesn't like being found wanting hence the criticism. I for one would love to shoot that course again and although it would prove nothing I'm sure we would all add at least 10 (hopefully more) to our scores

well that was my two pennies worth

Mr Potter

well said Mr p, i think a lot of shooters at the moment have got used to these easy targets being put on to get the customers through the doors. most grounds are run as a business today and not 'By shooters, for shooters' like they used to be. they want money out of it and the best way is to give easy targets and make them want to come back again, people want to hit clays, NOT be challenged.

i prefer a challenge myself. :hmm: