It's like a drug

Heladoxa

Anybody else got this problem? My grandson, 13 years old, is hooked on X Box. When he comes home from school he's straight on it, and his eyes are on it every available moment of the day. His Mum (my Daughter) has tried banning it, rationing time, cajoling , threatening and is now in tears because he can't leave the blubby thing alone. Without it he just stares into space.

In general it is an educated and highly motivated family, but this pox has laid its cold hand on the family.

What to do?

Bill

Edited by Heladoxa

Sell it...And buy a .410 or Air rifle with the money.....My lad was never allowed to spend to much time on computer games..(ps 1 & 2)...I found as long as my lad had some decent clothes on,He didnt mind coming out shooting/ferreting with me....

I pointed this fact out to my missus on Christmas day...Not 1 kid out on the street playing...The sun was out,it was a beautifull day here...No kids on new bikes,No kids racing RC cars down the street...I can only assume they all got Wii's or X-box etc...Quite sad really...

NIP IT IN THE BUD MATE...

Just take it off him, he will only stare into space for a short time then he'll snap out of it and go find something to do. I let my kids have a WII, at least with that they get a little bit of exercise, the games aren't as good as the xbox so the need to play for hours just isn't there, best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Whilst i feel a certain amount of sympathy for the moron spending his life on the thing im afraid that the blame lies with one person alone-your daughter.If she cannot exert some basic rules and discipline then she is failing him as a mother.Take the thing away and sell it-it has no power over the child whatsoever-it is simply replacing whetever is missing in his life.Sorry to be so blunt but you need answers not pity.

he,s 13 years old,say no.we all have to abide by ground rules of one form or another.whats he going to grow into if he thinks he can have his own way if he makes a fuss.i would pitch ever gadget he has in the bin if he kicked up over the xbox.

Whilst i feel a certain amount of sympathy for the moron spending his life on the thing im afraid that the blame lies with one person alone-your daughter.If she cannot exert some basic rules and discipline then she is failing him as a mother.Take the thing away and sell it-it has no power over the child whatsoever-it is simply replacing whetever is missing in his life.Sorry to be so blunt but you need answers not pity.

:yes:

Got to be harsh I am afraid. My young lad has a D.S. Lite which he only gets to use for less than an hour a week normally. It seems to be anything electronic is addictive, be it telly, P.C., or games console. I do often wonder what it would be like to not have these things at all. My daughter is not quite old enough yet to have the addiction and hope it stays that way.

I am a harsh sort of person though, I had to nip to the diy store today and they were running around it like loonies, so when we got home they were dressed up appropriately and shut outside for a couple of hours to get rid of the excess energy they obviously had. :good:

I should say that I am feeling a bit of a hypocrite writing this here on the PC. :yes:

That said my kids have far more fun when we go ferreting than playing on the "boxes", and normally hassle me to go again for days after we have been out, just need more time to do it. :sly:

Games become boring after u've completed them so online gaming is where you then go. You can quite easily limit the internet access to the xbox via your router. You can specify times of each day on a weekly cycle that he can access the internet. These times then become non negotiable. That way he can't think he can try and sweet talk you into letting him have the cable back.

Joe

Best to get it out of their systems, there is nothing sadder than a grown man playing on games console (IMHO obviously :yp:)

I thought we were talking about kids. :lol:

Grown men should know better. I have been on this thing most of the day today doing record keeping :rolleyes: and peeking in here now and then to keep me sane :lol: .

im sure the x box has a parental set up in the sytem menu which allows you to set a timer which requires a pin code to continue play.... "family time" its called....tell your daughter to read the instructions and set it up....give him 1/2 an hour a day and an hour at he week end... problem solved......

Edited by myzeneye

Time to get in some serious "granddad time"

Remember when you were a kid - there's a certain something I'm unable to put into words about the grandparent/grandkid thing. Chances are you have more influence over that child than his mum and you are the one most likely to get him keen to spend time with someone else.

Have you ever known a kid not to want to out for a walk in the country or around a farm with Grandad?