making a new floor in a small trailer

malkiserow

I've bought a trailer (a 6' X 4' single axel light car trailer) which needs a a bit of work. The floor is worn out naff plywood.

What makes a good floor? and where do I get it from ....?

I am thinking of a galvanised mesh but what grade? how to fix it ?

I thought of marine ply but everything just stays soggy and the frame is more likely to rust away where I cannot see it.

I also thought that If the new floor is mesh then when i want to collect sand/gravel etc, I can throw down a sheet of ply just for that.

What do you think guys?

Thanks

Malk

Depends what your budget is.

I did a 5ft x 3.5ft trailer with a sheet of galvanised steel, very tough, but doesn't let the water drain out and can be a bit noisy when being towed.

I am about to do another one in the Spring (I seem to have a lot of trailers) and will use reclaimed timber planks.

There are lots of engineered boards around which are impregnated with all kinds of materials like pitch or epoxy resin. I would use something like that and store the trailer with the front lifted so any water can run out. If you put a mesh base in it even with a sheet of ply over it you will still have lost a lot of sand by the time you get home.

Check out William T Eden and see if they have a stockist near you.

Try Commercial Body Fittings on 0121 520 0100 (midlands) or 01707 371161 (Hertfordshire) for Phenolic flooring. It's the brown coated and resin impregnated flooring they put in trucks from new. Comes in 8x4 or 10x5 in varying thicknesses around the 3/4" mark. It WILL last forever in your situation. It's not too expensive either, and they will deliver especially to a works address.

These people supply the trade so you're cutting out the middle man and going directly to the importer. They also supply all the rope hooks, tailgate hinges, antiluces etc you could dream of.

marine ply , then a coat of fibreglass matting and resin followed by a grey flow coat . you can even purchase iron filings from any fibre glass roofing company to sprinkle onto the final coat which then gives the fininish a non-slip effect . i used this method in my dog kennel and garage floor 2 years ago . nothing will go through it , it's tough and easy to wash out . :good:

I've bought a trailer (a 6' X 4' single axel light car trailer) which needs a a bit of work. The floor is worn out naff plywood.

What makes a good floor? and where do I get it from ....?

I am thinking of a galvanised mesh but what grade? how to fix it ?

I thought of marine ply but everything just stays soggy and the frame is more likely to rust away where I cannot see it.

I also thought that If the new floor is mesh then when i want to collect sand/gravel etc, I can throw down a sheet of ply just for that.

What do you think guys?

Thanks

Malk

kerowin is excelent malc.

don't know if i have spelt it right

but if you ask at a timber merchant and pronounce it as i have spelt it they will know.

i used to use it on cattle and horse boxes

don't need to paint it and you wont wear it out

Peter is correct with his recomendation, the spelling is Keruing. I doubt you will find it available these days as it is a african hardwood and not very eco friendly.

Also it is a bitch to work and blunts tools quickly as it is full of grit as it is mostly grown in dusty desert enviroments. If you can get it it will last a long time though.

Malkie, simply take the floor and sides out rub the rust off and a decent coat of hammerite and then just as you first thought use marine ply. However best be sitting down when you check the prices for the thickness you want its probably what you paid for the trailer unless you find some second hand. the other options mentioned are even more pricy