Can you shoot foxes with an air rifle ?

Blackbart

What do you reckon :lol:

According to George Wallace from sporting gun magazine you can....

And i quote "I have shot foxes this year with my 22 air rifle,22 rimfire and 22 hornet"

so maybe we have all got it wrong <_< what next catapults :lol:

Not a very sensible thing to write in my view :lol:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DONT, if you want to shoot a fox, get a centre fire or a shotgun and do the job properly

I also saw the quote in the Sporting Gun mag and thought what an appsalute ######. It is totally unnecessary and frowned apron.

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

I have used a 12ft lbs .177s with no probs at about 20 yards with carefully placed headshots maybe 30 years ago before I had powder rifles. Legally yes you can, morally no you certainly should not. Even a 12 bore needs to be close or be suitably loaded with BBs or similar.

Centerfire fire is by far the most humane and cleanest way.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Mr george wallace goes on to say,(in march issue of sporting gun) "all these (22 air rifle 22 rimfire and 22 hornet) work perfectly well at the right time and place"

This bloke is "The National Gamekeepers Organisations Firearms Consultant"

Whilst i can agree with the 22 rf and hornet,i think he has lost the plot saying a 22 air rifle works perfectly well for shooting foxes !

Edited by Blackbart

Mr george wallace goes on to say,(in march issue of sporting gun) "all these (22 air rifle 22 rimfire and 22 hornet) work perfectly well at the right time and place"

This bloke is "The National Gamekeepers Organisations Firearms Consultant"

Whilst i can agree with the 22 rf and hornet,i think he has lost the plot saying a 22 air rifle works perfectly well for shooting foxes !

Is there any way we can get Mr Wallace to contribute to this forum so that he can explain exactly what he means?

Bill

I have used a 12ft lbs .177s with no probs at about 20 yards with carefully placed headshots maybe 30 years ago before I had powder rifles. Legally yes you can, morally no you certainly should not. Even a 12 bore needs to be close or be suitably loaded with BBs or similar.

Centerfire fire is by far the most humane and cleanest way.

A

A 12 bore will kill foxes out to 50 yards and it doesn't necessarily have to be BB's. I consistently shoot them on fox drives with no. 2's.

What do you reckon :lol:

According to George Wallace from sporting gun magazine you can....

And i quote "I have shot foxes this year with my 22 air rifle,22 rimfire and 22 hornet"

so maybe we have all got it wrong :beer: what next catapults :stupid:

Not a very sensible thing to write in my view :lol:

Hello Blackbart,

I think I will pursue this a bit further. Will you confirm the magazine name, the date, and the title of the article and I will write and try to find out what is going on.

Regards

Bill

No matter if it's legal or not the only thing that a statement like the one published can do is fuel the "Antis" and damage the reputation of responsible shooters!

Edit: This thread has originated from this thread: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=113436

Edited by Frenchieboy

Hello Blackbart,

I think I will pursue this a bit further. Will you confirm the magazine name, the date, and the title of the article and I will write and try to find out what is going on.

Regards

Bill

March issue sporting gun,

Title of article (ironically) Foxing....Doing it large.

And funnily enough it is all about getting a .270 to shoot foxes OR more to the point trying to get your firearms dept to grant a .270 for foxes :beer:

And 6's ollie. Iv shot more with 5's and 6's than any other

The man needs telling to use the right tools for the job!

SSS I have shot more foxes than I can remember with 7 1/2's while out rough shooting, obviously these were opportunist shots from close range (within 30 yards); however I prefer the 2's while on the fox drives. We are going tomorrow to do some cover and I will have 42g 2's in the Tekny's :beer: .