Can you shoot foxes with an air rifle ?

Blackbart

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's one thing doing something as stupid as shooting a fox with an air rifle.

However it takes stupidity to an entirely different level talking about it in a magazine which WILL be read by people new to the sport who could well just have airguns. They will all of a sudden think it is acceptable to shoot foxes because a so called expert said so.

It may be he is shooting them in a trap with an FAC rated one, however the damage is done by putting such a moronic thing in print.

FM

However it takes stupidity to an entirely different level talking about it in a magazine which WILL be read by people new to the sport who could well just have airguns. They will all of a sudden think it is acceptable to shoot foxes because a so called expert said so.

It may be he is shooting them in a trap with an FAC rated one, however the damage is done by putting such a moronic thing in print.

FM

My sentiments exactly,well put Ferret.... :beer:

FM

That was my first thought :beer:

And to come from the NGO FIREARMS CONSULTANT is unbelievable.

I would like to hear how he justifies shooting a fox with a air rifle.

March issue sporting gun,

Title of article (ironically) Foxing....Doing it large.

And funnily enough it is all about getting a .270 to shoot foxes OR more to the point trying to get your firearms dept to grant a .270 for foxes :beer:

Hello Blackbart

Thanks for the reply. March this year? as it's only just February? Any chance you could scan it and send it to

I don't want to say silly things that are wrong.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by Axe
REMOVE EMAIL ADDRESS

Fact of the mater might be that a pellet from an air rifle would or could kill a fox either by reducing its hunting potential or by causing infection or both, but starvation or sepsis. Horrible ways to die, long lingering and painful..... Oh and the RSPCA would be down on you like a ton of bricks. The phrase 'full extent of the law' springs to mind.

Edited by alexr

Well mr Wallace, all I can say is, you are a moron for putting something like that to national press.

I hope you are a member of this forum and I hope you have an explanation for your ridiculous comment.

Thanks for feeding 'newbies' bad information, I just hope no-one takes it as advice and doesn't do as this 'professional' does.

Calling all air rifle shooters, don't shoot foxes with your .22 or .177, it will do more harm than good - FACT!!

Edited by SSS

Well mr Wallace, all I can say is, you are a moron for putting something like that to national press.

I hope you are a member of this forum and I hope you have an explanation for your ridiculous comment.

Thanks for feeding 'newbies' bad information, I just hope no-one takes it as advice and doesn't do as this 'professional' does.

Calling all air rifle shooters, don't shoot foxes with your .22 or .177, it will do more harm than good - FACT!!

:beer::lol:

Edited by alexr

There's gonna be a fuss and he'll probably "clarify" that he actually shot the foxes with an FAC .22 air rifle of some description. Obviously if he doesn't have FAC air actually on his ticket then no doubt he will elaborate that it was with a mate who does [etc blah blah etc].

Mind you, you have to question why he went anywhere near the thorny issue of airguns and foxes in a national shooting mag. Now that's just daft. Indeed, if you look at the text, the context and the purpose of the article it doesn't actually add anything. Staying schtum and losing 2 lines of text would have seemed like the more sensible option altogether.

I have used a 12ft lbs .177s with no probs at about 20 yards with carefully placed headshots maybe 30 years ago before I had powder rifles. Legally yes you can, morally no you certainly should not. Even a 12 bore needs to be close or be suitably loaded with BBs or similar.

Centerfire fire is by far the most humane and cleanest way.

A

I agree - why would you want to use the minimally effective weapon when you could and should use the optimal weapon to ensure a clean kill and the minimum of suffering to the animal? Of course an air rifle COULD kill a fox or indeed a person but it is MORE LIKELY simply to injure both. I have seen good experienced shots take two or more shots with a shotgun to kill a fox.

AlbertJ

so i am new to the sport...i have a bsa lightning xl tac....would pellets would i use to take out a fox then??? :lol: :wacko: :beer::lol::stupid:

There's quite a quick and simple answer to this question - YOU DON'T USE A SUB 12FT/LB AIR RIFLE TO SHOOT FOX

If any "newbies are reading through this thread all I can say is "PLease do not even think about taking a fox with an air rifle, no matter what the magazine article says a sub 12 foot pound air rifle is not designed to kill foxes humanely and if you do try and get found out you are likely to find your self in deep trouble"![/

Edited by Frenchieboy

Its good to see that the majority of responses condemn the use of an air rifle to shoot a fox.

I think the article has achieved what it intended, got people talking about Sporting Gun Magazine, The NGO and its "Firearms Consultant" Mr G Wallace.

Unfortunately, I doubt its done the NGO or Mr G Wallace a lot of good.

I have an AA 410 classic .177,and would never consider shooting a fox/deer/geese or anything that is not legal quarry for an air rifle.the shot gun i bought off my uncle baikal o/u 12g has shot a multitude of fox.

Don't worry about the air gun shooters,they know the law,check out aaoc(airarmsownersclub)cant think any of them would consider shooting a fox with an air rifle,am surprised this article was allowed to print.

I have used a 12ft lbs .177s with no probs at about 20 yards with carefully placed headshots maybe 30 years ago before I had powder rifles. Legally yes you can, morally no you certainly should not. Even a 12 bore needs to be close or be suitably loaded with BBs or similar.

Centerfire fire is by far the most humane and cleanest way.

A

I have an Airwolf .22 and would have no qualms whatsoever, bowling Reynard completely senseless at 25 yards. Straight between the eyes-check that. Mess with my three chickens and I will end your life, fact jack! :lol: