All the Pigeons have disappeared in Essex?

blasterjudd

They've all flown north!

I've been running up the A1 today from Newcastle to Haggerston/Beal area and seen thousands on the rape fields .......... I struggled to keep my eyes on the road, which is not good in 32ton of tipper wagon. :good:

I seen the big numbers between Purdey lodge and the Lowick Rd so if anyone has permissions around those areas then I would get extra carts in. :yes:

Plenty round this way but we reckon that this last couple of months have been the hardest ever to shoot them. They just will not decoy and we have tried every possible configuration of different decoys. Even pulled out the garage and dusted down some rock 'ard plastic full bodies that break when you put the peg in, they are so brittle and tried them, to no avail.

They barely decoy to dead birds either and the best day out of the last 7 has been 30 birds, the worst has been 2.

The upside is I have taken my single barrel Cooley out and dusted it down, to use on the next jaunt. If Oz and I are only going to have one shot each, may as well give it an airing. Murphy's law says they will come in a treat though and I will be falling about trying to load the thing in time for the next bird.

In Essex the pigeons have all but disappeared, has anyone else noticed this sudden change?

40 guns roosting last week and only 20 birds shot all over 3000 acres no birds in sight.

Any ideas whats happening in this area? is it the weather???

there are big flocks in my part of kent went out on sat and baged 50 in 5hrs Edited by pigeon sam

hi guys

i live in wickford and on one of my shoots in hanngingfield there is thousands on this little rape field =but you no what happens one shot and there all gone to the next field! im waiting for another 3 of my mates to be free so we can all occupy a field each and give em ago! there still here just being crafty so&so's tho!

Tom

Edited by tomhw100

Thousands in my neck of the woods at the moment more than ive seen in all my pigeon shooting days anyway and other pigeon shooters are saying the same ,with good bags being taken ,i hope to join that club tomorrow as was watching a cover strip today with well over 4000 birds on have stocked up on shells and will be there first thing :good:

Been all rubbish here in Suffolk, best last weekend since Oct/Nov last year, 41 but I reckon I was lucky, everyone I know is complaining, I have seen some big flocks but no chance of getting them, I keep trying though :good: and it get me out of the house and all them little jobs women find for you :good:

Alan

vampire

Perhaps you ought to venture into suffolk,regular flocks of 300+,seen one field and must have been 2000 at least.

As I said above seen them but cant get near them you having better luck then?

Edited by Alanl50

Hit and miss over here, although the birds are definitely starting to flock in larger groups.

Problem is that one day they are all over the rape and the next few days they aren't - so hard to know when and where they'll be. I need to get out a lot more watching them but having to go to work ruins everything :good:

Not long until they start drilling the peas (assuming it stops raining soon)

Not long until they start drilling the peas (assuming it stops raining soon)

Thats being hopeful beans maybe peas your be lucky .

Very little land preperation going on yet but it been the best ploughing conditions I have had in my very short time of driving 20 years.

The ground has really broken p with the hard frosts perfect and in our area dry untill today.

Back to a little hedgetrimming.

Regards OTH

are they decoying for you ok a lot of people are sayin they are a nightmare to decoy but iv found them ok :good:

Not really mate, They are all in large flocks at the moment and they are not using flightlines like they normally do.

As soon as they come over the hedge from what ever direction they are coming from they just land straight away and you could have the best pattern and gadgetry but they still wont come over.

We have been getting all our numbers while either driving round the farm shooting different sitty trees and hedge rows or just shooting them as they come into the woods to roost.