Breitling watch........is it fake?

agusta

I've just been given a Breitling watch, I dont have a clue if its fake or not!

The second hand is smooth, logo is embossed.

post-9294-1269959877.jpg

post-9294-1269960030.jpg

:drinks:

I would say fake the rear case isnt crisp and it does not have the feel of quality,logo is a bit strange,and anchor is not sharp

what is the sweep like on second hand,this will tell you a lot,asking price will determin alot if i was buying a 3k watch i would take it to a expert if its a fake you will soon know,in thailand they go for $30 and a pigs head

check it out dont be pulled in by shiney bling,be safe ???

My Main Hobby ( and my Fathers ) other than Shooting & Fishing is watch collecting. I have 140 odd various watches he has over 1000.!

Take my word for it.... its without doubt a replica and a poor one at that.

However some of the Replica/Fake watches have very very good Japanese Movements. Like cars they take watch movements and improve them. If it keeps good time why not wear it.!

You would be very suprised at the number of Rich and famous who buy and wear replica watches.!

Also the Navitimer is an automatic watch, remove the case and examine the movement, you might be lucky and have a Japanese automatic movement then agan it might be a cheap japanese battery operated quartz.

My best purchase was a genuine Omega Seamaster which I bought in a car boot in fakenham for 7.50.!!!!

My Dads a 14 Ct Gold Patek Phillipe, Gentlemans wristwatch circa 1940 for...........wait for it......5 shillings and six pence.....

now worth nearly 9k !!!! so they are about..... but getting rarer.

the first thing is is an automatic or is it quartz. if it is quartz definetly a copy. secondly check out the repgeeek forum someone there will most certainly be able to tell you how to check it.

i had a copy quartz navitimer as my daily wearer and it was really accurate it took some serious abuse which had it cost £4000.00 i would have been really upset about.

i keep the real deal for weekend wear when it wont run the risk of serious damage.

Don't be surprised if they hit it with a hammer though.

Surely the weight is a dead give away?

I'm a Rolex man myself, have a GMT Master II but my friend runs a £4.2k Breitling, the strap broke on it last year and it was away at Breitling for 4 months during which time they loaned him a special edition monstrosity (I really don't like Breitlings) valued at £6k. I tell you, it was like something out of a christmas cracker! For something so rediculously large it weighed about 10 grams!!!!! if he'd told me it was made of (very thin) tin coated plastic I would have believed him so weight is not a good indicator with Breits.

The only way to be sure is a. contact Breitling with the serial number to ensure it was a genuinely issued number and then b. get a Breit dealer to take the back off and check the movement. I have seen first hand a chinese copy of my Rolex and beleive me, unless you put them side by side and scruitinise every mm, it's impossible to tell the difference, in fact the only give away with mine was the fact that it's impossible to replicate the look of real platinum and so where my bezel is inlaid with the shiny stuff, the fake looked very grey and drab, other than that, no difference..

So....... get it to a dealer to be sure!

Edited by Vipa

:no:

the giant plastic ring is a bit of a dead giveaway. If my watch had that in it, I'd send it back. I wouldn't pay nearly 4 grand for a watch that was supported by a bit of plastic.

Fake, I'm sorry to say.

Action looks rather tidy, but seriously lacking some gold, which should be there. What about the back bit you took off, does the inside face have any circular markings where it's been cut from a solid block of metal, or does it just look like pressed metal?