my first hare

garybiker

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh dear Gary, i hope you haven't opened a can of worms and started another one of those mammoth threads about shooting hares with air rifles!!!!

Personally, i would not have taken that shot, but you felt confident and comfortable to do so, and your decision at that time turned out well for you, however, your decision to post it on this site was not a good one. As ive stated before, you can go from the hunter to the hunted on here, so get ready for some flack mate!!!

Oh dear Gary, i hope you haven't opened a can of worms and started another one of those mammoth threads about shooting hares with air rifles!!!!

Personally, i would not have taken that shot, but you felt confident and comfortable to do so, and your decision at that time turned out well for you, however, your decision to post it on this site was not a good one. As ive stated before, you can go from the hunter to the hunted on here, so get ready for some flack mate!!!

ok cheers nick .it was a good shot and a clean kill .i was confident with my gun as its used on a 50 yard range in my local gun club weekly. as for the can of worms do you have a spare lid i can have please :good:

Sorry but I won't be leaving a well done comment.

I would never shoot a hare with an air rifle because they are too big. The size difference between a fox and a hare is very small, and as we know from the air rifle/fox debate is that is a no go.

And at 150yards or feet, it was a stupid shot.

Another thing is, the hares have not long had leveretts, so again another reason for not doing it.

Before anyone jumps on anything I have said, it is my opinion :lol:

:good:

Would you agree that 150 yrds or 50yrds which ever it was, is too far to kill a hare with a legal limit air rifle?

or more to the point as most have leverts at the moment and then not eating it cos its jackets dirty

you killed freddie,s mum you ba :lol::lol::D:D

:good:

or more to the point as most have leverts at the moment and then not eating it cos its jackets dirty

you killed freddie,s mum you ba :D:D:lol::D

Cocker please don’t show Freddie this post, it might set him back a bit...P.S nice work with him by the way..

As for the shot yes it's dead did it need to be :lol::lol: But if all your fact are right then yes nice shot!! but do i agree sorry no not this time.

But like the rest say you should clean it down and eat it or find a home for it never waste it :lol: ... also remember what has been said about leverets you may well of killed more then one on the night now. :lol:

post-10973-1271833564.jpg has anyone seen my mum

no worrys alax m8 you mite get a hare one day :lol::good:

I shot 38 over the course of two days on hare shoots thanks, all with 4's from a shotgun and no where near that range. Wait till you injure one which you will shooting at that range with an airgun and the noise will haunt you. Some things just aren't on and this is one of them, get yourself properly equipped for your quarry as you aren't at the moment

I love all of the "confident at 50-60 yard headshot" guys. I think you should have a go, just once, at HFT or FT, because shooting like you do, you would win every time. But ofcourse whatever reason, for you won't.

Get yourself an FAC, pick up a rimmy and you will be in business, or a shotgun. Both are far better suited to what you are doing and what, sooner or later you are going to mess up and have a screaming hare on your case.

i say gary you done it m8 and yes heres that lid for that can of worms you opened but as far as the hares concerned i would have skinned it and eaten it but lil bit of friendly advice from somebody with past experience some guys on here mean well and know what there talking about but sometimes have a tendency to come across like bum holes and patronising but mean well some just are bum holes but dont take it to heart however i would say only target stuff you know you can definately kill . its never good injuring quarry so just bare that in mind and i'd put that lid on the worms m8 :P:stupid:

It not my cup of tea shooting hares with a air rifle .

But I have seen some shooters just as likely to injury a animal at 20 yards so distance is not always a problem 50 yards is possable but a real stretch .

But with some of the cartridge to kill ratios highlighted on this very forum I would guess there is far more shooters injurying pigeons than the thread starter with his air rifle .So all us shooters should put it into context can we hand heart say with have never left a animal to suffer errrr NO.

But we must insure that we use the correct weapons with the correct calibire for the quarry and in one short answer a air rifle below FAC is not enough as a general rule of thumb for a large adult hare IMO.

Kind regards OTH

Acording to my calculations A .22 air rifle at 11.6 fp at the muzzle should have a residual energy of 7.75 fpounds at 50 yards. enough to kill a hare or rabbits with head shots at that range. bit dodgy a shot for a lot of airgunners at that range (myself included) more likely to be body shot by most, not to be recomended unless by the most skilled shooter. :hmm:

Of course.. why shoot a hare this time of year anyway, unless they are a real pest in your area.
Another thing is, the hares have not long had leveretts, so again another reason for not doing it.

Most people treat Hares as Game & respect their breading season

Back to the popgun debate, pellet energy/enough to kill/headshot/superdupa popgun etc :hmm:

Not having a go, but for those who have got the experience in the field, the above quotes say it all.

Just my opinion, as al4x said, get equipped, & just because there no close season doesn't mean it's right,

BJ

The tool is up to the job at 50 yards, its the bit behind the butt that may not be.

We see them at the FT club. Great hunters, who miss a complete face plate at 55 yards.

You took the shot, it worked ok. Well done on that bit. Slight bit of breeze and the outcome would have been different. My own small opnion for what its worth is 50 yards is too far unless conditions are perfect.

I let a hare go last week. 25 yards !! 5 munites watching, then chased him away so the owner did not see !

For me I had no reason to shoot it, and even at 25 yards I was not going to take a chance with a legal limit air rifle.

Everyone has to make your own call.

Edited by Andy 01

1. 50 yrds is not an increidbly far shot for an air rifle. thats my max on a windless day. i can consistently get a 0.75" group at 50yrds from a bipod.

2. if your a good enough shot the hares are fine airgun quarry. if a pellet hits the brain cavity at even 3ftib it will kill a hare.

3. i would not shoot them (as well as wood pigeons) at this time of year as this is the time of year when they have leverets (andwoodys have chicks) and i would hate to be the one who let leverets/chicks suffer and starve to death slowly.

i dont thikn many people actually know the range of an airgun. theres a guy on youtube who consistently kills rabbits to 90yrds with a sub 12ftib air rifle (and the help of a pocket computer with chairgun on it, a digital windometer and a big scope). here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jm004a1098#p/

1. 50 yrds is not an increidbly far shot for an air rifle. thats my max on a windless day. i can consistently get a 0.75" group at 50yrds from a bipod.

2. if your a good enough shot the hares are fine airgun quarry. if a pellet hits the brain cavity at even 3ftib it will kill a hare.

3. i would not shoot them (as well as wood pigeons) at this time of year as this is the time of year when they have leverets (andwoodys have chicks) and i would hate to be the one who let leverets/chicks suffer and starve to death slowly.

i dont thikn many people actually know the range of an airgun. theres a guy on youtube who consistently kills rabbits to 90yrds with a sub 12ftib air rifle (and the help of a pocket computer with chairgun on it, a digital windometer and a big scope). here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jm004a1098#p/

In that video he used a .17HMR Aaron