Post your pig!

Sammy_D

Hey guys. Im thinking of getting a bit of land off my boss and getting a few pigs. Ive already read up about heard numbers and all that stuff on defra and spoke to many people about it all.

My only question is what would be the best pig to get. I would love to be able to get 4. Poss 1 bore and 3 females. But then thinking 4 females and borrow a bore.

Would like to have a pig that are known for having a larger number of piglets and are for their meat.

So... Suggestions please. and please post pics of your pigs and pig pens lol

Thanks

Sammy D

Hey guys. Im thinking of getting a bit of land off my boss and getting a few pigs. Ive already read up about heard numbers and all that stuff on defra and spoke to many people about it all.

My only question is what would be the best pig to get. I would love to be able to get 4. Poss 1 bore and 3 females. But then thinking 4 females and borrow a bore.

Would like to have a pig that are known for having a larger number of piglets and are for their meat.

So... Suggestions please. and please post pics of your pigs and pig pens lol

Thanks

Sammy D

If its just for personal use I'd go for the bog standard large white/landrace/duroc blend. Easy to work with, fast growing, hybrid vigour.

Why do you want a boar?

Here's a picture of mine.

I’ve got four Oxford Sandy & Blacks, or Oxford Forest Pigs, which is a traditional breed with a reputation for being hardy, easy going and with less of a tendency than some to put on fat (but they all can do).

They’re good foragers but haven’t shown any particular desire to test the fencing yet. I’m not sure that many traditional breeds are known for being prolific breeders, but that wasn’t a factor I was interested in. Currently 11 weeks old, I’ll keep these four gilts till the beginning of August when they’ll be just over 6 months old and should kill out at about 60kg each.

This was them yesterday deciding that their drinking water was a better option for a wallow than the one I’d specially dug and watered.

(Apologies to any serious pig farmers).

Here's a picture of mine.

I’ve got four Oxford Sandy & Blacks, or Oxford Forest Pigs, which is a traditional breed with a reputation for being hardy, easy going and with less of a tendency than some to put on fat (but they all can do).

They’re good foragers but haven’t shown any particular desire to test the fencing yet. I’m not sure that many traditional breeds are known for being prolific breeders, but that wasn’t a factor I was interested in. Currently 11 weeks old, I’ll keep these four gilts till the beginning of August when they’ll be just over 6 months old and should kill out at about 60kg each.

This was them yesterday deciding that their drinking water was a better option for a wallow than the one I’d specially dug and watered.

(Apologies to any serious pig farmers).

:):rolleyes:

They look great!

go for 4 sows and find a local pig farmer who can AI them for you to save the agro of a boar or taking them to one. We used to have a gloucester old spot I think it was great but I would say if you had just two you will get a surprising amount of meat from them

go for 4 sows and find a local pig farmer who can AI them for you to save the agro of a boar or taking them to one. We used to have a gloucester old spot I think it was great but I would say if you had just two you will get a surprising amount of meat from them

Yea, thats why I questioned the reasoning for the boar. AI'ing pigs is pretty straight forward, you'd be able to do it yourself if you get the straws and the kit.

Windrush, is ther enot a problem with your photo? I can see grass!!! How come it is not a sea of mud?

Well spotted, it’s all a lie. Hours and hours of photoshop work went into producing this most topical of allegorical compositions.

That’s Clegg, Brown and Cameron fighting over the white and pure vessel of parliamentary power; sullied and muddied by their desperate efforts to attain it. But they won’t overturn it as it’s held firm in the circular tyre of our unwritten constitution.

One of the statesmen appears to have tired and, of the other two, one seems to be using his head whilst the other is using the bulk of his rear.

Beyond, you can see the green and pleasant land of our country bounded by a fence, or is it? But, hold fast, who’s that faceless fourth person lurking in the shadows of the unflatteringly depicted House of Commons behind?

Had a lot of pigs over the years. A few of my favorites are GOS (these can go to fat quite quickly) Tamworths (very good at escaping) and my all time favorite the Cornish Black or Large Black, great meat and very friendly pigs. Got 2 of these going to slaugter later this week. Also have 2 of these for breeding.

GOS crosses i think.

GOS.jpg

Cornish Blacks about 8 or 9 weeks old

Blackssmall.jpg

Cornish Blacks just about ready for slaugter. :)

Blackslarge.jpg

windrush and rimfire. Love your pigs . Love the all blacks and the orange markings.

Do you guys keep them in around an electric fence? How much would you pay for a piglet? or does it orderpend on the breed?

I have always used electic fence to keep my pigs in. 3 strands, i first about 8" off the ground the next about 12" from the ground the last one at about 2' off the ground. I use a 12volt system as i have no mains near my pigs, i have a few escapes now and again normaly when the battery gets low. They never go very far and always come back when i call and have a bucket of feed for them.

I would pay around £25 - £35 for a 8 week old weaner. You can pay more. But for that money around here you can get a pure bred rare breed.

If you are looking for the best meat you can get, raise your own.

Anything else let me know.

windrush and rimfire. Love your pigs . Love the all blacks and the orange markings.

Do you guys keep them in around an electric fence? How much would you pay for a piglet? or does it orderpend on the breed?

For new pigs I go for a low stock fence with one strand of electric about 200mm above ground. Whilst they're getting used to electric they can as often bolt through it as retreat back. They soon get used to this and thereafter you can just use two or three stands of electric if you want to move them around. 12v for me too, with a 4w solar trickle charger to help extend the life of the battery. As rimfire4969 says, they can't help but respond to the sound of food if they escape (no experience of Tamworths, though). Price, £40-£45 for mine.

rimfire4969 - interested to know what yield you get from yours this week.

Damn, If only I'd read this post before i went on my sight seeing trip in Chennai today. Saw 2 pigs that belonged to other people in separate incidents being chased by half a dozen guys at a time. Perhaps it was Chennai pig chasing day!?

Anyway, I kid you not, one brushed me as it ran by (my chaperone was horrified), I just found the squealing of the pigs a welcome break from the continuous noise of people honking their horns in the traffic.

The first pig got carried back up the street without being tied up; didn't stop it squealing like a porcus mind. The second was big, several guys had it pinned down and didn't seem too sure what to do with it next.

Despite having a camera I didn't think of taking a piccy for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...

Unable to find any Oxford Forrest Pigs anywhere in Canada, I purchased Old English Blacks this time around. If I like them I may even keep the little sow, SUZY, as a breeder.

I am interested in finding out about bringing in a couple of the Oxfords at around 8 weeks of age though. Does anybody know which carrier it would be that they would fly with?

SUZY is the second from the left. :w00t:

img_2484.jpg

img_2485.jpg

img_2488.jpg

I am interested in finding out about bringing in a couple of the Oxfords at around 8 weeks of age though. Does anybody know which carrier it would be that they would fly with?

Not sure, El Al? You're going to run into swine flew issues whichever you choose.