Shots fired in Cumbria?

RC45

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep he has been found dead in woodland - firearm close by, apparently a farmer was shot dead along with 10 others in the face, so not a nice sight for those who found them.

They are already talking about gun control, typical nutters spoil it for everyone.

could this be 'have a final clean of all our toys' we might be handing them in soon? :no:

Please don't forget, semi auto centre fires, assault rifles and even pistols have no justifiable place in private ownership. Target shooting is/was a concession not a necessity. Deer management, crop protection, pest control are all necessary evils and the tools for the job are shotguns/rifles.

It is highly unlikely that they would be banned as the countryside and animals and farmers would all suffer..... won't happen!

What may happen is what my mate has been wittering on about, that the establishment may not in the future see punching holes in paper as a realistic and necessary reason to own firearms!

Well said Vipa, it will depend whether this was a legal firearm or not we don't know. If it was legal then they will look at why he had a ticket and what went wrong in the licensing procedure and whether any lessons can be learned. So far no one has suggested he has a ticket AFAIK

Well said Vipa, it will depend whether this was a legal firearm or not we don't know. If it was legal then they will look at why he had a ticket and what went wrong in the licensing procedure and whether any lessons can be learned. So far no one has suggested he has a ticket AFAIK

The simple fact is that there is no cast iron way to prevent this from happening. I'm sure the FEO who gave him his ticket would attest to his fitness to own a firearm, sometimes people just go mental, there's no accounting for it.

We have an incredibly low rate of gun crime in the U.K and a very sensible (for the most part) licensing system. But if there are guns in the country, people will be shot with them, simple as that.

Altering the requirements for legal gun ownership will not alter any of these facts or make anyone any safer I dont think.

Some of the victims families don't even know their loved ones have been shot yet. What a tradgedy.

My heart goes out to all those involved. Just heard the senior officer state that there will be an investigation focusing on a number of areas. These did not include where he got hold of the weapon. I hope it was illegaly held, but I still think this will cause a back lash. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. It's bad when the best is 11 shot by mad man with illegal hand gun. Again my thoughts are with his victims and their families

My heart goes out to all those involved. Just heard the senior officer state that there will be an investigation focusing on a number of areas. These did not include where he got hold of the weapon. I hope it was illegaly held, but I still think this will cause a back lash. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. It's bad when the best is 11 shot by mad man with illegal hand gun. Again my thoughts are with his victims and their families

We can speculate all day but until the police release the facts we will not know the facts.

Eye witnesses state they saw him with a very big shotgun hanging out of the car window which would point away from a handgun, a doctor who certified the deaths of 2 victims stated they had shotgun wounds....

I fear that if it's a shotgun it will turn out to be legally held and, if that's the case, we will have some sort of public and political backlash and quite possibly a tightenning of the SGC thumb screws, maybe even going down the NI line and making all firearms, SG or FA fall under one stricter FAC! I wouldn't worry however about SGs and rifles being banned outright, as I have previously pointed out, they are valuable tools with few if any alternatives, we may however see target shooting (and for that matter even clay shooting) removed from being legitimate reasons to possess.... I hope not but past UK government actions would certainly point in that sort of general direction!

My old mate from Cumbria phoned me; He knew the bloke who did this. Attended his Dive Club at Whitehaven. Knew him as a fisherman and scuba diver but he never talked guns or shooting. Divorced but took his lad swimming regularly. Said what we usually hear "normal sort of bloke etc".

Edited by Cranfield