BASC calls on shooters to lobby MPs. Press release.

I was thinking along these lines the other day and it's a double edged sword. I went to the docs 4 or 5 years ago as I was (as a large number of us are nowadays) getting very stressed/down with work and he put me on prozac , which I didn't like and after a few months came off 'em. Business improved and I got my head out of my a.r.s.e. and got on with it but that has left a 'depression' stamp on my medical records which was declared on my SGC & FAC apps. Certainly doesn't mean I am any more likely to be a future raving nut than any one else. My concern though is that if a ticket holder started developing mental health issues but knew that if he went to his GP, those issues would be automaticaly passed on to plod, he may be far less likely to go to his GP in the first place for fear of losing his ticket. You then have the situation where someone with mild, easily treatable, mental health issues could go undiagnosed and untreated and so decend into something potentially dangerous.

I think youre spot on here,

Whatever they do they will never be able to legislate against someone having a breakdown and doing something terrible.

I think we have to accept that when these things happen, although terrible, are pretty rare.

If they could give a precise figure as to how many fac/sgc are held in the UK and then find the percentage of these that go on to be involved in violent crime like the recent events than i think well see that things are actually very well controlled already.

Just my pennies worth.

Found this,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/20...ficates-shotgun

quotes 1.8million legally held shotguns and rifles

Edited by joke209061

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was concened about that as well, I would not consider myself as an "expert", so I changed that part to " I strongly suggest that you consult/view the information from shooting organisations, i.e. BASC before taking part in any further debates/voting on these issues, particularly regarding the important role of shooting in a rural constituency such as yours"

Though not a member of BASC, I do support their intention and I too have sent off the mail to my MP. I do hope for their help (BASC) should he take me up on the offer, though probably not my MP, as he is a supporter.

I do feel after reading some of the replies on here, that some MP's do need further education.

Dear All,

Just to update you, our Chief Executive, John Swift, has written to the CEO's of the other shooting organisations asking them to work with us and promote the lobbying site to all their members, we are waiting for their replies, which I trust will be positive.

David

Even though i'm not a member of BASC,I sent an e-mail to my MP Adam Holloway,and received a positive reply back.He's an FAC and SGC holder, and in his words "very much on-side", We are in the process of arranging for my friend and I to take him out vermin shooting with rifles,and to do some pigeon shooting as well.

Alan :good: :blink: :good:

I've received a reply from my local MP.

Dear Mr Imperfection,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragedy in Cumbria.

My thoughts are with the relatives of those who have been killed or injured and with the wider community in Cumbria. Both the Prime Minister and the Home Secretary have visited Cumbria and the West Cumberland Hospital to pay tribute to the staff who dealt with the aftermath of this horrific incident.

It is imperative at this time that we give the police the time and space to conduct their ongoing investigation into this tragedy. Where there are lessons to be learned or changes to be made, my colleagues in Government have pledged to respond to these.

I am, however, conscious that it would be unwise for us to respond to the events in Cumbria with a knee-jerk reaction. My colleagues in Government are already reviewing gun legislation and it is only right that they are given the opportunity to consider in detail whether it is necessary to make any changes in the light of this tragic event.

I do myself enjoy shooting and can assure you that I would wish for all gun ban charges only to be made with the greatest of care.

If you wish to visit my surgery to discuss this issue further please contact *** ******* ***** ******, to make an appointment.

Thank you for contacting me on this issue.

Yours sincerely,

Jonathan Djanogly

Atleast he isnt anti gun.

Maybe this is a sensible precaution and might be seen to be enough action.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10316819.stm

Like I say, will more than likely stop a ticket holder going to their GP if they think it will put their licences at risk which could in the long term create a much more serious problem!

I was a little shocked at this statement

"The BMA says doctors have always been prepared to breach confidentiality and inform on patients if they have concerns about their mental health."

Hi,

Contacted my MP, below is a copy of his response to me today,

We should all do our bit, by contacting our MPs, use the draft letter on BASC wedsite

Thanks for your email. It is absolutely true that legislation could probably not have had much affect on this case, though I'll wait to hear from any more formal inquiries into the background before coming to a conclusion. While I hear what you say about shooting sports and potential future reform, I'm also aware of strong feelings on the other side of the argument. Nevertheless, I'll listen carefully to any future debates - and I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch,Chris Leslie

Sent: 09 June 2010 22:42To:

LESLIE, ChristopherCc: politics@basc.org.ukSubject: Support shooting

:hmm:

I recieved a few sentences back today, essentially it read: 'Following the tragedy in Cumbria, I think it is right to hold a review into laws surrounding gun ownership. The review should be measured, and take into account all views, including those who shoot for sport' so not really giving an idea on where she stands?

BASC calls for shooters to lobby MPs. (Press release)

9th June 2010……………………………………………………………immediate release

The UK’s largest shooting organisation, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC), is calling on its members and others who shoot to lobby their MPs in advance of a parliamentary debate on firearms laws in the wake of the murders in Cumbria.

BASC has launched a campaigning website which allows people to look up their local MP by postcode, constituency name or the name of the MP. The results show whether an MP has indicated if they are supportive of, or opposed to, shooting. An email text is then made available, which can be edited and altered if desired.

BASC spokesman Simon Clarke said: “While our thoughts are very much with the people of Cumbria as they cope with the aftermath of this appalling tragedy, inevitably media and public attention has been drawn to the UK’s firearms licensing laws. Those who are opposed to the lawful use of guns have not been slow in putting their views across and shooting must make sure that its voice is heard. We urge everyone who is involved in shooting to visit the BASC website and to take a few short minutes to send a message to their local elected representative. It’s also vitally important that they send responses back to us. All the details are on the website which can also be found here.”

The email to MPs sets out the value of shooting to the countryside and to the economy, where it generates £1.6 billion pounds a year, and asks them to consider the damage that knee-jerk legislation would do to lawful and responsible shooting and the countryside. It also offers them a chance to find out more about shooting in their constituency.

Simon Clarke said: “While professional campaigning groups such as BASC have their work to do, nothing gets through to an MP more quickly than a message from one of their own constituents, so we are calling on everyone to play their part to back up the work we will be undertaking.” ENDS

Hi,

Contacted my MP, below is a copy of his response to me today,

We should all do our bit, by contacting our MPs, use the draft letter on BASC wedsite

Thanks for your email. It is absolutely true that legislation could probably not have had much affect on this case, though I'll wait to hear from any more formal inquiries into the background before coming to a conclusion. While I hear what you say about shooting sports and potential future reform, I'm also aware of strong feelings on the other side of the argument. Nevertheless, I'll listen carefully to any future debates - and I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch,Chris Leslie

Sent: 09 June 2010 22:42To:

LESLIE, ChristopherCc: politics@basc.org.ukSubject: Support shooting

FROM discreet hunter

Hi, Wasn't going to vote for the candidate who was always going to win anyway so I didn't check him out. Here we are in East Devon which doesn't come much more rural and he turns out to be "unknown".' Not sufficient information.......'; damn me, all he has to do is open his front door and he's surrounded by shooters. He'll go far provided he doesn't accidentally nod off and fall off the fence.

Hi, Guys.

Are there any shooters from the East Devon Constituency who've, A, done the business and, B, excluding the automated acknowledgement, actually had a response?

Cheers

I had a reply form my MP today by post. Dave Watts MP Labour member for St. Helens North Constituency says:

"Thank you for your receny email regarding shooting in the aftermath of the shocking events in Cumbria. It is my view that we should not change current legislation unles there was firm evidence that change was needed. Consequently, I accept the views that you express"

I'll post this reply on the special BASC website.

webber

I have received the following reply from Geoffrey Clifton Brown (Con) MP for the Cotswolds constituency. This was a posted letter and was hand signed. Of note he had taken the trouble to underline “well” in para 4.

Dear Mr XXXX

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragedy in Cumbria.

My thoughts are with the relatives of those who have been killed or injured and with the wider community in Cumbria. Both the Prime Minister and the Home Secretary have visited Cumbria and the West Cumberland Hospital to pay tribute to the staff who dealt with the aftermath of this horrific incident.

It is imperative at this time that we give the police the time and space to conduct their ongoing investigation into this tragedy. Where there are lessons to be learned or changes to be made, my colleagues in government have pledged to respond to these.

I am however conscious that it would be unwise for us to respond to the events in Cumbria with a knee jerk reaction, which as you note is a point the Prime Minister has also made. I can also assure you that I am well aware of the importance of sports shooting in the Cotswolds and have corresponded with a number of people on the subject.

Whilst my colleagues in government are already reviewing gun legislation and it is only right that they are given the opportunity to consider in detail whether it is necessary to make any changes in light of this tragic event

Yours sincerely

Geoffrey Clifton Brown

Edited by Blunderbuss

got a letter back today not read it yet myself – the wife’s just phoned,

But basically says to early for her to comment

And waiting for the police to do there findings first

I offered her to come and see our shooting ground and participate in a practise session. She said that she would love to come and join us one day but her schedule is fully booked for the next few months.

Don’t know if it’s a brush off or if she will come? But she’ll be buying her own bacon barm and cup of tea. :( ;-)

I got this back today ....

Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your email.

Please be assured I am conscious that it would be unwise to respond to the tragic events in Cumbria with a knee-jerk reaction. Like you, I have been very impressed with the Government's behaviour on this matter. You will be aware that the Government is reviewing gun legislation and I think it is only right that they are given the opportunity to consider in detail whether it is necessary to make any changes.

Yours

XXX

Dear Mr Roach,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me and I appreciate your concerns about potential knee-jerk legislation.

Recent tragic events in Cumbria have shown why there is a genuine need to regulate the availability of firearms and other offensive weapons in the face of violent crime. Such a tragedy has served to highlight the dangers of firearms and my thoughts are with those families affected by the events there. The police investigation is ongoing and it is imperative that the police are given the time and space to conduct that investigation fully. The Home Secretary, the Rt Hon. Theresa May MP has indicated that where there are lessons to be learned or changes made following the horrific events in Cumbria, the Government will respond to these.

I can appreciate your concern about access to weapons for legitimate sporting purposes. The government is, at present, reviewing gun legislation and whilst it does not wish to penalize legitimate sporting activities, in the current circumstances, the overriding priority must be the effective prevention of violent crime involving guns. I will, however, make my colleagues in the Home Office team aware of your concerns.

Thank you, once again, for writing to me.

Yours sincerely,

Nigel Adams MP

Member of Parliament for Selby and Ainsty

Not so sure on that to be honest

George

Edited by groach1234

I had this reply from my MP.

Dear Mr **********

Thank you for your email.

I understand your concerns about events in Cumbria, and to an extent share your view.

I do accept, however, that a significant number of people do shoot as a sport and

may, outside being a game warden, rely on guns as part of their jobs. I also

accept your point about the economic and environmental impact of shooting.

I think it is important to remember, during any review, that we have some of the

toughest gun controls in the world and will certainly bear this in mind during the

debate.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about this matter.

Yours sincerely

Alan Campbell MP

Tynemouth

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the terrible events in Cumbria.

Like you,I was shocked by these murders but i am very conscious of the legitimate need to hold firearms for sport and in the rural economy.

I have recieved many representations from constituents on this matter and i would be pleased to recieve any further information you feel would be helpful and i await your further communication.

Yours sincerely,Stewart Hosie MP.

Dundee east.

I got a letter in the post last week with a reply from my MP, Mr Rob Wilson, Reading East, Conservative and according to the BASC website, supportive of shooting:

17 June 2010

Dear Mr XXX,

Thank you for your email with regard to the tragedy in Cumbria.

My thoughts are with the relatives of those who have been killed or injured and with the wider community in Cumbria. Both the prime Minister and the Home Secretary have visited Cumbria and the West Cumberland Hospital to pay tribute to the staff who dealt with the aftermath of this horrific incident.

It is imperative at this time that we give the police the time and space to conduct their ongoing investigation into this tragedy. Where there are lessons to be learned or changes to be made, my colleagues in Government have pledged to respond to these.

Nevertheless, I can appreciate your concern about access to weapons for legitimate sporting purposes and I am conscious that it would be unwise for us to respond to the events in Cumbria with a knee-jerk reaction. My colleagues in Government are already reviewing gun legislation and are aware of your concerns. However, it is only right that they are given the opportunity to consider in detail whether it is necessary to make any changes in light of this tragic event.

I would be happy to meet you in person at one of our surgeries on a Friday afternoon if you would like to discuss this further. If you would like to do so, please contact my office on XXXX to arrange a suitable time

Yours sincerely,

Rob Wilson MP

Member of Parliament for Reading East

Hi,

Just had a reply from my (cons., East Devon) MP. Virtually identical to those posted by members who also have Cons. MPs. Except that he goes on to say he's made representations to Ministers on behlf of other constituents who wrote in similar terms and will advise of the response. However, again it looks as though the politicians will not wait until the police investigation is complete before reviewing the situation. Won't repeat it, see the second and third paragraphs after the thankyou bit in the reply detailed in the previous post. Where have we heard, "thankyou for your hard work, Lord Cullen, but we've already made our mind up", before?

Response recieved a few days ago:

Dear xxxxxxx

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the recent tragic events which took place in Cumbria.

As you are no doubt aware, details are continuing to emerge in this terrible case and my thoughts are with the relatives of those who have been killed or injured and with the wider community in Cumbria. Both the Prime Minister and the Home Secretary have visited Cumbria and the West Cumberland Hospital to pay tribute to the staff who dealt with the aftermath of this horrific incident.

I am, however, conscious that it would be unwise for us to respond to the events in Cumbria with a knee-jerk reaction. If, following the investigation, it transpires that changes to gun licensing or legislation need to be made, it is only right that my colleagues in government are given the opportunity to consider in detail how best to implement such measures and to ensure the safety of our streets. I can assure you that my colleagues and I will make sure that any changes made are as a result of full analysis.

Once again, thank you for contacting me.

Kind regards

Alistair Burt

(Conservative, North east Bedfordshire)

Sent to BASC

AB