Shotgun slugs and the law.

Ok, before I get loads of condascending replies treating me like I'm stupid, I would like to apologise if the following questions sound stupid.

I have a Bretton Gaucher moderated .410. I have found out it has no choke (tho pattern and range are fine) as the french use them with solid slugs. I know that fewer than 5 projectiles in a cartridge is section 1 ammunition, but.............

Most slugs are hollow at the back. When loading the cartridge, if I were to put half a dozen size 6 shot loose in the cavity, would it then be a shot cartridge? :)

Question 2: I'm tempted to apply for variation for slug anyway as I think that this would be perfect against charlie around my smallholding. What did you do to get your force to allow it? What chance do I have with Devon and Cornwall?

Thanks

Guest cookoff013

5 pieces of shot and a slug is illegal. it would be classed as a slug.

i dont have fac. but u`d rather thump out a big shot cartridge than slug.

most slugs are faster than 1050fps, so in a moderated gun, would still be loud.

I have slug on my ticket.

The ONLY reason for slug is practical shotgun and you can ONLY use it on UKPSA ground. You are not allowed to shoot anything live with it.

I beg to differ,

There are lots of reasons for solid slug, not only PSG. There is also target shotgun events run elsewhere and I also know that someone on here has used them on Wild boar.

Sorry if this de-rails slightly but I've often wondered... Why shotgun slugs? If you have to get them on an FAC why not just ask for a rifle???

Cos I'm tight and don't wanna fork out for another gun! :)

Thanks for your replies, I guess that's that cleared up. :rolleyes:

That's fair enough :)

But in general, do slugs have any advantage over rifle bullets?

The best advantage of slugs is that they are shot from a shotgun . A shot gun is far faster and more pointable to get onto target than a rifle . The slug comes into its own when dealing with wounded ,dangerous big game . Many pro hunters use the slug gun for following up dangerous game . The nearest compromise is the sxs double rifle which will handle almost like a shot gun .

I have shot many deer in new york state with a rifled slug gun and they are devasting on deer up to 100 yards .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

But very, very , deadly .

Harnser .

i concur, 28g, thats about 420 grain of lead whizzing merrily on its way through just about anything it hits.

Sorry harnser, i didn't mean to sound derogatory to your comment. obviously a rifled slug gun is going to be more accurate than just using brennicks, but he did mention that he's a tight wad and didn't want to buy a new gun, hence my reply.

Contary to common belief shot gun slugs are quite accurate in a rifled slug gun and more than accurate enough for deer up to 100 yards . After 100 yards the tragectory then starts to follow the path of a rainbow . Ther is more than enough energy in the slugs at 500 yards to kill most deer . I have seen hunters in the states with optical sights on their slug guns and killing deer clean at 200 yards . They are a slow ,big and deadly round .

Harnser .

Maximum shot size for Section 2 cartridges is .36" -you could load OOO buck and 4 #9 pellets to stay on the right side of the law- no idea what accuracy would be like, though.

I believe all the shot in a cartridge need to be a uniform size... So you can't load one big 'un and a few smaller ones.

quote from 1968 Firearms act... An FAC is not required for

(a) cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds ·36 inch in diameter

so looks like Windknot is on the right lines :)

Can't BELIEVE someone's just said a shotgun slug is a bit 'waltish'.

To O.P - although IPSC and UKPSA aren't the only reasons for slugs, you would not be granted a slot for Fox.

your best bet I'd think would be 3" SSGs, not too knowledgeable on the .410, don't know if a magnum BB would cut it for Fox from a .410 but what do I know

Can't BELIEVE someone's just said a shotgun slug is a bit 'waltish'.

Just my opinion chap, no need to get panties in a twist :)

It all comes down to "tools for the job", my feo won't grant slugs for anything that walks, crawls or slithers.

Other than humane dispatch i don't see the need for them, like i said, just my opinion.

Just my opinion chap, no need to get panties in a twist :yes:

It all comes down to "tools for the job", my feo won't grant slugs for anything that walks, crawls or slithers.

Other than humane dispatch i don't see the need for them, like i said, just my opinion.

Panties are quite straight at the mo :)

I agree, the only thing I'd use a slug for in Britain is wild boar.. nothing else.

I misunderstood your comment, I took it to mean the use of slugs as a whole, was waltish. :rolleyes:

I have 12 bore slugs on my fac for shooting deer with my semi auto and also for wild boar and i have used them on both of these.

Brennekes will shoot a 3" group at 50 Mtrs in my benelli with 1/4 choke (5 shots) which is not to shabby for a shotgun . The trick with slugs is find out were there point of aim is in you gun as some times the can shoot over 8" high or more depending on your gun ,gunfit and also sight type mater as well and also chamber length as some 3 1/2 " guns do not shoot 2 3/4" slugs very well at all.

I use S & B 1oz slugs for most of my slug shooting and they cost about £12 per 25 so cheeper than a lot of rifle ammo now!!

Bob.