.22WMR vs .22lr?

SSS

I have been thinking recently about swapping my .22lr for a .22 magnum, but want to know if it is worth it.

The problem I have is, I can't hit **** with my lr, and I want something with more oomph.

Can anyone enlighten me about the WMR?

I want to know the rough difference between price of ammo, I paid £30 for 500 rounds (.22lr), the difference in range, difference in power and anything other particulars.

I did think about trading it for a .22 hornet, but that's another story and I may even change my mind and do that yet.

Many thanks,

Sam

Edited by SSS

Should have mentioned, I am not considering an HMR because I dont like them, I know there is a lot of big time fans, but its not for me I'm afraid.

Dont want to strike an arguement on that, so lets keep it on subject, thankyou :yp:

I run the .22lr, .17HMR and .22WMR and have a use for them all.

The .22lr with 40g subs is close to 100ft lb.

The .22WMR with 40g HV is around 320Ft lb.

The HMR is around 245ft lb with 17g.

The WMR is much better on the accuracy, range and trajectory side than a .22lr and some of the 30g (ish) Ballistic tips are awsome.

WMR ammo is more expensive than .22lr but a little cheaper than .17HMR.

The .22WMR is noisy, as is the HMR.

The .17HMR is more accurate and flatter, (just), compared to some of the 30g WMR, but the .22 WMR is .22. It has more grunt than the HMR, makes a bigger hole and commonly delivers more energy into the quarry!

The .22WMR has a place in my Cabinet for the forseable future and is another whole world of power and accuracy compared to .22lr, but it is more expensive and noisier, but then so is a Hornet, a .223, a .243, a .308, etc etc!!

Depends what you need or expect, whilst I use it for rabbits (I used the .223 for rabbits tonight) I would not suggest the WMR is a first choice rabbit gun!!

:yp:

ok whats your problem with the LR, both the WMR and hornet will be noisier and more expensive to run. As a bunny gun if you won't use an HMR then keep the LR and get something completely different for longer range shooting

Alex, its not that I have a problem with the lr, its more a problem with me. I can go and zero, and shoot targets and get bull after bull, but when it comes to actually 'shooting' I can't hit a barn door from 5 paces, and I don't know why.

I had 4 shots at a rabbit the other night, it was about 45 yards away. First shot, was directly at its head, missed, next I held over, missed, then held under and another miss. So I went for a shot on the vitals and you guessed it, I missed! I have just lost all confidence in the caliber.

Its hard to explain to be honest.

I am definitely getting rid of it, because I won't use it again after that performance, and I need another gun for rabbits, the .222 is too much and turns them into a bag of water, even when headshot. :yp:

Sam, not wanting to sound disrespectful but if you cant hit things with the LR what makes you think you will with a WMR :yp:

the problem as you have stated is not with the gun it is you, therefore it is a problem that can be sorted with more practice.

The great advantage the 22LR has over all the other calibres is that it is virtually silent, you are not going to allert every man and his dog in the area that you are shooting,including the rabbits !!! you had an issue the other night with a visit from the local plod. If you shoot near houses i would expect more visits if using a WMR.

dougy

Hi, what Dekers said. You/22lr obviously have a bit of a problem somewhere which may just transfer itself to whatever you go for. I bet my bottom dollar if you asked for help (two heads......) from an experienced 22lr member close to you to come and see what may be going on you'll be pleasantly surprised at the response. Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Alex, its not that I have a problem with the lr, its more a problem with me. I can go and zero, and shoot targets and get bull after bull, but when it comes to actually 'shooting' I can't hit a barn door from 5 paces, and I don't know why.

I had 4 shots at a rabbit the other night, it was about 45 yards away. First shot, was directly at its head, missed, next I held over, missed, then held under and another miss. So I went for a shot on the vitals and you guessed it, I missed! I have just lost all confidence in the caliber.

Its hard to explain to be honest.

I am definitely getting rid of it, because I won't use it again after that performance, and I need another gun for rabbits, the .222 is too much and turns them into a bag of water, even when headshot. :blink:

if you can hit bull after bull on paper targets its definitely not the gun, its you, and by buying another rifle itll only make the situation worse :/ id say the biggest problems youre facing with the 22lr might be judging distance correctly, followed closely by shooting in different positions (zeroing prone but shooting standing up, etc). its simple enough to sort out (buy a laser range finder, set out a few targets at different ranges, etc) so dont give up. one other thought, is it possible your scope is off? :hmm:

Sam mate, from what you have said it sounds more like the problem is definitely with you rather than your .22LR. If you can hit exactly where you want on paper but can not hit any live quarry with the same gun set up exactly the same you should be addressing this issue rather than trying to change for a different calibre of rifle. After all, who is to say that you will not experience the same problem with the "new" calibre rifle too?

Please do not take this the wrong way mate, I am trying to be heplful and constructive rather than "finding fault" (You should know that it is not like me to do that to anyone). Before going out and buying yet another rifle why not get someone with plenty of experience to see what you are doing differently (Or wrongly) when you are out after live quarry compared to when you are shooting paper It might be something simple like the way you hold your rifle, you might be "tensing up," it could be your breathing is different. It could be any one or a combination of a multitude of things that can be cured quite easily once you are aware of them.

Try this first mate, it might save you a lot of money mate?

Hope this helps you out! :blink:

yup as said you're either mis judging distance or just plain getting excited and missing and a new gun won't help the latter. The former then an HMR would sort it out but you don't like them for whatever reasn, I don't like the LR mostly because of the bounce and partly because it is so loopy but in your case all I can think is perhaps a range finder will help

Have you thought about the mach 2 ? i chopped in both .22lr and hmr for mine and been the best move i made , awsome little round , accurate as hell can shoot out around 150 yards no problem and ammo is £50 for 500 eley , more power that the .22lr and a little less than the hmr got to be the best bunny basher out there.

Cheers guys, I zeroed it about 2 hours before I went out and checked the sights the next day, and they were fine.

I have shot targets with it recently from 10 yards out to 70, and I thought I knew the trajectory. I will give it another try before I get rid.

Thanks again :blink:

I had a similar problem with my LR on 30-40yard rabbits. It really did my head in that I could hit them from 60-120 (on a couple of occasions) but would struggle with that 35 ish ones, good old Chairgun suggests that the optimum zero for LR is 55yards, I used to do mine at 60 so wasn't expecting much change from moving to a 55 yard zero. OK the graph looked impressive but I was sceptical this would translate into real life.

I wouldn't say the graph was bang on accurate but having tried it I'm convinced it helps, it did mean a lot less holding under on those 30-40 yard shots and often meant I could "aim at" and still be in the bottom of the killzone.