Belgian FITASC Sporting Champs...........

Catamong

I'd been looking forward to this one for ages after shooting the European Championships there last year, it's a lovely ground less than 2 hours easy drive from Calais, closest big town is Amiens, on the river Somme.

We took the tunnel across on Friday morning, (gave up on the ferries years ago, takes far too long), had a round of golf at a lovely parkland course near Amiens, it was in superb condition, unlike most of the courses back home, which are now sunburt to a cinder..!!

When in that area, I always take the time to pay my respects at some of the 300 odd Commonwealth War Graves cemeteries that are dotted around the area.

Here's a pic of the Connaught Cemetery, near Thiepval, most of the guys in here were brave Irish lads who were killed on the first day of the battle of the Somme, on 1st July 1916. They were part of a casualty list totalling 60,000 on the first day, of which 20,000 were fatalaties, absolutely appalling.

4.jpg

After a lovely meal and a few bevvies in Town on the Friday night, we got to the ground early on the Saturday, but I wasn't due out until 10.25, so I got chatting to some of the other competitors. Here's the clubhouse:

14.jpg

And here's a couple of the (very small) English contingent who made the trip, Wally and Trev from 'Oop North.

DSCF1293.jpg

Wally will be well known to most Northern Sporting shooters, he's been on umpteen CPSA comittees over the years, and like a lot of Northerners, is a pretty blunt speaker, you know where you stand with the guy, he doesn't mince his words. :lol:

Here's a couple of other competitors, Henry, (the Lone Canadian), and Dominic from Belgium, both FITASC Sporting addicts who travel the World to shoot good targets.

DSCF1292.jpg

They're both smiling 'cos I bought the beers..!! :lol:

The format of the shoot was 200 birds, shot over 8 x 25 bird layouts, International FITASC rules, i.e. gun must be out of the shoulder until the target is visible. You get 4 or 5 single birds per peg, followed by a pair, either on report or simmo, with full use of gun on the singles, (thank goodness :blush: ). There are 4 pegs per 25 bird layout and you shoot 100 birds each day.

Some persistent rain set not long after we'd started, here's Wally tackling a tricky going away bird.

41.jpg

You may be wondering why the Belgian Champs were being held in France, that's because the Belgian Government, in their infinite wisdom, are clamping down on lead shot on many grounds, and people are being forced to shoot steel, which they don't like, so they've moved the shoot across the border to France.

Everything stopped for a very leisurely lunch, an "all you can eat" buffet of local delicacies, not quite to my liking, but it was impolite to refuse.

89.jpg

We got going again to shoot the 3rd layout at 2.30, the rain had eased a bit by now, here's Marco from Belgium tackling a long crosser:

29.jpg

At the end of the first day, everybody agreed it had been a fantastic event so far, I'd managed a 23, 21, 20, 22, total 86, 5 birds behind the leader from Belgium on 91.

Yet more fine dining in Amiens on the Saturday night, we watched the footie in a local bar then saw the Cathedral light show at 11.00pm, absolutely stunning, but I forgot the camera. :good:

Sunday dawned fine and sunny, we soon got stuck in to the first layout, with some tricky targets literally right on the end of the barrel, here's Marco pondering the horrible "going away" rabbit peg.

95.jpg

And here's Wally attacking the right to left low screamer that buried itself in the bank if you weren't quick enough:

155.jpg

This longer rabbit caused a few headaches, here's Marc from Belgium having a go:

159.jpg

And here's the Catmeister tackling one off the Tower:

183.jpg

Here's Marc again on one of the Tower layouts, there were some superb targets thrown here:

187.jpg

It got really hot by mid afternoon, I couldn't stay for the prize giving as I'd a train to catch, my second day scores were 21, 24, 23, 19, total 87, ( I had a doomer on the last layout, missed the first bird out with both barrels, missed a complete pair, then another couple of singles and the very last bird of the competition, a relatively "easy" going away standard orange, I snapped at it and went straight over the top..!!) :yes:

The guy that was leading on the first day won the competition on a 179, I did a 173 and came 6th overall, not too unhappy with that, but I'm already looking forward to shooting again there next year in mid July at the World Championships, which, I'm told, the ground will be hosting. :lol:

Cat.

cracking piece as per the norm cat ;):good: pity about the odd ones that get away eh ???:lol: did you know trevor used to do gymnastics for great britain :lol::blush: doubt if wally did though :good::good:

Yes, I can honestly say I didn't miss a single "long" target, all of my dropped birds were very close zippy ones or close bouncy rabbits.

I heard all about Trevs gymnastic exploits in the GB team, that's the thing about FITASC, you get to know others in the squad very well, 'cos you've got time to talk in between layouts.

Cat.

Cat - well done on the shooting side.

I will say it again - you put together a very good article and the photos to go with it. The piece is a real cut above the ordinary journalism that haunts the shooting magazines. Have you never fancied doing the odd article for one of the rags?

Cat - well done on the shooting side.

I will say it again - you put together a very good article and the photos to go with it. The piece is a real cut above the ordinary journalism that haunts the shooting magazines. Have you never fancied doing the odd article for one of the rags?

Gordon,

Thanks for that, yes I used to write the odd article for Pull Mag back in the mid 90's, I was trying to be a bit provocative by having a little poke at grounds that were giving shooters a raw deal, unfortunately they were heavily "edited" to the point where the whole article was dead boring, so I gave up after a while. ???

My next "biggy" abroad is likely to be the World Compak Sporting Champs in Malaga, Spain, at the end of August, that'll be another goodun, it's a 4 day event, with a lot more time for "entertainment" and may be a tad on the warm side..!! ;)

Watch this space. :good:

Cat.

Cat - shame about "Pull". If you were contributing to a magazine, I would be more inclined to buy. Too many boring articles in the current crop !!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Well, perhaps I've missed my true vocation in life, I always try and make shoot reports a bit more interesting than a simple dialogue on who shot what, I try and get some "off the wall" photos, that'll make people laugh, this sort of thing........................

DSCF1197-1.jpg

Or perhaps this one, when the loos are not up to standard................................ :lol:

DSCF0711.jpg

It's all about having the Digicam in your pocket and ready to go at a moments notice..!! :lol:

Cat.