Why shouldn’t we have the right to pack heat?

peugeot

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure we need to. our police force is one ofthe few that has neve been armed as a matter of course and personally i want it to stay that way.

The article points out that if guns were not available, people would find something else to use.

The criminal fraternity seem to hae access to any number of shoguns or firearms so lets focus on clamping down on those!.

I think by asking a question like

"why shouldn't we be allowed to PACK HEAT?"

answers your own question very well, anyone who refers to carrying a gun as packing heat really needs to take a long hard look at themselves and take up knitting.

Are you one of the 80%?

Having lived and worked in a country where it is normal to carry firearms, but they had to be concealed, its not all its made up to be ;) The majority (99.9%) of UK citizens/general public are not mentally capable of carrying firearms for self defence let alone using for that purpose, its a different world, lets keep the UK the way it is, its not perfect but its a million % better than so many other countries.

Unfortunately there will always be tragedy with firearms as we have witnessed both recently and the past, but lets leave it to those trained to respond rather than the vigilante approach.

Alan

answers your own question very well, anyone who refers to carrying a gun as packing heat really needs to take a long hard look at themselves and take up knitting.

Are you one of the 80%?

The OP copied the thread title from the article. It is a stupid title, but we should be used to the media useing such attention grabing headlines.

For such a sensational title, it turns out to be a fairly well balanced article. If more journalists wrote with this approach fire arm ownership would be more acceptable to Joe public.

Unfortunately we only get stories like Raoul Moat with his sniper type rifle.

Peugeot is a new member so lets not be too harsh.

Why shouldn't we have the right to pack heat?

Well, in my view, it's all about control, and training.

Many of us still have impulsive instincts.

If that drunken gobby idiot outside the club started to give you mouth, what would you do if you were "packing heat"?

You would very likely take a life, which was not yours to take, and spend the rest of your life behind bars, being taken from behind by the most endowed guy you have ever met, every day.

To carry a gun in public, in this fabulous country we live in, you need to be trained, a bit like the Police, who have been trained, to a very high standard and to a point where in a split second, they can determine whether or not, they should pull that trigger.

Training kicks in, not impulse. This would not be the case if everyone was "packing heat". There would probably be someone shot down your road every day.

You will notice on this, or any other shooting site, which is a public site, why even my local school trawl the pages, so children too, that ticket holders who post on here do not take kindly to any blaze e talk where guns are involved.

Though it may sound contradictory, shooters have a huge respect for life, and do more to conserve it, and to maintain a balance than any other group of enthusiasts.

You will learn this as your time with Pigeon Watch passes.

So fill in your personal profile, so we can get to know you, and join in, in the best shooting site on the planet.

Jim,

Have you seen how many the armed police shoot in error including thier own? Highly trained personally i think not. I respect thier lives are on the line at times but feel the training is inadequate to deal with the situations they do. Did you hear the one about the cow recently?

Having lived and worked in a country where it is normal to carry firearms, but they had to be concealed, its not all its made up to be :hmm: The majority (99.9%) of UK citizens/general public are not mentally capable of carrying firearms for self defence let alone using for that purpose, its a different world, lets keep the UK the way it is, its not perfect but its a million % better than so many other countries.

Unfortunately there will always be tragedy with firearms as we have witnessed both recently and the past, but lets leave it to those trained to respond rather than the vigilante approach.

Alan

as above

;)

too many idiots spoil a nation

I personally have no problems with the police being armed both on and off duty too as that will double the amount of police on the streets. I also have no problems if ordinary citizens carry, our laws should be altered so peolple can use them for self defence ,without fear of prosecution (in ure own home at least) ........no I aint gone mad,yes its great that our cops are unarmed. But I think we all know they will be soon,some harry roberts will strike again and they will be armed overnight.

With a lot of working couples not being able to afford kids,and lots of giro munters,somalians,eastern europeans,and dead beats havin kids on the welfare state,what is our society going to be like in 10-15 years time??? With the threats of islamic extremists in our towns and citys being all to real with bomb factory's being found all the time,just how long till the police will be armed? We will see. (I think the yank term packing heat a bit much, dramatises it a bit!)

Edited by the running man

Dunkield - on the money in my book. Join a forum, post something sensational and sit back to watch the fallout. ;):hmm:

I'm not so sure - joined 8 months ago, made a few posts looking for 687 stock/forend and then this.

misguided perhaps, but he's online now and might make a response!

Personally, regardless of the reference to 'packing heat', I thought it was a reasonable article. Which I disagree with.

There is something about concealed weapons which I am uncomfortable about. I agree with the comments about whether the average member of the public is mentally agile enough to make the correct call in a pressure situation. I also don't like the idea of ******* off someone in a pub (I generally don't, but drunks can be quite peculiar) and having them pull a gun on me. Organized criminals already use illegal handguns, I very much doubt that they'd buy them legally. Small time crooks and muggers might, however, for a little extra leverage over victims. I will cede that these would likely just replace their current weapons of choice (flick-knives and the like). I fancy my chances outrunning a crook more than I'd fancy the opportunity to outrun a bullet.

So, in summary - no concealed carry for the UK please. Even if handguns were fully legalised again (which I can't see).

Then there's the other use of a sidearm: target shooting. I am lucky enough to be in a position where I can still use semi-automatic handguns legally. However, I find target shooting quite boring. But that's me, I understand that there are people out there who used to enjoy doing it, and would like to again. In this respect I believe that there should be a relaxation of the laws surrounding handguns. Whether it's our Olympic team or someone else, there should be facilities in place to allow their use in a controlled environment. Perhaps there could be provision for clubs to purchase handguns which would have to be securely stored, and require two members to access. Just a thought.

Are you one of the 80%?

or airsoft if the knitting doesnt hit the spot! ;)