ditch seat

Guest olly speakman

Guest olly speakman

I went out shooting today with my good freind tim and we started off cutting our hide into the hedge, the field we were shooting on was relatively active compared to the usual amount of pigeon activity we are used to. However my shooting was auwful coupled with my dodgy seat wobbling around on the uneven surface! Eventually i had had enough of missing and we moved into a ditch. As you could imagine it is almost impossible to sit comfortably in a ditch as no seat can stay stable, however my freind tim or the essex hunter on this website has designed a seat that sits stable and comfortably in a ditch, my shooting improoved dramatically and we then picked up 20 from our move. The seat allowed me to move quickly into a good shooting position, and i recomend the seat to any people that do often shoot from ditches!

teh

A lot of fishing chairs can work like the ditch chair. Just leave the rear legs folded up.

Now theres a plan- I have lots of shoots where a ditch type seat would be useful- the wind here in Taunton is predominatly from the Sth West and I prefer to shoot with the wind coming from behind the hide and most of the fields I shoot over are surrounded by ditches, and therefore get wet or dont shoot lol

Les :good:

Guest olly speakman
I like the look of the tree seat- how much are they??

Les :blush:

They are about 58 pounds i think, if you want one contact tim on his website, the essex hunter! his details are at the end of the of his web page!

Guest olly speakman
what do you to if theres no trees? :blush:

Usually before i go pigeon shooting i do a fair amount of reconnaissance, this means that i pick out the tree or ditch i will sit in before i go out shooting! The seats also can be mounted into a smaller shape, it takes barely any space in the car boot, or the lorry cargo hold which i was told i neaded earlier on!

I spend a lot of time shooting from the sides of ditches and find a shooting stick and a trenching spade are the best tools for the job.

The main problem with the "ditch seat", seems to be that you are facing away from where you want to be shooting.

If the ditch is round the field (like they are) you want to be facing from the ditch into the field, which means the water is at your back.

If you are sitting on the opposite bank to the field you are shooting, this gives you all sorts of logistical problems, not least that you might not have permission to be on that bank.

I spend a lot of time shooting from the sides of ditches and find a shooting stick and a trenching spade are the best tools for the job.

The main problem with the "ditch seat", seems to be that you are facing away from where you want to be shooting.

If the ditch is round the field (like they are) you want to be facing from the ditch into the field, which means the water is at your back.

If you are sitting on the opposite bank to the field you are shooting, this gives you all sorts of logistical problems, not least that you might not have permission to be on that bank.

Hi Cranfield,

I see in you last post you made some comments on the ditch seat posted by Olly,

When shooting magazines pass their findings on to their readers of field tests, this actually means they take them out and use them.

I am sure you would have read some of the long term tests that gamekeepers and alike write about what they have used.

Also i was quite surprised as to your detailed guesswork on how a ditch seat would be best used.

I would be very interested as to the ratio of members who given the choice in sitting down comfortably or standing, and lets be honest, you cannot sit still all day on a shooting stick they are designed for short-term use.

Like your shooting stick ,buckets, tin cans, camping stool, the ditch seat can be used on both sides of the ditch so elevating logistical problems of permission. Peter Theobald has one in the back of his wagon and uses it when he shoots out of a ditch, so drop him a line and get some feed back from an expert.

Every body is intituled to their opinion and I am sure there will be quite a few replies for and against, as a site moderator, you have much more power on the site, as that is part of your role, with power come reasonability and as the saying goes “don’t judge a book by its cover”

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

Is it not just a chair with no back legs or am I missing something? Buy a cheap chair and take the back legs off, job done. Why does it cost so much for a chair with the back legs missing? There's no way that chair costs £58. You could make that for a tenner easy.

I responded on this thread as a member and a pigeon shooter (not a Moderator), who actually lives on a Marsh surrounded by ditches.

Like lots of shooters I don't buy shooting magazines and I have not read any field tests on this product.

My comments were based on what I saw on your website.

The pictures and configuration on your website clearly show the Ditch Seat facing the water and with long front legs and short or no back legs, its impossible to see from the photograph how it could face any other way.

If there is a way it can be used halfway up the side of the ditch, nearest to the field you are shooting, it would be good to show that configuration on your website.

That is of course up to you, its your product and I commend your initiative in producing it and good luck with the sales. :blush:

They are about 58 pounds i think, if you want one contact tim on his website, the essex hunter! his details are at the end of the of his web page!

No I dont think I'll bother at £58 a throw- maybe stick to my swivel bucket- but, thank you for your response

Les :blush:

Is it not just a chair with no back legs or am I missing something? Buy a cheap chair and take the back legs off, job done. Why does it cost so much for a chair with the back legs missing? There's no way that chair costs £58. You could make that for a tenner easy.

Like i said dont judge a book buy its cover, ask Jason from Trulock and Harris - Suffolk Gunsmiths on how well the tree seat is made, if you can make it for a tenner be my guest.

It is made from new steel, rolled tube on a 3 point roller, cut lengths welded on a jig, powed coated, 15oz rip stop seat material............etc

Any body can pick holes in any new product, it is about having a go which has keep this country from speaking a different language for a very long time.

Supporting the import bussness from the far east is a great way to get this country back off the floor, good on you.

Low impact on the ground you dont have to take a spade to dig out the ditch as quoted in a previous post!!!!

And then repair the ditch.............................

This will spirial in to site supporters passing comments such as you self which is fine by me,

It happened last time on my floater post when two people made comments that i was "a tight bum" and should go and buy from a shop and cranfield removed the comments.

Regards TEH

I responded on this thread as a member and a pigeon shooter (not a Moderator), who actually lives on a Marsh surrounded by ditches.

Like lots of shooters I don't buy shooting magazines and I have not read any field tests on this product.

My comments were based on what I saw on your website.

The pictures and configuration on your website clearly show the Ditch Seat facing the water and with long front legs and short or no back legs, its impossible to see from the photograph how it could face any other way.

If there is a way it can be used halfway up the side of the ditch, nearest to the field you are shooting, it would be good to show that configuration on your website.

That is of course up to you, its your product and I commend your initiative in producing it and good luck with the sales. :blink:

Thank you very much, and all your comments have been noted http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab130/T...exHunter/seats/

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

Cranfield I think the issue comes with how big your ditches are, round here it would work but our ditches are pretty small. Sadly for my part on the dragons den I can't see a business here certainly not at that price and with you needing the right kind of ditch etc, however if you could make it work in a normal hide as well you may be onto something. Otherwise i'll leave it up to Pavman to suggest how it could be improved with a few bits of angle Iron added.

p.s quite a nice bit of blatant advertising this post :blink:

Like i said dont judge a book buy its cover, ask Jason from Trulock and Harris - Suffolk Gunsmiths on how well the tree seat is made, if you can make it for a tenner be my guest.

It is made from new steel, rolled tube on a 3 point roller, cut lengths welded on a jig, powed coated, 15oz rip stop seat material............etc

Any body can pick holes in any new product, it is about having a go which has keep this country from speaking a different language for a very long time.

Supporting the import bussness from the far east is a great way to get this country back off the floor, good on you.

Low impact on the ground you dont have to take a spade to dig out the ditch as quoted in a previous post!!!!

This will spirial in to site supporters passing comments such as you self which is fine by me,

It happened last time on my floater post when two people made comments that i was "a tight bum" and should go and buy from a shop and cranfield removed the comments.

Regards TEH

C'mon, be fair. We use 12oz and 15oz ripstop a lot and we wouldn't touch making just the seat cloths, in a brand name cloth, for less than £6 or £7 each even in multiples of a dozen or so. :blink:

Regards TEH

Your advertising your product on an open forum so people are entitled to their opinion whether you like it or not. At the end of the day it's a seat for setting your **** on in a ditch not a throne for royalty. Do you honestly think your average shooter can afford to pay £58 for a seat? Can you honestly say it's good value for money?

Sorry but I'm out.........

639AC22D-9D02-7058-88636FAF450B11EC.jpg

The thing i ask myself is would i pay the price of £58 and the answer to that is no.If it was £58 for the two seats the tree seat and the ditch seat.The i would be thinking is it worth me messing about making my own when i can buy them.I am not knocking your product i think they are both good but pricey for what they are.I just cannot see them selling in the thousands unless the price is lower. :blink:

I'm going to throw in my twopennyworth here because in my mind there's only one all round useful hide seat and that's the one offered by the site sponsors UK Shootwarehouse (they are still sponsoring the site I trust as all I see is the BASC logo banner?). It costs £35 and I can honestly say I've yet to break one. They are usable in any situation and adjustable to pretty much any height you'd want.

I do not like shooting sitting down and the constant standing from most low bucket/fishing type seats really gets to me. If you want to be in a shooting stance position ready to tackle the birds as they come in then the UK Shootwarehouse is the seat for you.

BTW I am in no way connected to the aforementioned company but credit where it's due, they do sell probably the best seat in the world! :good:

Oh and to the original poster of this 'advert'...if you can't stand the heat DON'T advertise on here! :blink: