Best Hunting Knife for £100

JONO

Dear all,

Having ****** about with Garlands and then Winchester I'm looking to invest some money in as good a hunting knife as I can afford (£100 max).

Key features would include

full width tang

wooden or leather wrapped handle

leather sheath

4-4.5 inch drop-point blade in as good a steel as poss (Solingen perhaps).

Reliability, durability and build quality

For a mental picture something akin to that which Mr Mears uses....any suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

if you like hi knife so much wy not buy one of those as he sells them commercially

if you cant find them look in the back of the gun mart magazine as there is loads in there

all the best flash

actually dont even try to find them as they are £225

sorry :D:)

Edited by flash

Don't bother with Ray Mears knives any more they did have a wilkinson sword 'budget' model which was £95 but since then wilkinson have closed their factory and those same knives now fetch over £250 on ebay (the handmade versions have gone for over £350 :D )

If you do want a custom knife I can recomend Gene Ingram. He is based in the US and there will be a bit of a waiting list but for under £100 (with the exchange rate) you will get a knife with the specs you describe and it arrives absolutely razor sharp. I've had mine 2 years now and it still makes me smile everytime I take it out of the sheath.

What do you want it to do?

If its for Gralloching, have you considered the new Hygiene requirements?

They would require that the knife could be sterilised if it was used on food that was entering the public food chain.

That might mean an enclosed tang and a plastic handle.

Key importance for me would be how readily the steel takes and holds an edge and what job its going to do. I reckon to put an edge on before each job and see that most butchers do that as well.

I have two for game, one with a gut hook and one with a wide curved blade for skinning.

I have another four for jointing or filleting meat plus a cleaver and a pair of croppers.

I like the handles to be contoured and very non-slip so that, if my hand's covered in blood, I'm still in control.

I'm not convinced that its possible to have one knife that's brilliant at all jobs. :D

As you say Nildes, most stalkers have a 'best' knife to do the gralloch but then have normal cutlery in the 10 quid price bracket to do the rest.

My best knife is a Gerber with an ATS34 blade, which holds it edge quite well but is not very easy to sharpen. I never went with the fancy sharpening tools but use one of the ceramic coarse/fine hand held jobbies, I just make sure I sharpen it little and often.

I got a proper steel for the kitchen knives recently and that does a very good job, even though the edge is pretty rough (which can be an advantage at times)

http://www.raymears.com/

http://www.heinnie.com/

The top one is Ray mears site, but as people have said very expensive,

the other site is very good.

I have spent a lot money on Knives, will post a pic of them all, but i must say i use a £50 one for stalking and a fairly cheap folding lock knife for rabbits and another cheap one for other uses.

Now who would like to lose a £100 in the woods :lol:

How many have left their knife in the field where i shot that lovely buck and gralloched it, now where exactly was i in that field :*)

Try Attleborough accessories they have "Frosts" blades ie.DIY 4.5" full tang sandvik s/s finished,hardened,tempered................ £20

Give it a look as they also sell the furniture etc.etc. and you can join the Countryside Craft and DIY section :lol:

Edited by henry d

• 16 years later...
On 04/01/2006 at 21:06, henry d said:

Try Attleborough accessories they have "Frosts" blades ie.DIY 4.5" full tang sandvik s/s finished,hardened,tempered................ £20

Give it a look as they also sell the furniture etc.etc. and you can join the Countryside Craft and DIY section

The website attacc.com doesn't work, have I got it correct? Cheers