Annoying sayings

Markio

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like to hear people saying "et cetera" (or "exetra" as they insist on saying) ???

It is over-used these days. In my opinion it should only be used in written English, not spoken. It saves you writing long lists but it's not necessary to say it.

When people do insist on saying it these days, they usually get it wrong anyway, because they're stupid. They tend to add it unnecessarily to an already complete list, such as "My gun shop had lots of shotguns on display, semi-autos, pumps, over/unders etc"

**** off ???

maybe the etc = side by sides and single barrels, Innit!

all i hear in the local town is the kid with the hat (peek pointing straight up to the sky) shouting "oright chief''

''buzzing innit''

''wOs Dat LIKE"

My old boss always used to say 'If we can capture the commission' when he was talking about winning a contract. Drove me nuts.

On here its calling foxes 'Charlie' ??? You may be dressed in camo and carrying a gun but you are not in Vietnam!

Edited by 955i

Colleague on Phone "I'm at work innit!" When he finished the conversation I informed him that he should have said " I'm at work aren't I" his response "its just speak innit".

Whenever I'm on the phone to a call centre in Scotland, every sentence seems to end with 'just now'.

The other one already mentioned is 'like' and 'lush' usually from teenager 'its like so lush'. Are they talking about the condition of their pasture? ******* lush.

My g/f has the most irratating.....

"We have communication issues"

Which actually means:

I told her that I was going shooting/fishing/drinking on a particular day/evening and I remind her the day before.

And she:

a) forgot

:good: didn't listen in the first place

c)Promised that I would go round one her friends house and fix/lift/remove something later.

But WE have communication issues!!! GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!

rant over

Nige

The title often seen for a topic in Sporting Pictures - "Good day on the rape".

Always makes me cringe and chuckle at the same time :yes:

Try having a conversation on the phone while sat in a 6th form common room which went something along the lines of:

'Yeh mate, there's lots of birds about absolutely gagging for the rape at the moment, probably going to be firing a lot of shots, I've got a semi so I'll bring that.' Yeah I tend to shoot quite a heavy load as they are tough old birds at times. Ok then mate, catch you later, byeeeee.'

Stunned silence. :good:

FM :good:

The environment I work in is practically a soup of such rubbish, and not a thin soup like french onion, but a veritable broth.

I should add that all the below are used as management terms, and never on a firing range.

"downrange"

"look up, heads up"

"flash to bang"

"watch and shoot"

"run it up the flagpole to see who salutes"

"blue sky thinking"

"blue eyed thinking" (someone really said this, much to the amusement of the assembled masses)

"wide eyed thinking"

"the truth no longer matters"

"buy in"

"the buy in of senior analysts must be ensured so that they adopt the role of floor walking change champions and mentors" ( from a management circular produced in 2005).

There are so many more, but my will to live is finite.

This thread has provided some light relief!

The one that gets me every time are double negatives.

Me: "That will be £25, please"

Client:"I aint got no money"

Me: "great, that will be £25, please"

Cleint: "are you fick (assume he meant thick, but was definitely an 'f') or summat? I said I aint got no money.

I walked off at this point leaving it to the receptionist.

I saw this sentence on some divvy website about developing the North of England :good:

"To develop the North, a holistic, synergistic approach is needed to facilitate rapid development."

I don't accept "holistic" or "synergistic" as words in my language, so what does this **** actually mean? Where do these arsewipes get off on making up silly words?

Load of old cock. I walked out of a management meeting years ago, when I was a travel agent, because everybody was using buzzwords and corporate BS. I told them to send me a memo when they'd finished talking ****, on the offchance that there might be something worth knowing :yes::good::yes:

Edited by Chard