Duck Flight

TJ91

I have been given permission to have a go at some ducks on a flooded stubble, its a 1 flight deal and i am hopefully going next saturday evening.

(it floods every year and there are always 100s on it but i have only just managed to get permission by offering to do a days graft on the farm)

i went down this evening and lost count of the ducks that came to feed, it is a 70 acre field and over half is covered in water (but it is very shallow in most places)

there must of been well over 200 mallard on it and they just kept coming, mainly in groups of 5-10.

I am planning on getting under the main flightline in the long grass and sticking a few decoys out on the water.

there is no bag limit but i only get the 1 flight

question is when would you stop shooting, how many would you put in the bag before calling it a day??

Bearing in mind this is the 1 and ONLY flight i will get and there are 100s of mallard coming to it..

forgot to mention...alot of these duck are most likely 1s that live on the nearby estate lake (there is always 1000s on there and nobody shoots them)

Edited by TJ91

That`s something else you forgot to tell us about then. I`d tell him to stick it and shoot his own, BTW - good job you didn`t sell your deeks eh ?

common courtesy to offer the landowner some of whats shot, its the way i do things to keep them happy

why would i turn down a good opportunity to have a go even if he ASKED for half what i shoot... would rather give away half what i shoot than pay ridiculous amounts to go shoot at a couple of tame ducks that dont know how to fly!

and the deeks dont matter too much...i could easily do without them..but may aswell use em seena s they are ther

Edited by TJ91

its a one off deal fill your boots lad aslong as they all end up on the dinner table .3brace?? you can shoot that on the foreshore

I would decide i had enough when it was to dark to see anymore, and give him the owner a freezer full, good way to get another invite next year..

Edited by manxman2

21 ish years foreshore wildfowling and my best bag is nine, 8 teal and a wigeon, anything above half a dozen is a real red letter day on the foreshore I would fill my boots, as I know where I shoot the opportunity does not come along even once in ten years, very hypothetical but I think 20 would be enough on a boot filling day. If I could shoot 20 three or four times a season I would probably stop at 10, if you know what I mean.

Inland, on floodings, well as a one off three or four couple. The main thing is not to appear greedy, very quick way not to be asked again.

Another tip, don't count your chickens, alot of ducks should mean the potential for a good bag, but its only the potential, you may struggle to get a couple if they all decide to feed at the far end of the field.

Edited by scolopax

i thought there may be a few people who would say fill yer boots and the rest...nice to see some peolpe show some respect and hold back from shooting everything

i dont intend on blasting away at everything, i respect the quarry and have always been taught to make myself a bag limit and stick to it..when shooting game or wildfowl

hopefully the rain will keep coming down so the field doesnt dry up

i will have a word with the farmer and see what he says on bag limits..meeting him tomorrow to sort some rats in the yard so will be a good oppurtunity to ask

Another tip, don't count your chickens, alot of ducks should mean the potential for a good bag, but its only the potential, you may struggle to get a couple if they all decide to feed at the far end of the field.

i dont, never will

i have learnt that from previous outings

If there was as many duck as you say then i would make the most of it and shoot up to around 15 -20. As has already been said, most don't get the chance to shoot that many, so why not. If they are all destined for the table , it isn't going to hurt is it? Refrain from shooting easy birds, though, as i think that is a bit pointless. I would rather shoot 6 quality sporting birds than 30 easy ones, any day.

If there was as many duck as you say then i would make the most of it and shoot up to around 15 -20. As has already been said, most don't get the chance to shoot that many, so why not. If they are all destined for the table , it isn't going to hurt is it? Refrain from shooting easy birds, though, as i think that is a bit pointless. I would rather shoot 6 quality sporting birds than 30 easy ones, any day.

i agree with you on that definatly :yes:

bag limits are one thing shooting more than a couple is quite another, you may find you struggle as they may not play ball. If there are that many and inland and all mallards odds are they are off some shoots release lake if so personally I would be less worried than if they are true wild stock. Mallards aren't in any danger numbers wise so I would shoot what i can process as by the sounds of it the field won't be flooded forever and you aren't looking at maintaining your shooting all season

Usually on our flight pond my mate and I would shoot a couple each every night we are there; however, we are trying to maintain the sport all season. We also only take sporting birds; this part is very important, as someone has already said 6 sporting birds are better than 30 easy ones. I wouldn't set a limit but pack up before dark when you are happy you have had good sport and enough to put in both freezers.