Tough day at the woodcock 08

woodcock1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are here in good numbers now. I was out Saturday for 2 hours and flushed in the region of 20-30 birds, I shot 5 and then stopped as I don't like to shoot any more than I need. The dogs kept giving me funny looks when they were flushing and I wasn't shooting :lol:

i just have 1 question for those that reckon its okay to hammer woodcock. just how much is enough? i know for a fact that greed is the prime motivation for alot of woodcock shooters and it sickens me. and what if something went terribly wrong with woodcock next year, and the population was threatened, would any of these guys think to themselves you know maybe i shouldnt have bagged 150 in the freezer last year. every time i shoot one im aware of what this hardy bird endured to reach these shores and it as an epic and tough journey, and as a result if i shoot 3 im pleased, but im even more pleased if i flush many more than i shoot.

good season, and in my view not a problem, if you had posted two or three after a days shooting I am sure the couple of keyboard warriors on here wouldnt have any thing to say. I am sure your knowledge and respect far outways theirs

doc

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Enjoy your shooting mate,dont be put off by the minority :good::good: BB

fair bag you got there :good:

Moan Moan Moan Moan Moan Moan Moan.

Spoils a Bl***y good forum, why can't we be pleased for people.

Maybe we should set up a new section for Whinging, and then those of us that like to praise or encourage people don't have to look at the thread and perhaps it would stop all the playground tittle tattle

bakerboy

Terry

simple happy and sitting on the fence tweezers in hand ready for the splinters (but don't make me angry)

Edited by bakerboy

i just have 1 question for those that reckon its okay to hammer woodcock.

Nobody on this thread has said it's OK to hammer woodcock.

I count 67 in the photo, if he's out twice a week for the season that's about _1_ per outing.

and what if something went terribly wrong with woodcock next year, and the population was

threatened, would any of these guys think to themselves you know maybe i shouldnt have bagged

150 in the freezer last year.

If he's seeing 25-30 birds and shooting 1 or two it's not going to have much effect compared to your

mysterious "woodcock blight".

every time i shoot one im aware of what this hardy bird endured to reach these shores and it as an epic and tough journey, and as a result if i shoot 3 im pleased, but im even more pleased if i flush many more than i shoot.

As Woodcock1 explained he does...

"I see anything up to 25 or 30 woodcock and about 500 in a season. On an average day and I shoot 3-4."

What are you wibbling on about?

[Edit] Has he been banned? [/Edit]

Nial

Edited by Nial

i just have 1 question for those that reckon its okay to hammer woodcock. just how much is enough? i know for a fact that greed is the prime motivation for alot of woodcock shooters and it sickens me. and what if something went terribly wrong with woodcock next year, and the population was threatened, would any of these guys think to themselves you know maybe i shouldnt have bagged 150 in the freezer last year. every time i shoot one im aware of what this hardy bird endured to reach these shores and it as an epic and tough journey, and as a result if i shoot 3 im pleased, but im even more pleased if i flush many more than i shoot.

Wwe better stop shooting altogether..you never know, something could go terribly wrong in the world and all the pigeons get a bad disease and 3/4s of the population die out, and all the deer might fall over when we have a big earthquake and break a leg each meaning they all die...

Plenty of other birds come here in numbers and stay over winter after a hard journey..just because there are such big numbers of them doesnt mean something terrible wont happen to them and they die out

How can you possibly look at it like that

Anything could happen!

He has alot there... yes i would say excesive if shot over 1/2 days

but he is taken a couple a day..no problem at all if he isnt shootign every bird he sees

Great pic

Well done and all the best!

Edited by TJ91

The research available on the subject shows that the woodcock population is increasing in the UK, so I see no problem with shooting a sustainable harvest of birds. They are a very sporting bird which also make very good eating :good:

Source ???

Carry on shooting if you all wish thats your perogative.

Personally I like to see them alive if only as a just reward for the gruelling migration journey non resident birds make each year.

I just cant see the point in killing such a wonderful bird in the name of sport.

Thankfully many organised shoots in this country seem to be going the same way and will not have them shot.

Each to his own.

As you were.

Source ???

Personally I like to see them alive if only as a just reward for the gruelling migration journey non resident birds make each year.

I just cant see the point in killing such a wonderful bird in the name of sport.

Thankfully many organised shoots in this country seem to be going the same way and will not have them shot.

Each to his own.

As you were.

i shoot them to eat them as they taste 'wonderful' :good:

i miss 90% of what i shoot at and only pull the trigger after i have flushed a few.

plenty of them about.

i would hate to think people are shooting them just to shoot them claim they shot it then dump it...but i cannot see anybody been that irresponsible

but shooting small numbers is to me as fair as going and shooting 100 woodpigeons where thgeres a 1000 feeding

Edited by TJ91

I think the most intrest thing in regards to thread is that some have fears for the woodcocks numbers and maybe being overshot by the thread starter.

But there lies the problem this is a picture of the 2008 season so surley if shooters like the thread starter was damaging the population.

Then it would be intresting to know his bag for 2009 and also the finnish of 2010/2011.

Just my thoughts regards OTH

Source ???

Each to his own.

As you were.

Mike, I'm mainly a wildfowler if I was to refrain from shooting everything that had gone through a grueling journey to get here I'd have little in the bag. And how grueling is the journry,with a following wind and the full moons I'm sure I read somewhere they can cross the north sea in a matter of a couple of hours.

The comment about the farmers crops being safe is a bit childish,the guy enjoys his woodcock shooting and I'm sure eating them also. Nearly everything I shoot id causing no damage,if you only acceptable reason for shooting something is that its causing damage then fine,but it would seriously restrict what could be shot and destroy a lot of peoples sport and meals if we were all the same.

nice bag of woodock for a season.

On the other hand idiotic posts like 'fisherman mike' et al. have over the last few days really been p#####g me off. Don't shoot migratory birds? So, on that basis we shouldn't therefore shoot.

1. pinkfeet

2. greylag

3. mallard

4. teal

5. wigeon

6. pochard

7. tufty

8. pintail

9. shoveler

10. snipe or jacks (in ireland)

11. golden plover

12. curlew (in N ireland)

Jesus thank god for the pigeons. Oh I forgot alot of our birds here in N Ireland cross the irish sea in hard weather from GB. So that means they are moving south for the winter (bit like the rest of them above that cross the North Sea). I should'nt probably shoot the pigeons either then!!!!!

May as well hand the guns in to the PSNI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never heard such alot of rubbish in my life.

nice bag of woodock for a season.

On the other hand idiotic posts like 'fisherman mike' et al. have over the last few days really been p#####g me off. Don't shoot migratory birds? So, on that basis we shouldn't therefore shoot.

1. pinkfeet

2. greylag

3. mallard

4. teal

5. wigeon

6. pochard

7. tufty

8. pintail

9. shoveler

10. snipe or jacks (in ireland)

11. golden plover

12. curlew (in N ireland)

Jesus thank god for the pigeons. Oh I forgot alot of our birds here in N Ireland cross the irish sea in hard weather from GB. So that means they are moving south for the winter (bit like the rest of them above that cross the North Sea). I should'nt probably shoot the pigeons either then!!!!!

May as well hand the guns in to the PSNI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never heard such alot of rubbish in my life.

You are entitled to your opinion Dr D.

As I am mine. I dont consider myself to be an Idiot either thank you.

Several of the Duck species you mention on your post are showing alarming decline also, Particularly Mallard.

Without a doubt some will be removed from the General list in the years to come if the decline isnt halted and Woodcock, although numerous in some areas are reasoned to be in decline overall in GB and Europe. The results of the next few years surveys will reveal if this indeed the case.

Thats not rubbish its a fact.

I dont shoot Woodcock because I cant see any "sport" in the point of killing something so harmless just for the sake of a couple of mouthfulls. If others want to carry on Ive no problem with that at all.

The head in the sand attitude of some of the mercenaries who post on this forum is potentially more damaging than any idiotic post I might make.

While we are on the subject, I dont like displayed bags akin to the one in the picture I find it rather distasteful, a very Victorian trophy hunters attitude, and totally unnecessary. But thats just my Opinion of course. Nothing personal against the poster but he could just as easily posted a picture of one or two birds and referred to the other 67 in the freezer.

I think many on the Forum also underestimate the clout which the RSPB, BTO and WWT have with Defra which is substantially more than the Farmers Unions, Basc & the Game Conservancy Trust.

It was information on Population decline by these organisations which was instrumental in having the House Sparrow and The Starling removed from the general list otherwise every person in the country with an Air rifle would be still shooting them. (sadly many still are)

Who amongst us having witnessed the sheer volume of flocks of these birds in the 60,s & 70,s ever thought they would be removed from the list? (Be Honest!)