gulls

bullet1747

Thats something I was wondering myself today as i drove past a field filled with the nasty little aerial rats!

If this is sometihng that has been queried extensively around here please add my apologies to those of the OP but its somethingf I don't know, I havent been shooting that long to be fair!

used to shoot hundreds of gulls on my permission, they spend most of the day up on the landfill eating rotten **** then fly down and land in the middle of the lush green crops and **** allover

pig unit have taken the land on so they dont do much damage now, they just sit with the pigs and pick up the odd nuts that get left over

eat...yes if you are hungry, they dont taste too good but i guess it all depends on what they have been eating (**** from the quarry not so good!)

i might go get a couple off the cliffs in scraborough, they should taste of fish.. i like seafood

Edited by TJ91

On the crops? Doing what? There's 1000's where I am but doesn't mean I have to go out and shoot them.

What they eat comes out the other end onto the crop and makes a nasty mess, the faeces kills the crops

the can cause alot of damage sitting in the same place all the time on a crop, have seen big patches in middle of fields that havent grown due to the fact they have made a mess allover it

In the majority of cases gulls feeding on fields are the farmers friends. They eat soil pests and nitrogen from their droppings fertlize the crop. The only time when their might be any damage if salad crops are being grown in summer. There is no excuse for shooting them at this time of year, but in a very few cases the herring and black backed gulls can cause predation problems with waterfowl ducklings. In these cases you can apply for a licence to shoot a limited number. Big gull roosts can cause problems with drinking water lakes or at airfields.

Edited by anser2

Rigwallet are you suggesting you shoot them by calling them coastal pigeons ? Remember if you shoot say a black headed gull ( the commonest one ) and get reported . You will lose your shotgun certificate plus a fine when the law catches up you and dammage the repituation for shooting for the remainder of us. Is it realy worth it just to quench some thirst to kill things?

What they eat comes out the other end onto the crop and makes a nasty mess, the faeces kills the crops

the can cause alot of damage sitting in the same place all the time on a crop, have seen big patches in middle of fields that havent grown due to the fact they have made a mess allover it

What a load of nonsence. I've lived around crops and seagulls all my life and never seen any damage to crops caused by them. Your scraping the bottom of the barrel shooting gulls.

I have a mate who shoots over a farm that grows a lot of salad crops. If there are any bird droppings on lettuce the supermarkets reject them. He usually finds a scare gun keeps the gulls off the field. Otherwise i agree with MB and Dazzer I have never seen any other type of crop damaged by gulls. The main species using farmland are black headed and common gulls and there can be no excuse shooting these species.

I have a mate who shoots over a farm that grows a lot of salad crops. If there are any bird droppings on lettuce the supermarkets reject them. He usually finds a scare gun keeps the gulls off the field. Otherwise i agree with MB and Dazzer I have never seen any other type of crop damaged by gulls. The main species using farmland are black headed and common gulls and there can be no excuse shooting these species.

i work on a duck farm and herring gulls are killing up to 100 outside ducks a day.they peck the eyes out first then eat the flesh the duck dies in agony.gas bangers work for 1 or 2 days then no good.the only way is to shoot them,but this year we cannot get a licence so the slaughter continues.

bornfree

have no permissons with gulls on and no interest in shooting them but.....

why are they not on the general licence? they doesnt seem to be a shortage of them? esp if they are a pest in some situations.

There are lots of people in the world too! - Just because there are lots of them dosen't mean they are a pest species, annoying maybe. But if you shoot the wrong species it's a criminal offence which carries a maximum sentence of six months in jail or a £20,000 fine, apparently. Not worth the risk.

There are about 50+ at shool and it makes you a bit paranoid when they fly over and you just see and hear feces spat on the floor next to you and sometimes on somebody :good: . I would love to shoot them because their so annoying but have never seen them causing damage. I have never seen them on crops only on cut grass and ground that has ploughed. My dad works on a farm 1 day a week and never says anything about gulls causing damage.He does complain about the starlings because of the mess they make and the fact that the milk production is about 800 litres less each week when they are around the farm.