Coventry Newspaper Report

djgeoff

What a worthless, trash article.

Gill Marshal Andrews quote is the best - "those are deadly weapons, and we should know much more about those who are permitted to own them"

why? so someone can go and burgle the house and steal them? Utter retard.

"we should know who around us has guns so we can judge whether they are suitable"

what gives you the right to think you are a suitable person to judge gun ownership? I bet the answer would be "no-one is suitable" if this clown got the chance to decide who did or didn't become licensed.

I also like the way certificates are "handed out" as if they are leaflets or sweets.

and the final one:

"usually rifles or pistols"

I'd love to know how many of those certs had a pistol on them. I'm going to guess 0.

utter drivel.

Why don't we all volenteer our names and addresses to be made public knowledge so that the "Antis" can come and petrol bomb us or the "villains" can come and rob us and use our (Legally Held and Registered) guns to commit further crimes?

Where do these newspapers get their super intelligent reporters from, the loony bin? :hmm:

.... and the final one:

"usually rifles or pistols"

I'd love to know how many of those certs had a pistol on them. I'm going to guess 0 ....

Technically the statement could be correct as possesion of a black powder pistol or even a long barreled revolver / long barreled pistol is legal on a FAC. Unlikley in this situation tho as its quite rare but 2 guys at my club have BP pistols and another has 3 x LBR's

I know when the word 'pistol' is mentioned to the public, they have no conception of the difference between a BP pistol that takes minutes to load or a LBR that is essentially a short rifle and something Mell Gibson pulls out of his coat and uses to kill dozens of criminals. Its not the fault of the public but more that demented bint from the GCN who use spin and sensational stories to provoke shock responses .... I never hear of them entering into a 2 way dabate, its only ever news statements that cannot be questioned.

If you ask me the figures are low for a county for starters. Then move on to the fact that the teenager pictured is pointing a sawn off at the camera ( not a good image) and then the fact that this gun control member want to judge if I can have a FAC/SGC not the police. Its all utter drivel and the head line 50 teenagers armed with shotgun...........certificates what ****

George

Edited by groach1234

Technically the statement could be correct as possesion of a black powder pistol or even a long barreled revolver / long barreled pistol is legal on a FAC. Unlikley in this situation tho as its quite rare but 2 guys at my club have BP pistols and another has 3 x LBR's

I know when the word 'pistol' is mentioned to the public, they have no conception of the difference between a BP pistol that takes minutes to load or a LBR that is essentially a short rifle and something Mell Gibson pulls out of his coat and uses to kill dozens of criminals. Its not the fault of the public but more that demented bint from the GCN who use spin and sensational stories to provoke shock responses .... I never hear of them entering into a 2 way dabate, its only ever news statements that cannot be questioned.

Probably rare, but ... I once rang up an editor and criticised a story that was full of incorrect information which might be offensive to some of the old folk in my town (sorry cannot give details), it turns out he was due to run a follow up the next week. I made it very clear that he needs to check out his facts before printing. I had certain inside knowledge and advised him of the full details of the police officer to contact to verify my points. He apologised and never followed up with the second story.

well i so miffed by this paper report i have emailed this uk gun control, right or wrong i told um what i think and if i find this sam dimmer i wil send one there as well. email was:

I have just read yesterdays news paper and what a load of poppy cock, I am sorry but as a licensed SGC holder what does this lady (Gill Marshall-Andrews as quoted in paper) want us to do wave a red flag a say look I have a gun!

Now every god dam criminal and anti gun person in the country can come round and rob, attack me! Get real!

You will do nothing but drive guns more into the underground and black market

I am outraged at such a stupid idea, is she not aware that this country has just won medals using the same guns she is on about and they are going to mint a coin celebrating this achievement.

Dont get me wrong i was sickened by the incidents recently regarding guns, but you cant go round blaming and painting us all with the same brush just because of the one or two people who go off the rails for whatever reason.

If this is the case why dont she ban the motor car, this can be used as a weapon, and what is to say a licence holder in a car can't go of the rails and use the car to mow people down.

I think the media and alike have to be seen to be doing something after these sort of events and it makes good reading, sells papers, and job justification.

sorry if i have done wrong pw readers but i am well p off

Edited by djgeoff

Horrifying. 50 teenagers obeying the law. Big story.

Perhaps they should follow up with a story '500 teenagers in Coventry driving with tax, insurance, a clean driving licence and an MOT certificate' and a picture of a ram-raider.

or '5000 teenagers over the age of 18 in Coventry drink beer in fully licensed pubs' and a picture of someone smoking crack.

Perhaps someone should alert the Police to the image "proof" of someone posing with an "illegally held" weapon on the front of the paper, as i cant see anyone with a an SGC or FAC posing for that photo... GCN need to sort out their ideas, having looked at their website randomly enough today it makes interesting reading...know thine enemy...

Whether the image is "stock" or not it requires investigation as it has been published the figures are from a freedom f information act request, nothing wrong with that at all, surprised that the combined forces of West Mids and Warwicks have so few SGC & FAC....

Edited by HDAV

I'm guessing Marshall Andrews naively thinks she might be able to sneak in some sort of public information such as that done with "Sarahs law" - then when the info is out there just wait for the legally helds to get moved to a holding place then stolen and used in a murder ... end of civilian gun ownership will follow.

If she's pathetic enough to believe the public will ever have a right to know who has guns then it probably won't matter to her if a few innocent people get killed with stolen guns if it furthers her cause.

Feel free to email the editor and complain: darren.parkin@coventrytelegraph.net

And if anyone is feeling brave, give them a buzz. Maybe someone from a shooting organisation might want a word with them: 024 76 633 633

thanks for that i have just done that cuz i am p... off with the rubbish they printed

email content as follows: ( some of the quotes i have taken from forum posts)

I very disturbed like many other law abiding shotgun and firearms licence holders at your inaccurate and what’s nothing more than scare mongering .

For one I hope the person in the picture has been arrested and prosecuted because this person is clearly holding a sawn off shot gun, which is illegal.

Do you honestly think tell everyone where the guns are is a good idea WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH!

We don’t go round pointing out i/we have guns in our houses to the general public.

Are you suggesting we all become targets for criminals to rob us etc to get to our guns.

Why publish such a load of ****? Ok it sells news papers, but I find you are boarding on discrimination trying to tar us all with the same brush.

Are you not aware the same guns which you have described in your article have also won this country Olympic medals in clay pigeon shooting and a 50 pence coin is due to be minted to celebrate this.

I suggest you take a look at the forum for which I am a member and read some of the comments left about your article

You may learn more from this than Sam Dimmer has published.

Here is the link

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/145237-coventry-newspaper-report/

but I dare say it won’t bother you, because you are in the business of selling papers and your report is one sided.

Did banning the hand gun make a blind bit of difference to the criminals getting guns?

NO!

They still get their guns, all it done was to stop legally gun owners from carrying on with their hobbies and sports.

Motor cars etc are dangerous weapons in the wrong hands, why is no one banning these?

Why not publish something worth reading in favour of our sports and achievements.

Or is the Coventry Telegraph Bias or just plain anti gun.

Regards

Geoff

I don’t wish to disclose my address or full name for the obvious reasons

I have done likewise:

Dear Sir,

I am writing to complain after having read the article written by Sam Dimmer regarding 50 Teenagers armed with shotguns.

I have never read such an uninformed, fictional piece of nonsense in a newspaper, and have never felt the need to write and complain to a paper before, but this article really does warrant it.

Firstly, the image of a teenager holding a sawn-off shotgun used in the paper is entirely inappropriate. Sawn-off shotguns are illegal in the UK, and no person, teenager or otherwise who holds a shotgun certificate and legally held weapons would possess such an item.

The style of the headline was clearly written to be inflammatory, but for what reason? So 50 under 18s have a shotgun certificate. So what? Would it be such a surprise to report how many under 21s who own cars have insurance?

In the quote: "In Warwickshire 49 teenagers have certificates to use shotguns and seven can use firearms – usually rifles or pistols." Sam Dimmer is again entirely incorrect as handguns have been banned in the UK for some years now for the vast majority of people. A firearms license applies to rifles, high-powered air rifles and high-capacity shotguns only - except in the case of pest controllers who may be able to own a restrictive type of pistol.

Illegally held weapons which are used in every-day crime include sub-machine guns and handguns, none of which are legal to own, and are imported into the UK from Eastern Europe and elsewhere around the world. The use of legally held weapons in crime is minimal as has been acknowledged by the Home Affairs Select Committee recently. The most likely way for a legally held weapon to be used in crime would be when it was stolen. It would be more likely to be stolen if those seeking to steal them knew where to find them, and this would be far more likely to occur if the details of those who hold licensed guns were published. So the ideas from Gill Marshall-Andrews are entirely ridiculous.

Those who hold shotgun/firearms licenses are amongst the most law-abiding citizens that this country has. They respect the responsibility that they have undertaken and on the whole are incredibly robust in upholding that responsibility. To not carry out their duties under the law in relation to ownership of firearms could be illegal and they would therefore run the risk of losing their guns - which cost a lot of money and also committing a crime, which is not what any of them would want.

The English shooting team has recently won an array of medals at the Commonwealth Games, yet this was not publicised by the media, and the guns that were used were the exact type of gun that your reporter and the person from UK gun control is talking about.

Why not publish balanced unbiased articles rather than trying to inflame attitudes of the ill-informed against some of the most law-abiding citizens in the country.

Yours faithfully,

J Burchell

Address withheld for obvious reasons.