featherd game with a rifle right or wrong

johnny

just looked on BASC website, copied this from there.

quote;

Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare

so why do they classifiy hare as "game" along with the birds, yet when we ask what is classed as "ground game" the birds get left out of the answer

did it ever cross your mind they were left out because they are not ground game? the mind boggles

KW

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's rubbish.

You are allowed to shoot birds under three separate bits of law, the first being the 'Game Act 1831' and the second 'General license -To kill or take certain wild birds to prevent serious damage or disease', and the third being the good old 'Wildlife and Countryside act 1981'.

Now, the most important thing that the Game act does, apart from set out seasons for shooting, is it designates certain species as 'Game', - and henceforth this is the legal definition of certain species of bird (Pheasant, Partridge etc) and, no wording can change that.

Where as the Wildlife and Countryside act + The General license basically writes out the rules on what birds you can shoot except game (Pests and wildfowl) and the definition for those (i.e 'Pests' - and 'Wildfowl') with certain bits of legislation applying to both.

Now, for my first point, who ever asked the question 'Is it legal to shoot game at night' - here is your answer

The shooting of game at night (between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise) is not permitted. Ground game (rabbit and hare) may be shot at night by an occupier of land or one other person authorised by the occupier, with the permission of the holder of the shooting rights under Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 Schedule 7, unless the occupier has the exclusive rights.

- So, no, it's not, more so I'd like to add, it's also illegal for the

- Use of any device for illuminating a target for all birds except feral pigeons and for all mammals listed on Schedule 6 (Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981)

“Illuminating device” may include laser-type sighting devices.

So, even if it was legal to shoot game at night, to get anything legally it'll be a 'shot in the dark' (hahaaaaa)

------

The Problems with shooting game (legally) with Firearm rated rifles.

Well, several things are stopping you doing this.

Firstly, it states in the wildlife and countryside act 1981, that it's illegal to use - - Any automatic or semi-automatic weapon against any schedule 6 mammal or any bird except the Bird Pest Species

Wait, you say? - I see people using semi auto shotguns against wildfowl all the time!. - Yes, that's very true, but under the act the Definition for Semi automatic is a bit weird:

"Automatic weapon" and "semi-automatic weapon" means any weapon which is capable of holding more than two rounds in the magazine.

So, again, Unless you have a rifle with a two shot magazine (and isn't capable of holding a 3 shot or higher), it's illegal to shoot game with your rifle under this bit of the act.* (Read below)

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

Remember earlier I was going on about certain species being legally defined as Game?, well, let's have a look at our FAC tickets.

Mine says something roughly like this.

Condition 5: The 22RF rifle and .22 Sound Moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin and for zeroing on ranges ... (etc).

So, with this condition I'm only allowed to shoot vermin (which the Home Office Guidelines states as either the aforementioned 'Pest' Bird species and mammals listed under section 6 of the countryside wildlife act 1981 such as Rats, rabbits etc (Foxes fall into a bit of a grey area here).

Now, this has knocked out around 99% of FAC rifle users, but some smart **** is going to say 'I own a single shot .22 and have an 'all legal quarry' condition on my ticket.

Technically under this condition you can shoot Game with a FAC rifle, but then again, your FAO probably wouldn't be partically happy about it, unless you stated in your interview this was your reason for wanting 'All legal quarry' condition (Rather than an excuse to shoot rabbits at 250 yards with a .308).

I hope that clears things up, but to be honest, the laws regarding shooting are a massive jumble of badly defined acts, that are a bit hard to follow, and filled with gaping grey areas that will only be ironed out when settled in court - which we can all agree is not worth being a smart **** backroom lawyer about when you end up in front of a judge.

*One thing I will say is that this definition has never been tested in court, and might, or might not exclude actions that are not self loading (Bolt, Underlever etc), and it would still prove very difficult to get a condition that states you are allowed to shoot game with your FAC.

cant remember what i was going to say after reading all that :oops:

Oh yeah, just shoot the bloody things and stop moaning. :rolleyes:

Personally, As long as the bird is being shot to go on the dinner table, I couldn't care how it was taken, as long as it didn't suffer. Could you imagine telling a tribesman he couldn't kill the monkey unless he chased it a bit first!

As for the term "sporting". If you find killing things a "sport" then you need to put the guns down and walk away!!

For me its pest control, but mainly, its FOOD! I eat what I shoot, and I enjoy it, whether it be taken with an air rifle, shotgun, or FA!

Secondly, if it is for the dinner table, what would you rather? A Sunday roast with everyone spitting lead? Or a clean bird (headshot)? I know what I would prefer!! :good:

Edited by aliengravy

Personally, As long as the bird is being shot to go on the dinner table, I couldn't care how it was taken, as long as it didn't suffer. Could you imagine telling a tribesman he couldn't kill the monkey unless he chased it a bit first!

As for the term "sporting". If you find killing things a "sport" then you need to put the guns down and walk away!!

For me its pest control, but mainly, its FOOD! I eat what I shoot, and I enjoy it, whether it be taken with an air rifle, shotgun, or FA!

Secondly, if it is for the dinner table, what would you rather? A Sunday roast with everyone spitting lead? Or a clean bird (headshot)? I know what I would prefer!! :good:

True sense spoken here!

Made me LOL at the

"Could you imagine telling a tribesman he couldn't kill the monkey unless he chased it a bit first!" bit.

:yes:

:good:

Edited by Colster

so everyone that game shoots in this country should put their gun down? sporting shooting is the major part of shooting in the uk

so everyone that game shoots in this country should put their gun down? sporting shooting is the major part of shooting in the uk

Have you heard of game shooting? What do you think it is about? (Hint: it isn't about feeding the beaters)

Let's not get too carried away with terminology, there are some daft words/phrases in the English language, I think most of us generally understood what he meant, and, for example, PUBLIC schools tend to be about as private as they come.

ATB!! :hmm::good:

Firstly, I don't know how much lead you find in the birds you shoot but I wouldn't say that everyone spends half the night removing pellets from their meal? So that argument is a tad flawed.

Secondly, although I don't like saying "sporting",(it just sounds strange to say that shooting pheasants is a sport) I think it is far more challenging to kill a moving bird than a stationary one and the other side of it is that the bird stands a chance of getting away.

ATB :good:

Why on gods earth would anyone want to kill a game bird with a rifle? What satisfaction would you get from it? Surely using a shotgun is the most sporting way to do it?

Legal or not shooting any game bird with a rifle should be completely frowned upon in my opininon.

I dont mind shooting vermin birds with a rifle as Its way easier and more humane than using a shotgun in my opinion!

Non FAC Air-rifle, Pheasant in my own garden, shot through the head at about 15 yards - not sporting maybe but hey that's Sunday dinner sorted.

What satisfaction did you get in this? I actually cant believe you done this! Could you not have went to the shop for Sundays dinner?

Could you honestly tell me you get as much enjoyment shooting a pheasnat with a air rifle as you do, out hunting with your dog and shotgun?

Why dont you just go up the pheasant pen before dark and shoot all the pheasants roosting in the trees? Not sporting but at least you could feed yourself for a few days :sly::sly: As youd say!

I think he knew what he was writing, if a bird having a sporting chance is not what he wants then fine blast things at close range. However he doesn't necessarily need to suggest the other 90% of shooters should give up.

Exactly. I shoot things because I like doing it. It's fun. I resolved this "killing for fun", if that's what some want to call it, in my own conscience ages ago. As long as an animal is in adundance, sustainable and isn't wasted after death then I am happy.

Others have different reasons to go shooting, e.g. pest controllers, and that is perfectly sound as well.

But anyone who thinks they are shooting only "for the pot" is kidding themselves. Do they really want us to believe that they, and their families, will starve because they haven't been out with the gun for a while? Are they scared to admit they might actually enjoy killing things? To themselves, to others? I really don't get it.

Why on gods earth would anyone want to kill a game bird with a rifle? What satisfaction would you get from it? Surely using a shotgun is the most sporting way to do it?

Legal or not shooting any game bird with a rifle should be completely frowned upon in my opininon.

I dont mind shooting vermin birds with a rifle as Its way easier and more humane than using a shotgun in my opinion!

You've lost me there :hmm:

The Woodpigeon is the most common pest/vermin bird in this country, and is by far a more 'sporting' bird than any Pheasant.

I don't understand why you feel it's more humane to shoot a Pigeon with a rifle and not a Pheasant? It certainly isn't easier.

You seem to be of the opinion that game birds are somehow 'better' than Pigeons? Well if it's sporting birds you're after you'll have to look hard to beat the humble Woodpigeon or wild duck. I don't think hand reared pheasant come close.

You've lost me there :hmm:

The Woodpigeon is the most common pest/vermin bird in this country, and is by far a more 'sporting' bird than any Pheasant.

I don't understand why you feel it's more humane to shoot a Pigeon with a rifle and not a Pheasant? It certainly isn't easier.

You seem to be of the opinion that game birds are somehow 'better' than Pigeons? Well if it's sporting birds you're after you'll have to look hard to beat the humble Woodpigeon or wild duck. I don't think hand reared pheasant come close.

you've probably never seen decent ones fly, not much comes close to a high bird peasant or partridge shoot. When you've shot some decent driven days its very hard to beat. Yes pigeon shooting is challenging but it is very different