More Red Tape from the FLO.

Bazooka Joe

I've recently added a Rem 223 Rifle to my FAC, & also a slot for a Mod.

About a week ago I obtained a Pes Mod that came off my mates 22-250, so I emailed through to the FLO telling them that I've added a Mod to my FAC.

So, today I get a phone call from the FLO telling me that the Mod that I've added to my FAC is technically illegal :blink: she added that to be legal I would have to have a variation to swap the 223 mod that's on my FAC now, to a 22-250 mod that the Pes Mod was originally bought for in the first place. :look:

Basically, my mate's got a 22-250, he bought the Pes Mod for it, so in the eyes of the FLO it's classed as a 22-250 Mod, & has to be treated as such, even though the Pes Mod will fit any 22 CF obviously with the right thread.

For me to be legal, I have to swop the condition on my FAC that allows me to buy a Mod for my 223, for a 22-250.

So tomorrow I'll have a Rem 223 rifle with a 22-250 Mod on my cert :blink:

The mind boggles, more paper work than enough :rolleyes:

She states it isn't a problem, it just keeps there books right :yes::lol:

If you had a slot for mod already why did they need to know it was off a 22.250. I would get this sorted as it doesnt make sense at all does it, explain that the mod is suitable for many .22 centrefires.

Don't assume that Firearms officials always know the law, I was told that I couldnt change a variation for a FAC air rifle for a 243 as the calibre and power differance was to big a jump and I would have to pay again.It was nonesense of course but I had to enclose a letter explaining that maybe this wasnt correct.

If you had a slot for mod already why did they need to know it was off a 22.250. I would get this sorted as it doesnt make sense at all does it, explain that the mod is suitable for many .22 centrefires.

Believe me RG I went to great lengths on the phone today explaining the in's & out's, got nowhere.

Hi Ian, the wording on my FAC; Authorized to be purchased, Sound Moderator N/A

Don't assume that Firearms officials always know the law, I was told that I couldnt change a variation for a FAC air rifle for a 243 as the calibre and power differance was to big a jump and I would have to pay again.It was nonesense of course but I had to enclose a letter explaining that maybe this wasnt correct.

It would have depended how the previous owner had it listed on his FAC and how the new owners Moderator condition reads.

If it was specifically listed as a 22-250 mod on the sellers cert and the buyer only had a listing for a .223 mod then BOTH have broken the law.

You can argue all day it is a technicality, which of course it is as it's the same mod, but they have broken the law.

:hmm: :look: :yes:

If you're with BASC get them to talk to her as I see the big issue here is she is female. Otherwise a letter in explaining how the .22 centrefires use the same actual projectile just different cases and that the mods should be listed as a .22cf mod or simply sound moderator. After all it doesn't have a serial number against it and they don't have a record of each moderator produced

Is your FAC authority worded specifically for a 223 mod?

If it is then i am afraid your licensing office is correct.

You need to have your authority worded as a "centrefire moderator".

Ian.

Yup, got mine worded like that as I have one mod with 2 calibre adaptors so I can swop between the 6.5 and triple.

I feel sorry for you as you seem to be up against a brick wall :yes:

You can argue all day it is a technicality, which of course it is as it's the same mod, but they have broken the law.

:hmm: :look: :yes:

didnt the clash write a song about this?

"Bought a mod for my gun, but i bought the wrong one"

"i fought the law and the law won, i fought the law and the law won!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FeBf6JSDg

Edited by artschool

If you're with BASC get them to talk to her

Hi Alex, now we both know that won't happen :yes:

I' explained in detail to her, but to know avail. I'm off down to the FLO soon, see what materializes, hopefully a bit common sense.

I can just imagine being pulled by a rookie plod & trying to explain why I've a 22-250 Mod on a Remm 223 Rifle. :rolleyes:

If you're with BASC get them to talk to her as I see the big issue here is she is female. Otherwise a letter in explaining how the .22 centrefires use the same actual projectile just different cases and that the mods should be listed as a .22cf mod or simply sound moderator. After all it doesn't have a serial number against it and they don't have a record of each moderator produced

Did you know some females actually shoot very well, heck there are even a few female gunsmiths :lol: sex has nothing to do with being a no nothing, but it sounds like red tape from someone higher up the ladder who said sort it :rolleyes:

Hiya

I would ask the FLO how a moderator can be chamber specific.I would also suggest that if you bought a mod that was previously used on a .308 and you bought it,it would still be a 223 moderator because thats what you are using it on .

Hope it works out

MARK

It is nothing to to with the Mod being calibre specific (but they are anyway, you would look pretty stupid putting a .17 mod on a .308, and some are designed very calibre specific, and putting too big a mod on too small a calibre is self defeating of the whole point of a mod), it depends how it is listed on the current owners FAC.

The whole issue of moderators is daft, getting a variation for a 1 for 1 seems a complete waste of resources, there has been lots of talk of change, including letting RFD deal with FAC issues with moderators. :hmm::good:

Ha Ha..go for it, yep I have plenty of opinions of women, some are actually quite favourable, anyway, it rather seems to me she is sticking to the letter of the law, but at the same time has offered a solution.

From what I have read she is correct, it may be a technicality, and it may be daft (I think we would all agree on that) but then so much firearm law is daft.

This is why I have said MANY a time, that a MAJOR review of Firearms Law is required.

Well all sorted now, I've 22-250 Pes Mod designated for my Rem 223 :blink:

Had a bit more crack with them, they say the only Two Mods they recognize that can be interchangeable between rifles......is a Wildcat...or....a Predator 8 :lol: ..I nearly rolled off the seat hearing that :yes:

There's times I just give up,

Ha Ha..go for it, yep I have plenty of opinions of women, some are actually quite favourable, anyway, it rather seems to me she is sticking to the letter of the law, but at the same time has offered a solution.

From what I have read she is correct, it may be a technicality, and it may be daft (I think we would all agree on that) but then so much firearm law is daft.

This is why I have said MANY a time, that a MAJOR review of Firearms Law is required.

Glad to see one FLO is sticking to the law. I think the problem with firearms and shotguns that the guidelines are open to interpretation which it should not be. There should be hard and fast rules that have one meaning and then no one can be in doubt. Yes i agree a MAJOR review concerning firearms and shotguns is required. They should be this is is, that is that, clear concise and can only have 1 meaning.

Edited by blackbirdtrev

Nothing at all on the Mod, it's amended on my FAC..

Since it's a clearance hole in a mod, why do licensing offices tie it to a specific cartridge? Where is the public safety aspect in that?

The law clearly specifies calibres but the police always specify the cartridge :blink:

Since it's a clearance hole in a mod, why do licensing offices tie it to a specific cartridge? Where is the public safety aspect in that?

The law clearly specifies calibres but the police always specify the cartridge :blink:

They tend to tie it to a specific rifle which will generally be a fairly specific cartridge.

The problem with Firearms Laws are that they are full of holes, inaccuracies, nonsense and errors, there is a lot of difference between a .22 Rimfire and .22 Centrefire, even though the calibre may well be very similar! :good: