Garden pigeon shooting-airgun: THE LAW

tsg

Hi Guys,

seeking some advice: can you legally shoot a wood pigeon in your garden with an air rifle providing that the pellet doesn't leave the boundary?

On the BASC website stated that you cannot shoot wood pigeons for sporting reasons, only for crop protection.

There is no closed game season for wood pigeon as far as I know.

I intend to eat it so as RSPCA is concerned, NO cruelty here as head shot means instant death(no suffering).

Besides, in some airgun magazines I read you find an article about some shooting outing resulting in shooting a pigeon, crow, rabbit or squirrels. In this instance the writer wasn't protecting any crops (shots taken in the woods, or winter) or at least not mentioning it.

Thank you for advice.

TSG

Edited by tsg

Yes, you can.

As long as you follow the rules laid down in the Open General Licence.

Taking Wood pigeon for tea (consumption) is not mentioned on the licence. Does this mean that wood pigeon cannot be considered game?

Yes, you can.

As long as you follow the rules laid down in the Open General Licence.

:good::good:

and.....

NO cruelty here as head shot means instant death(no suffering).

I am impressed with your ability, if you can take a Pigeon every time with a headshot then you are better than most on this site and I take my hat off to you!

Of course it can be done, but you also have every chance of being a little off, parting his hair, smashing his beak, scratching his eye or slicing his neck, etc, etc, each of which is likely to make for a slow painful death as he flies off.

Out of interest just why would a Chest/Heart shot with 12ft lb ruin your meal, and you would have a much better chance of a kill if you were a little off to?!

and.....

I am impressed with your ability, if you can take a Pigeon every time with a headshot then you are better than most on this site and I take my hat off to you!

Of course it can be done, but you also have every chance of being a little off, parting his hair, smashing his beak, scratching his eye or slicing his neck, etc, etc, each of which is likely to make for a slow painful death as he flies off.

Out of interest just why would a Chest/Heart shot with 12ft lb ruin your meal, and you would have a much better chance of a kill if you were a little off to?!

You should shoot a pigeon in the back and avoid all that breast meat :good:

Taking Wood pigeon for tea (consumption) is not mentioned on the licence. Does this mean that wood pigeon cannot be considered game?

They're not classed as game.

You can't shoot them for the table. The fact that they're tasty is just down to pure luck :)

Have a read of this: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/wml-gl04_tcm6-24149.pdf

Should tell you all you need to know about legally shooting pigeon and other pest species.

I've answered this question a dozen (if not more) times.

The simple answer is: Maybe.

You are allowed to control certain birds (Not game/wildfowl which are kept under a different act) that allows you to shoot certain birds if conditions are met.

The reasons for doing so are:

(Wildlife and countryside act 1982, F39/3)

(a)preserving public health or public or air safety;

(b)preventing the spread of disease; or

©preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, [F39, fisheries or inland waters].

Now most people do so under 'Protection of crops', claiming that they are damaging there veggies in the back garden. (But this is not a serious defense, as 'Serious damage' is completely up to interpertation)

What should be mentioned is that there is no concrete 'right or wrong' on this issue, if you are caught, and taken to court, the vast majority of this act is up to interpretation by the judge and jury.

People have gotten in serious trouble for shooting pigeons in there back garden before.

I might a full FAQ on this at some point because I'm tired of repeating myself.

Edited by Bleeh

Quite a difficult shot to nail a woodie in the canister, they don't keep thier head still very long, allways on the lookout. Like said above shoot them in the back quite high up that should do the trick.

And its worth pointing out ALL birds are protected, pest speices can ouly be shot when all other methods have been explored such as asking them nicely not to eat the farmers profits.

Edited by Snap Cap

Quite a difficult shot to nail a woodie in the canister, they don't keep thier head still very long, allways on the lookout. Like said above shoot them in the back quite high up that should do the trick.

And its worth pointing out ALL birds are protected, pest speices can ouly be shot when all other methods have been explored such as asking them nicely not to eat the farmers profits.

Headshots on woodies are not that hard if the range is kept the strict side of sensible.

I agree that a shot between the shoulder blades works brilliantly.

I have shot Woodies in my back garden, to protect my own crops - brassicas and peas mainly.

Does that alter things? I ahd asked them nicely to leave my food crops alone :hmm:

Thanks for the advice.

As there a great chance of ending up in court if doing so, I decided not to pursue on this matter.

I will have to find some crops to protect instead, and use my 12g if allowed.

Cheers

TSG

Edited by tsg

As already stated; the General Licence is open to interpretation. All it takes is one busy body to report you and you will find yourself having to justify your actions to avoid prosecution. If you can convince a CPS lawyer that you are acting within the terms of the General Licence, i.e to protect crops from serious damage and you have demonstrated that you have taken all possible measures to protect your crops without shooting then you may be in the clear.

Personally I wouldn't risk it. :no:

As for the head shot debate; I reckon there are two types of shooters; those who do and those who talk about doing. Yes, headshots are possible, but given the size of the target and the unpredictable movement of the head then give me a chest shot any day - front, side or back.

Damaging chest meat? One pellet hole. Nobody complains about multiple wounds in those birds shot with 12 bores. :rolleyes:

and.....

taking a pigeon everytime with headshot just requires skill and most of all paitence (waiting for a pigeon to keep its head still) i used to shoot pigeons in the chest with my old .22 air rifle when i was younger and no it dosent damage meat but i found that there was a small percentage of pigeons flying off with a puff of pellets. ever since i have started taking headshots with my .177 air arms 95% of my shots have been quick clean kills and any slight misses (eye shot, clipping shot) have disabled the pigeon enoguh for me to run over and quickly dispatch it. i would never recommend a heart shot over a headshot. there is to much thick done protecting it from a front on shot, and the only time i would recommend a shot other than a headshot is when the pigeon is facing away from you and a between the shoulder shot is easier and equally effective nocking out the heart and vitals.

Hi Guys,

seeking some advice: can you legally shoot a wood pigeon in your garden with an air rifle providing that the pellet doesn't leave the boundary?

On the BASC website stated that you cannot shoot wood pigeons for sporting reasons, only for crop protection.

There is no closed game season for wood pigeon as far as I know.

I intend to eat it so as RSPCA is concerned, NO cruelty here as head shot means instant death(no suffering).

Besides, in some airgun magazines I read you find an article about some shooting outing resulting in shooting a pigeon, crow, rabbit or squirrels. In this instance the writer wasn't protecting any crops (shots taken in the woods, or winter) or at least not mentioning it.

Thank you for advice.

Sorin

On the way you descibe it here, no you can't. Reason is you don't meet the criteria for actuall killing. Remember all birds are protected and you might kill certain one for certain reasons. To eat or for sport do not pertain to woodies

Yet another crazy *******' law!

If they are not endangered and taste good and are plentiful, why should I not be allowed to take some for the pot?

you can, you can take as many as you want, as long as its in the right place(farmers field) and you call it "pest control" irrelivant of weather you want to eat it or not

Yet another crazy *******' law!

If they are not endangered and taste good and are plentiful, why should I not be allowed to take some for the pot?

The law is that you cannot shoot any bird or mammal not on the game list. The General Licence allows for certain species classified as pests to be killed for certain reasons. The terms of the GL are amended as necessary and that is far easier and quicker than trying to get new legislation through Parliament. Nothing crazy about it. What is crazy is that there are so many people who do not bother to read the relevant laws before buying an air weapon. This question turns up time and time again on shooting forums.

I'm surprised no-one picked up on this earlier :/

And all the praise he's getting from others, what you say might be a good thing :yes:

I don't think it would be a bad thing to be honest. :yes:

The only problem would be the estimated 4 million already in circulation.

Or bring back the Game/Hunting licence take your £fee to the post office or defra website show/enter cert details (for airgun all details inc photo) apply for species HAVE to READ the LAW (lead shot, calibres etc for deer, pest species, crop protection) get your licence, if shooting anything living without first offence large fine destruction of weapon loss of certs ban etc second custodial sentence, anyone found with shot game/pest etc without a cert (or being a game delaer etc) faces above.

Yes hard to police, but if the fee was small enough it would not stop anyone shooting (rod licence) could be included in BASC etc membership with insurance (should this be a compulsory component?)

Most countries france germany etc its easier to buy a gun than go hunting! You need to do course and al sorts and i my opinion not a bad thing! Just because you buy a £69.99 air gun doesnt give you the right to shoot animals as many people seem to think I was reading about a guy who shoots fox with sub 12ft/lbs I am no fox lover but i do think that is wrong!

Always amuses me this topic, it's usually started by an air-gun owner looking to take the odd pigeon out of a tree (at least he was planning to eat it rather than just leave it where it lands), this then leads to a bunch of armchair lawyers explaining the terms of the general licence and what constitutes serious crop damage, all other methods explored etc

How much you want to bet these people also enjoy a day's decoying over stubble - where's the crop damage there?

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your reply. I am satisfied that there are no grounds to shoot pigeons for meat, unless using and GL excuse.

I asked the question to Senior Licensing Officer of Wildlife Licensing Unit,Wildlife Management & Licensing Service,Natural England

And the answer was:

"

Dear Mr ......

Please find the explanation below, Re: the general licence, any other activities are not allowed, i.e. taking pigeons as game or for food consumption, as all birds are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

‘General Licences reduce bureaucracy by allowing people to carry out activities that affect protected species without the need to apply for a personal licence. General Licences are only used for activities that carry a low risk for the conservation or welfare of the protected species and where a personal licence would be routinely issued. On the General Licences that include pigeons i.e. for the purposes of preventing serious damage to crops or preserving public health and safety, there is no obligation on the user to report their activities to Natural England. Further information on General Licences and copies of the actual licences are available on our website: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/generallicences.aspx’

I hope this gives you a satisfactory explanation.

"

GL leads to interpretation.

If it was up to GL most of Pigeon shooting won't be legal as I see hard to explain what steps/methods are taken to scare the birds off. Obviously shooting from a hide or fixing rotors+decoys does little to "frighten" the pigeons. It is another EXCUSE to shoot pigeons for sporting.

Thanks Again,

TSG

Edited by tsg