car insurance for 17 year old son

tinytim38

Please can someone tell me the most cost effective way of insuring my son to drive his polo 1.0, I know its expensive, but there are lots of us with kids this age, anyone got some good experience, he has his test in 3 weeks and I am trying to help him sort some insurance for when he hopefully passes, thanks in advance Tim

get a car that isnt commonly used by young drivers

stick an older woman on the policy who has plenty of no claims and has been driving for 15+ yrs

trawl through the comparison websites then ring around the 3 cheapest on each site, have a haggle and see what you can do

i managed to get myne down by 360quid by putting my oldest sister on my policy (shes only 24, i am 19)

i rang the 3 cheapest on gocompare and comparethemarket, did abit of haggling, spun a few white lies about my cheapest quote and bagged a fair price in the end (by no means chep though!)

My younger brother bought a moped, he just couldn't afford the car insurance.

On a 1.2 litre corsa he paid £2800.

Insurance companys have a license to print money, they can charge what they want.

Also now the companys are using the same type of comparison sites as us, so they all know roughly what we are being quoted and base their quotes on that.

So shopping around these days is still a good idea, but no where near as effective as it used to be.

Shooting friend of mine just got quoted £4,995 for his son fully comp on a 1.2 fiesta!! :blink: cheapest he found was Admiral for £1200 :oops: his son is 19

Best bet would be to find an insurance group that will give named drivers years no claims. That is of course unless they really are the main driver than its best for them to get their own policy. If they are on yours as a named driver, when they turn 21 it drops dramatically especially if they have a few years no claims under their belt. As TJ91 says they want your business so haggling will get you somewhere :yes:

Edit: Pass plus pretty usless i found the insurance companys rarely give anthing off for it. Advanced driving done by police instructor will get you quite a bit off though :good:

Edited by spiceychilli57

1 thing i cant get my head round is why new cars are cheaper to insure than older models, is it because most young people cant afford them!?

i have always found the cars that are uncommon with young drivers are cheapest so forget saxo, 106, 206, small engined fiestas, clios....just get a moped :good:

i am on the look out for an old shape astra 1.7td, they seem to be good on insurance for me

I'd strongly advise against 'Ghosting' (I think that's the term), that being putting a younger driver on your insurance as a named driver, who is in reality the 'Main Driver' in an attempt to save money.

It worked well for a while, but the industry has cottoned on, and has started coming down hard against people who do this by simply refusing claims when ever they feel like it, which then lands the driver in the poo for not having insurance (and at a young age, this will sky rocket premiums, and take a bunch of points away).

It's easy just put about £2K+ to one side for the first year and suck it up.

Or you could do what about 90% of parents do and stick them one your policy as a named driver - but be prepared to suffer the wrath of people associated with the 'trade' telling you you are breaking the law

Things you can do to reduce it (not much) are as stated, Pass Plus but that is only recognised by the more expensive companies, put you or your spouse as a named driver, minmum milage, maximum excess etc etc

My wife's car is the old type Kia Rio, the one that looks like it came out of the Adams family movie? hardly trendy and 0-60 no time soon but still £1500!! To be fair she is a careful driver but got caught of like all of us do at some time or another, the last few weeks in Shropshire have seen some of the iceiest roads here in many years. At one point Shropshire had 49 reported accidents in two hours so she was not alone!

atvb Paul.

get a car that isnt commonly used by young drivers

stick an older woman on the policy who has plenty of no claims and has been driving for 15+ yrs

trawl through the comparison websites then ring around the 3 cheapest on each site, have a haggle and see what you can do

i managed to get myne down by 360quid by putting my oldest sister on my policy (shes only 24, i am 19)

i rang the 3 cheapest on gocompare and comparethemarket, did abit of haggling, spun a few white lies about my cheapest quote and bagged a fair price in the end (by no means chep though!)

This is what my niece did, all above board.....

she put her mam and dad on the policy, told the insurance company they both had their own cars as well and my niece would be the main driver.

Brought hers down by quite a bit, (through Elephant)

shaun

Have a search on this subject. There was a thread maybe 3 months ago that went very in depth into the topic.

The short of it is that insurance is not cheap. 4.5 years ago when i passed i was paying nearly 2.5k Full comp on a 4k car. Its even more expensive now.

Fronting, is illegal and if you get caught (does happen) then your insurance wont pay out and you will have to answer to the legalities of the matter. Which wont help when it comes to a SGC/FAC renewal either.

Ontop of which it is somewhat of a false economy as the 2nd driver wont earn any no claims (besides maybe with that particular insurer), and they will have to pay a pretty similar insurance premium when they eventually get their own policy.

It is a fact that Male first time drivers are pretty certain to have a shunt, it costs this much because of this. Pay up is my advice.

When it comes to getting the price down, you want to add lower risk drivers to the policy (as named drivers)

I recently halved my policy costs by adding a female friend with 4yrs NCB, Mother and Father both with clean licences and 15+ NCB. They will probably never use the car but the insurer considers my policy lower risk as they are on it.

Elephant are the cheapest for me currently, however their customer service is shocking (15mins + on phone to amend policy)

I used to be with Swift who operate a nearly 100% online service and its excellent, works very well indeed.

I had 2 years with Tesco and had to make 1 claim through them and it was a pretty enjoyable experience, so i would also recommend them.

Well I found out this...

As soon as i was 17 (Provisional Licence) i insured a very rubbish 1000cc Toyota Yaris for £600 as i was a provisional driver. (September Time)

Passed my test in may and had to pay a additional £300 as was on a full licence.

Did my Pass Plus in late July got £55 back.

So Year 1 cost me £845 for a 17 year old male. I thought that was quite good when i was quoted £1495 for a year on a full licence through the same car.

Year two.

I Upgraded to a 1.3 Sazuki Jimny, and with my 1 year no clames bonus and Pass Plus i paid £1015.

I found that livable with.

I Insured through Quinn Direct, who also supplied a policy that allowed me to drive any car that i did not own third party only.

Hope This helps

Beretta

Another thing is if your son will be 18 soon hold off until then.

I know it will be hard for him as he will be itching to get driving but it was certainly worth the wait for me.

I passed my test when i was 19 I turned 20 a month and a half later but my insurance dropped £400 in that time so i just held off.

Its strange the difference a number can have, try quotes for both ages you might get a pleasant surprise.

atb Paul

Can only sympathise. Unfortunately there’s no cheap answer short term but get him his own policy so he starts accruing NCB.

With so many factors taken into account for any quote everyone’s unique, that’s why almost everyone has a different story/recommendation. Follow the basic tips to help reduce the cost, as said; low insurance value car (not always the most obvious), older good experienced named drivers, as low as possible expected mileage, higher excess (although I can’t see the point as you may pay twice - gambling you don’t prang it I guess), off road parking etc.

Experience with our daughter; old, I mean very old Pug 106 1.0 Kid, value about £600, parked off road, 4000K miles per year.

First policy, aged 17 on a provisional, Autotrader Insurance with Sabre as the underwriter £650pa (£300 excess). Passed her test and it went up to £950pa prorata, luckily only had 2 months left on the policy.

Renewal, now 18 and a full licence with 1Y NCD, Autotrader wanted £1250pa, usual searches came up with Swinton, again with Sabre (all search results, no matter which company all had Sabre as the underwriter???) as the cheapest at £850pa.

Just can’t wait for this years...............

Anyway good luck and report back.

Going though this with Little Sweepy at the moment

We paying for his driving lessons

And his got money put away for a car

But when it comes to insurance we are at a lost cheapest we have got is two thousand

And that was on my insurance(no claims)and ive been driving for 20 odd years.

So his going too sit his test then do his bike test which will for him be about £350

More grey hairs for his old mum :o

xxxSuzy

I'd strongly advise against 'Ghosting' (I think that's the term), that being putting a younger driver on your insurance as a named driver, who is in reality the 'Main Driver' in an attempt to save money.

It worked well for a while, but the industry has cottoned on, and has started coming down hard against people who do this by simply refusing claims when ever they feel like it, which then lands the driver in the poo for not having insurance (and at a young age, this will sky rocket premiums, and take a bunch of points away).

It’s called Fronting and it’s strictly illegal. If you do insure your son or daughter on your policy as a named driver when they are actually a main driver and you have cause to claim or another party has cause to claim then look out, particularly if personal accident claim is involved. It could cost you tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds.

It’s a bitter pill to swallow but you should declare your son or daughter as legal owner of the vehicle, proposer, and main driver…..The insurers have an uncanny knack of finding out if something is amiss when claiming.

Your postcode and likelihood of vehicle crime in your area will also be considered as is where the car is kept overnight and the annual mileage you expect the main driver to do.

By all means declare yourself and your wife/husband as named drivers, this will reduce the policy somewhat, as will accepting a larger policy excess.

Most importantly try and instil in your teenager that the first two or three years of having a full licence is paramount and they should try to drive particularly carefully and responsibly and the premiums will come down by accruing no claims discount.

My Daughters first policy in her name with us as named drivers has reduced from £1457 to £604 in two years without claims for her Corsa.

The insurance category of the car and the relevant repair costs of that model are what determines the cost of insurance not the age or engine capacity per say, although generally bigger engines are more powerful and are higher insurance categories.

It’s a ****** and it isn’t fair but sadly young drivers, particularly males are hoist by their own petard when it comes to car insurance.

Sooner or later the one of the insurance companies will realise that the insurance of young drivers is a massive market and will hopefully introduce ways of reducing premiums to attract them. At the moment all it is doing is causing more and more unscrupulous young drivers to drive without insurance which is just compounding the problem.

Good luck.

I bought a GTI 2.0 Golf 52plate last year, rang up NFU, ive been on their policy for two years plus both parents plus all the farm insurance, and they still said they wouldnt insure me till i was 25!!! :o had the nice lady round yesterday to update farm insurance said its gone up to 32 on 'high performance' cars, thats 32 years of age before they even consider it!!

Edit: yeah brokers good but when i rang up a brokers firm they couldnt get anywhere near what Admiral had quoted me

Edited by spiceychilli57