Which Charity? For Pigeon Watch N v S 2011

Teal

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the impossible question to answer as all of the aforementioned do excellent work and personal experience and circumstance will rightly dictate preference for many of us.

I think that the Charity supported should change each year and with that in mind I'd like to see an autism charity supported at some stage :yes:

I'll second Macmillan Nurses,they do a fantastic job with terminal cancer patients and their relatives.

I will support any charity bar the RNLI, they have almost as much money as the church and waste more than the labour party.

Although going by recent experiences with my Mum then any Cancer charity would be an excellent choice

I think that the Charity supported should change each year

I would like to agree that the charity should change each year and that one of the lesser supported/known/wasteful nationals should be chosen. So far Macmillan would get my vote. How about a vote based upon nominations received from this thread by a certain cut-off date?

Another vote for McMillan Nurses, i won't be at the shoot but will glady support this charity!

Having seen ME's suggestion I've changed my mind and go for a male cancer charity.

Edited by philr

what about the RSPCA? or is that taking the mick? what about one for young people with learning disabilities? many in this country are shutting and no care is being given. My partner works for praxis care and many centers are at risk of shutting due to cut backs. everyone gives to places like great ormand they are ok for money, we should think smaller for somewhere realy hard up.

How about something slightly different this year?

Riding for the disabled?

If we raised the sort of money that we did last year it would be enough to buy a steady pony/horse for the charity. I've seen first hand the good that these people do for disabled kids and adults alike.

When money's handed over to the big charity's it's used and gone, whereas with this idea we can see what we've bought, and could get updates on it's progress and use over the years to come, rather than just a letter of thanks. It's something tangible.

We could raise a few more quid having a competition to name the beast, and it could become a sort of PW 'mascot'. :lol:

poontang is spot on. dont give it to the big ones, its just a drop in the ocean, look into smaller ones where it will make a difference. many services are closing for people with learning difficulties.

And with that in mind i would suggest that just one Charity gets the cash, while it has been suggested earlier it would be good to support more than one you get the sense that any split of the proceeds what seem 'watered down'.

And yes, i must admit i like Jerry's suggestion.

Edited by Markio

I would like us to support one of the smaller hospice charities for sick children . Although I was more than pleased to support ormond street , it is known world wide and has a very healthy bank account . I think that any money we can raise this year would do more good to one of the smaller childrens charities .

Harnser .

what about the RSPCA? or is that taking the mick?

That really is taking the mick, have you seen the salary the chief executive's on? It's obscene.

what about one for young people with learning disabilities? many in this country are shutting and no care is being given. My partner works for praxis care and many centers are at risk of shutting due to cut backs. everyone gives to places like great ormand they are ok for money, we should think smaller for somewhere realy hard up.

Agreed.

A lot of people seem to have missed the part in he op.."The only criteria is that I think that it is important that it is a National Charity to reflect the theme of this event, and the fact that Pigeon Watch is well represented accross the UK."Some of the charities mentioned are more local than national.just an observation :good: And some of the national charities would just swallow a donation of any size without making any impact,maybe the criteria should be revised ?

john

Whilst i'm not shooting, can i suggest a smaller national chariity? Most of the big charity players get adopted by large companies as part of corporate governance each year where the minimum expected donation is at £100k and regularly reaches into the millions.

This link provides information on which companies have supported which charities recently. Might be nice to help someone with a lesser profile who is struggling to get donations.

Rgds

AB

http://www.fundraising.co.uk/taxonomy/term/2499