Northern Ireland firearms

scooby -doo

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else still waiting on a variation waiting 6 weeks for mine and it feels a lot longer. I rang the firearms branch to see if there was any word to be told to that it had gone through all the checks and was waiting for a decision by the chief constable and that it would take another 2 weeks as they are short staffed. Still get that title bit of excitement every evening when coming through he door hoping to find a letter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

If you don't mind me asking was it for something straightforward?

Not really. The correspondence from the FEB was very diplomatically worded. It gave me the opinion that they did not wish to grant my variation, but I had valid reasons to possess the firearm for which I had applied. The harassment hasn't ended yet though. The want me to produce the firearm for ballistic testing, even though it's a smoothbore. I'm a little bit perplexed by this request.

Not really. The correspondence from the FEB was very diplomatically worded. It gave me the opinion that they did not wish to grant my variation, but I had valid reasons to possess the firearm for which I had applied. The harassment hasn't ended yet though. The want me to produce the firearm for ballistic testing, even though it's a smoothbore. I'm a little bit perplexed by this request.

That'll be just down to policy no doubt as those who issue the letters know little about guns. Is it cartridge fed or black powder? if it used cartridges then I could understand how a sample of the case could be kept for the firing pin mark and extractor mark (if applicable), but if it's not then testing would be pretty pointless. Sounds like officiousness.

I am assuming then that you had to prove that your club was afffiliated to the relevant organisation that is recognised as running smooth bore competitions.

It's black powder, and the only projectile specified for use is lead ball. I had to provide proof of membership to a historical firearms society, as well as tick boxes for numerous other criteria. Nothing about smoothbore shooting was mentioned :/

It's black powder, and the only projectile specified for use is lead ball. I had to provide proof of membership to a historical firearms society, as well as tick boxes for numerous other criteria. Nothing about smoothbore shooting was mentioned :/

You mentioned it above lol