Northern Ireland firearms

scooby -doo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is the new '1 off 1 on' rule for similar calibres in yet? :hmm: Anyone heard?

Rich

as far as i am led to believe shotgun can be exchanged that day rfd does paper work rifles etc must be of the same calibre eg .22 for .22 you cant change different calibres :good:

rifles etc must be of the same calibre eg .22 for .22 you cant change different calibres :good:

Exactly what I have been told by a couple of RFDs today, variations can be made by RFD on the spot, calibre for calibre. Banded system has not been introduced. So it's a 22lr for a 22lr, 223 for 223 etc.

Just an update - I did a one on one off today between semi auto and bolt.

Cops said calibre and type must be identical.. well my licence shows "calibre .22" and "type rifle" no mention of semi or bolt, happy days! Proud new owner of a CZ 455 thumbhole!

You at Tommy Beatties by any chance? I've heard he's doing this. Sure fire way to get a stop put to the new system.

No I haven't heard of him before?

Anyway, tbh I don't know whether it is wrong or right. The exact wording of the law, is that "both calibre and type must be identical". My FAC shows Calibre as .22, and type as Rifle. So there is no change there? I am sure when the paperwork is sent off it will soon be returned if there is a problem.

No I haven't heard of him before?

Anyway, tbh I don't know whether it is wrong or right. The exact wording of the law, is that "both calibre and type must be identical". My FAC shows Calibre as .22, and type as Rifle. So there is no change there? I am sure when the paperwork is sent off it will soon be returned if there is a problem.

Well, if there is it wont be your fault as it's the RFD that does the paperwork etc.

Personally I don't see the issue anyway as a .22 is a .22, I think tying it all down to the nth degree is to keep FEB happy.

Son's FAC sent off for renewal -acknowledged within a week and new FAC received within two weeks - well done Lisnasharragh!

Understand that PSNI are going to drop requirement for visitors from across the water to have a certificate of approval if they want to bring firearms with them - this will make life much easier. Anyone got any news on this?

Also, if you can get hold of the security form and complete it in advance before going on Stena from Belfast to Cairnryan, the firearms checks are much simpler and faster.

You can also pre-complete the form for P&O Larne to Cairnryan but the security procedures at both ends are still quite slow - by way of consolation, fish & chips in the P&O restaurant is brilliant!

just a wee rant ,, i have a good friend asked me about getting a gun and what did i think about what he should get , i asked him wot he would be using it for he said the odd rabbit and that but it had to be a rifle , i said either a .17 hmr or a .22 lr ! bearing in mind this chap it 30 and has "NO" experience ever of shooting what so ever! i was to take him to my gun dealer tonight to let him have a look around and get him an idea of what he could get ! Was away with the hounds on sat when my phone rang , he had went to another dealer not to far away from my house and bought himself a .223 howa !! the man said dont be silly buying a small rifle go get the big 1 and be done with it !!! does anyone else other than me think this is wrong ??

Will he even be granted a CF from the get go?

I thought you had to have experience with the likes of a rimfire first.

If this is the case then it was poor advice from the dealer. But also if its only for Rabbits then .223 is a bit overkill and expensive to shoot.

I have found there are some dealers about who will tell you what you want according to their stock or to make a few extra quid instead of giving you good advice. e.g. I enquired about a beretta 302/303 and was advised to buy a Hatsan. Ok on paper the hatsan may be better with 3" magnum chamber and steel proof, but it wasn't what i wanted or asked for.

On another note I'm going to put in for a .22lr shortly can anyone reccomend anywhere good to go to for rimfires within an hours drive of Newtownards.

Thanks

Paul

just a wee rant ,, i have a good friend asked me about getting a gun and what did i think about what he should get , i asked him wot he would be using it for he said the odd rabbit and that but it had to be a rifle , i said either a .17 hmr or a .22 lr ! bearing in mind this chap it 30 and has "NO" experience ever of shooting what so ever! i was to take him to my gun dealer tonight to let him have a look around and get him an idea of what he could get ! Was away with the hounds on sat when my phone rang , he had went to another dealer not to far away from my house and bought himself a .223 howa !! the man said dont be silly buying a small rifle go get the big 1 and be done with it !!! does anyone else other than me think this is wrong ??

He wouldnt have got it from the dealer up the Drones by any chance?

Bet any money it's not granted.