Pigeon shooting.....cant quite get the hang of it

game_keeper

HELP is the only word that can describe how i feel. I have been shooting for about half a year now, going about once every two weeks. I soon picked up the sport when it came to clays and was hitting 8 or 9/10 nearly everytime. I then went out pheasant shooting and was pretty good at that. But about four or five weeks ago i was invited out pigeon shooting and was totally useless to say the least. I Just cant quite get the hang of it. We was standing in wood which was surrounded by pigeon s*%t and was roosting there reguarly. The pigeons would come in and i would seem to miss them everytime, shooting way behind. Last week about 80 came about 30 yards swooping infront of me, i fired both barrels and yet still missed. I need some serious help. Anyone got any good advice or tips they found useful. Anything would be apprieciated. Many thanks, Rob

G-K,

If you're averaging 9 ex 10 over Clays, why bother with Woodies, because at that level you'll be giving Faulds & Digweed a run for their money.

Also, if you know you're shooting "way behind" the bird, why not increase the forward allowance for the next bird..??

I would concentrate on keeping your head screwed down onto the stock as you track the bird, keep the swing going, see a bit of lead on close birds and a bit (or a lot) more on birds further away.

Pigeons are not difficult birds to kill, and most competent shots should be able to achieve at least 75% over decoys, obviously lower ratio on flighting birds.

Keep plugging away, and let us know if you find the "magic" cure..!!

Cat.

A thing that my clay shooter friends struggle with, is the multiple target option, frequently offered by pigeons.

You mention 80 birds, 30 yards away, 2 shots and didn't hit anything.

Experience keeps you calm when a group of pigeons approach and makes you select the first and second bird targets, before you raise your gun.

Blind shooting into groups just proves how much fresh air there is around a pigeon and how easy it is to hit that, rather than the bird.

The other suggestions about lead are very relevant.

Don't forget, when birds are dropping down into decoys, they are descending and you should aim below them.

Sounds really obvious, but you might be surprised how many new shooters don't quite appreciate that.

Persevere, you will get there. :blink:

sorry to bring gun fit into this.......

however this relates to Catamongs post, i have found that i cant hit any pigeons UNLESS.... i force my self to keep my head down. the gun i'm shooting is not a great fit for me, which isnt so much of an issue when shooting a well lit clay ground, where the shots are practiced and pre mounted. However when i am in the field and a shot presents its self requireing a quick mount and shoot (but still using maintained lead) i rarely hit it. I have found this to be me not having my head down, and as such missing over (too much rib) the cure to this has been a difficult one.... i just have to force my self to shoot it like i do clays. Not easy, and my ratio on pigeons is still awful! but its getting there.

i am not shooting over decoys, it is roost shooting. We was standing in a wood waiting for them. The problem was it was quite a thick wood so you had to wait just to get a clear shot. Also the shots were rushed which is not the case in clay pigeon shooting. It didnt help aswell that the person i was shooting with was a shooting instructor, althought the only instruction he gave me was "your f*$king shooting behind them" which didnt quite help :<

Thanks for the advice

Best thing to do is try and ignore the thin branches. Just shoot through them.

If you get in the righ position near the right tree and you are lucky they will be roosting in the tree you want and then you can shoot them as they spread their wings and put the breaks on. Decoys in the tree really help for this I think but i've not used any yet which is why you need a bit of luck as to which tree they pick.

Shooting pheasants is easy compared to shooting to shooting pigeons, which can turn on a dime when they see you, and accelerate and decelerate a damn site quicker.

I suffered all of the symptoms when I first started, and almost gave it up altogether, convinced that I was a **** shot and it was all beyond me.

As other messages have said, the gun MUST be a good fit, otherwise if you are persistently reminding yourself to keep your head down it will distract you.

I also started off using too much choke, and learned that it is far better restricting range to 30 metres with an open choke, rather than consistently missing and getting more and more frustrated til you end up wanting to throw the gun at them.

Once I had got the hang of shooting over decoys, I then progressed to roost shooting.

Keep the odds in you favour, and never give the suckers an even break.

Hope this helps - keep at it!!!!

Don

The theme here is you are missing from behind. Your companion told you and several posters have too. Just push the gun in front and keep it moving as you shoot. Once you start hitting them you will wonder what all the fuss was about :blink:

I have had the same trouble but with corvids. I miss them regular but dont have the benefit of a companion to put me straight.

It drives me mad :<

LB

try mounting the gun on the bird and pull through as you fire.try not to track them as you would with clays.when a group arrive pick your bird keep your eyes on it ignore anything that appears closer from the corner of your eye.

dont worry about a second barrel to much,just kill with the first shot and the second will come.

The theme here is you are missing from behind. Your companion told you and several posters have too. Just push the gun in front and keep it moving as you shoot. Once you start hitting them you will wonder what all the fuss was about :sly:

I have had the same trouble but with corvids. I miss them regular but dont have the benefit of a companion to put me straight.

LB

LB if you are are a regular pigeon shooter and missing corvids i reckon you could be over leading the blackies as they fly a good bit slower than pigeons in fact a lot of them nearly stop over the deeks and then sort of flyaway looking over there shoulders maybe you should try and slow your swing down.or maybe i am talking bolloxs but it works for me

plinker

i have been shooting for over 30 years but i still have days when you could not hit a barn door if i was in the doorway :*)

but i aways think of what my grandad told me when i started out :thumbs:

"its only in your kill zone for four seconds" :sly:

"shoot only if you are sure" :blink:

"TAIL,TITS,TEETH,TRIGGER" :blink:

if you start at the back and work forward you swing at the right speed

most of all have fun dont beat yourself up over it as it will come but just think of one thing

its always best to not shoot then to wound :lol:

bill

They are very challenging targets to say the least...this is why so many of us enjoy the sport so much!!

If you know you're shooting behind, and compensate...Time is the teacher, you will over the coming months /years, you will remember the suceesfull shots, and the circumstances surrounding them, which will be imprinted in your mind forever!

Enjoy the sport..dont get fustrated, and eventually you will have to improve.

Rome wasn't built in a day me lad :sly:

thanks for the replys, i went to greenfields today and brought myself a winchester, fairly cheap but atleast it fits me and i can practise with it. The instructor took me out to test it and i shot quite well wit it (7/13 on the first trap then didnt miss any on the next, you ask me old man). Maybe my luck will improve a bit with this. Thanks again, rob

The theme here is you are missing from behind. Your companion told you and several posters have too. Just push the gun in front and keep it moving as you shoot. Once you start hitting them you will wonder what all the fuss was about :)

LB

LB if you are are a regular pigeon shooter and missing corvids i reckon you could be over leading the blackies as they fly a good bit slower than pigeons in fact a lot of them nearly stop over the deeks and then sort of flyaway looking over there shoulders maybe you should try and slow your swing down.or maybe i am talking bolloxs but it works for me

plinker

Your probably right Plinker its just nice to be put right with someone looking down your right shoulder.

Might be up for some of that soon Dunganick as we finish ferreting next week.

LB