What's your favourite Champagne ?

ME

Two pound bottle of cheap white then give it the soda stream treatment.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

If you dont tell any body before you serve it to them they never notice,

You can experiment with different wines till you find one you really like.

You can drink champagne every day if you really want to.

There really is no difference, you must try it.

Hatstand

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to buy the Tescos one and I will agree it is very good for the money, the problem is I only ever knew it by the gold label. Now they have quite a few with a gold label - so I can't be bothered to try them all to find it again.

We went out for a special occasion meal 10 years or so ago, against advice for someone who ate there regularly, went for a glass of the champers as we arrived. It was a '59 Dom Perignon and even through rose tinted specs we all agreed it was the best I had ever had - the bit I do remember clearly is that 4 glasses were £88 :blush:

I am not big on Champagne but I really love the Cheap Martini Asti stuff you can get (not sure if that is even classed as wine) however I used to work as a bar manager and have tried a fair few and in my opinion the less it cost the better it tasted, with Cristal being bottom on taste-o-meter. From what I remember Verve and Bollinger wasn't to bad and I am sure one of them was meant to have a chocolate tinge to it.

But all in all if it has to have bubbles it would have to be the Asti for taste (I may just be more common then I like to admit). Otherwise I will stick to the hard stuff :)

Verve Clicot, Bollinger or Krug,

will also buy Piper Hidseck if on special offer.

A friend of mine gets the option to purchase the M&S own label stuff cheap and its not too bad.

I have a "Saberage" Sword which is frankly the funnest way to open a bottle of shampoo! (any sword will do the job though! )

This certainly is a "top topic".

I worked for Henriot & then Taittinger - both pretty good and the Taittinger Blancs de Blancs & Rose - both vintage champagnes - are superb but then they should be as they are in the same price bracket as Dom Perignon which, along with Krug, is absolutely top drawer.

Of the grands marques, I think that Veuve Clicquot [orange label] NV is the most reliable and Veuve Clicquot vintage [purple label] is a real treat.

We now travel to the Champagne Region by car and buy from a small family owned producer who also has his own vineyards [very important for consistent quality] called Lecomte Pere et Fils at Vinay, near Epernay. Their Brut Reserve is aged for four years in bottle before degorgement and is truly delicious and at around €14.00 per bottle, great value.

Some of the own labels are pretty acidic and nasty - and that includes some of the supermarket offerings - but unlike times gone by when even some of the big names like Moet & Lanson were not exactly great, the grands marques are now all pretty reliable and will not disappoint.

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned prosecco - a delicious sparkler - from Italy. There are some very delicate ones with only about 5% alcohol content which are superb as an aperitif or as a palate cleanser in the middle of a large dinner.

Don't rate the stuff. Over rated pasttime <_<

Same as caviar, and all the other poncey over-priced cack.

Stick a big price label on it and some turkey will buy it because he thinks he's flash :rolleyes:

:lol::lol: Such a poetic turn of phrase :lol::lol:

I'm the same as ME and MM. Gives me bad acid. Can't honestly say I like the taste either :no:

I am not big on Champagne but I really love the Cheap Martini Asti stuff you can get (not sure if that is even classed as wine) however I used to work as a bar manager and have tried a fair few and in my opinion the less it cost the better it tasted, with Cristal being bottom on taste-o-meter. From what I remember Verve and Bollinger wasn't to bad and I am sure one of them was meant to have a chocolate tinge to it.

But all in all if it has to have bubbles it would have to be the Asti for taste (I may just be more common then I like to admit). Otherwise I will stick to the hard stuff :)

Hi All

Along with XD2 you can't beat a nice pint of Asti Spumante but my mrs says i am a heathen who knocks it back like a beer

Geordie

When it comes to champagne you have to ask yourself.......what would Bond order? A bottle of Asti ? unlikely. A 62 Bollinger, now you're talking. Would he be able to tell the difference ? Probably not. Personally I prefer to spend £7 on a bottle of prossecco because 1) i think it tastes nicer and 2) im tight. Decant it into an old Moet Bottle, pretend to open away from prying eyes and amaze youre guests with good taste and none of the heart burn!

A few bottles of Heidsieck Monopole seem to go down well at family get together, and its often found on special at the big supermarkets which is nice.

My personal favorite (from my limited experience) is a toss up between Moet and Tatts, although being a smelly student I don't see much of either now days and tend to make do with Asda Whiskey and Asda ginger consumed from an empty pot noodle tin when I fancy something 'a bit special.'

Thing is with champs I find it far too easy to drink far too much far too quickly.

:good:

I love champagne and would happily drink it on every night out if only I could afford too but alas I can't but was once given a half bottle of LP brute rose from a guy who was leaving in the VIP of a bar my friend works in. My favourite, although it may get me looked down on as a bit of a 'pleb' by some one in the know would have to be verve by a long shot. I prefer it to dom, krug, moet, gossest LP, piper, and pol roger . But I suppose the 'best' buy would be gosset as its the same village soil and grape as Krug but about half the price. A couple of months back I met up with a one of my best friends after not seeing him for a few months both agreed we should get some champaign to celebrate so out came the card and I ordered a bottle of verve in the ****ty vip of a **** club costing me £60 that we were both to far gone to appreciate :oops: :oops: the silver lining was at least i didn't go for the £110 bottle of dom that was catching my eye :lol: :lol: :lol:

George