TROUBLE AT MILL

dicehorn

A client of ours was puffed around the New Year - stopped because one of his two number plate lights was not working - he was just over the legal limit - usual thing loss of driving for a year. However as a result of that a SWAT team arrived a couple of weeks ago and took away his Beretta Urika semi (hardly used) and Beretta 682 Gold E, his young son's Lincoln o/u 410, and finally his wife's Beretta 686S M/C which we put an adjustable stock on not 4 months ago So....... in one swoop he and his family all have to suffer - although having said that I have no real sympathy for him.

He nominated us to collect the guns from the Police station and we collected them last week. He originally asked us to store them, but now wants rid of them - think I would wait 10 years to get mine back!

This thread is really to warn you folks firstly about drinking and driving but also to make sure your vehicles are totally legal - taking guns away seems to becoming the norm.

Peter

UK Gun Repairs

Must be a regional thing or there's more to the story - I know of two people locally who have had driving bans through drink driving and both were told that it would in no way effect their application for or renewal of their SG certificate - and right enough it hasn't and to my mind it shouldn't either.

I have real difficulty with the view that a drink driving ban shouldn't affect your SG cert.

I couldn't justify that view to fellow shooters, let alone the public at large.

I am amazed that two shooters were told it wouldn't affect their licence. I can't believe that the Police in Wales are that stupid.

I have real difficulty with the view that a drink driving ban shouldn't affect your SG cert.

I couldn't justify that view to fellow shooters, let alone the public at large.

I am amazed that two shooters were told it wouldn't affect their licence. I can't believe that the Police in Wales are that stupid.

Well that's how it is - common sense is still alive and kicking in some areas it seems. Where do you think it should end - if a car is a deadly weapon in a drunk drivers hands what about someone who speeds - should he get his SG certificate revoked too? I have real difficulty with the idea that there are people out there, especially in the shooting commuinty, who believe that drink drivers are without question unfit to own a SG - see if you can find any peer reviewed research that shows that drink drivers treat firearms with any less respect or use them any less responsibly than tee toallers - or save yourself the time and don't bother - there isn't any (or wasn't when I had access to Uni Libraries several years ago) I guess that is why the Police can choose not to revoke certificates for totally unrelated offences. Don't get me wrong I have no sympathy at all for drink drivers - I do believe they deserve alot harsher punishments than most seem to receive but I draw the line at linking a motoring offence to someones suitability to own a SG - and thankfully it seems some police forces do too...

I've spent a lot of time chatting with various FEOs and at one time or another this came up. Although not certain I was told that this sort of behaviour can result in a revoke and I have to agree with Gordon - it's the right thing to do IMO.

Perhaps getting caught "just over the limit" is a bit harsh, but then where do you draw that line? When I drive I don't drink and I really don't see how that is so hard to work with. Beer isn't an essential part of a night out and if you're willing to down a couple of pints and think "I should be ok" then perhaps the next day you may see that Fox you've been after for months standing on the skyline and again think "there's fields behind him, it should be ok"........ Just my selfish view but wreckless people shouldn't have guns. It does me and the sport no favours.

I would say the police could look at loosing your licence could end up with the person getting depressed....

its just one of those things if you want to own a gun..you need to apply common sense in everything you do

i have heard of a person having his guns taken when his wife left him...he did get them back ..but still taken for a while

as for the guy in the OP..well he he is stupid enough to Drive whilst ****** then he should have his guns taken away..

Cant see why the guns would need to dissapear from the household a friend of mine lost his licence after being done for GBH on a daft night out,the police took the guns away,a local dealer picked them up and stored them for him until his wifes shotgun application came through four months later.

Was talking to a retired cop about this not so long ago(there's 4 retired and 1 serving in our syndicate)one of whom said that the chief officer under whom he served was of the opinion that to be granted a SGC/FAC an individual is deemed to be a very responsible person,and drink driving is an irresponsible act,ditto for speeding.Apparently he revoked more than a few licenses during his career.

:hmm:

Cant see why the guns would need to dissapear from the household a friend of mine lost his licence after being done for GBH on a daft night out,the police took the guns away,a local dealer picked them up and stored them for him until his wifes shotgun application came through four months later.

If this is true I think it is wrong.

To be convicted of GBH shows a complete lack of suitability to be trusted with firearms as far as I am concerned. I presume he always uses the gun under the supervision of his wife now?

If you look at the conditions regarding the granting of a licence, one refers to the character of people living in the house where the guns will be stored.

Did they not take this into account when his wife "miraculously" developed an interest in shooting after his licence was revoked?

Getting a drink driving ban clearly raises questions about your stability as an individual and your general lifestyle, habits and attitudes.

Statistically, most people who DD are on the slippery slope or they would't be doing it. Not in this this day and age. There is usually something going wrong somewhere. You have to read between the lines.

Can you blame the police for being cautious? Although a swat team was a bit heavy handed

Edited by Vince Green

I have no sympathy for people losing their guns this way. If you are willing to drive whilst ****** my thinking is you are probably willing to shoot whilst ******. Both are dangerous weapons and eventually someones going to end up getting hurt or killed.

Dunno about shooting while ****** but its par for the course on most paid days that the day begin with a shot of port with your peg number in the bottom. So let's not get carried away here.

Drink driving is horrible and the punishments should be worse then they are however I believe there should be a temporary suspension of sgc followed by a review of the offenders suitability to posess a sg ie do they have a drink problem that will cause them to be considered a danger to the public or themselves? I know of a few genuine good lads caught dui (1 the day after a big night out) and was actually quite shocked when I found out as it was so out of character for them. Too easy to blanket ban needs a bit of thought.

Jmo for what its worth.

If this is true I think it is wrong.

To be convicted of GBH shows a complete lack of suitability to be trusted with firearms as far as I am concerned. I presume he always uses the gun under the supervision of his wife now?

If you look at the conditions regarding the granting of a licence, one refers to the character of people living in the house where the guns will be stored.

Did they not take this into account when his wife "miraculously" developed an interest in shooting after his licence was revoked?

Its true allright because I signed the application as a countersignature for her and his wife had been shooting for years but never bothered with a licence until he lost his.The reason he was done for GBH is because two young lads thought it funny to pour a pint of lager down the back of his jeans and after thumping one and removing several teeth he was prosecuted first offence GBH,but his wife had caused no problems she wasnt there so why refuse her,at the interview she was told her husband wasnt allowed access to the cabinet keys same as my wife isnt to mine,but my wife shoots with me every week and they probably knew he would be shooting with her anyway.Another line of thought for you I attended a clay shoot a few weeks ago when a guy walked up to talk to me, he recognised me from banning him from one of the pubs my wife ran he was banned because of drugs found on him, later on he was jailed for burglary aggravated assault etc etc which funded his habit,this guy attends local clubs hires guns and buys cartridges to use,and stood beside me armed on a down the line and being sarcastic and cocky about the time he got slung out of the pub strange this can happen eh,Id still rather be standing next to my GBH convicted mate.

Was talking to a retired cop about this not so long ago(there's 4 retired and 1 serving in our syndicate)one of whom said that the chief officer under whom he served was of the opinion that to be granted a SGC/FAC an individual is deemed to be a very responsible person,and drink driving is an irresponsible act,ditto for speeding.Apparently he revoked more than a few licenses during his career.

:hmm:

Drink driving I will go along with, but speeding is ridiculous. To my mind the offence should not exist anyway - if someone's speed is dangerous, then they are driving dangerously and should be prosecuted as such. If that speed is not dangerous then it is inconsequential and thus not worth prosecuting at all. I do agree with the point that some motoring offences do affect suitability to own a firearm, but speeding is not one of them.

Tbh if a Chief Constable thinks speeding is grounds for a revoke then he's living in cloud cuckoo land. Still, if it's that mad twerp from North Wales then he IS in cloud cuckoo land, so that explains a lot...

in life you pay ya penny ya take ya chance.....he paid his penny and lost after facing the kid and the wife he may just think what is more important in life..... we got married last year had wonderful day in the summer and big party at night and because we were going on a charity run on the harley next day both me and my wife drank water all day.....it is down to what is important to the person i think....but certainly no sympathy with mateys situation

Hi All

So the poor bu**ger has now been punished twice for the same offence goes against my idea of what justice is

Geordie

not really, he got done for an offence that classes you as not responsible enough to have guns, as we go on people won't get away with keeping them or indeed getting them back as I have a feeling that will be Derek birds legacy for the rest of us.

I am with gang that says "revoke" if you have been convicted of drink driving, at the end of the day we all know it's wrong, so if caught you have clearly made the decision to break the law and put others at risk by doing so. No argument in my book.

Had a pal who lost mum and sister to a local drunk who ploughed into there car while skulled. No time for it & punishments are not severe enough in my book and I would hope they would revoke.

Edited by Devon Fox

A client of ours was puffed around the New Year - stopped because one of his two number plate lights was not working - he was just over the legal limit - usual thing loss of driving for a year. However as a result of that a SWAT team arrived a couple of weeks ago and took away his Beretta Urika semi (hardly used) and Beretta 682 Gold E, his young son's Lincoln o/u 410, and finally his wife's Beretta 686S M/C which we put an adjustable stock on not 4 months ago So....... in one swoop he and his family all have to suffer - although having said that I have no real sympathy for him.

He nominated us to collect the guns from the Police station and we collected them last week. He originally asked us to store them, but now wants rid of them - think I would wait 10 years to get mine back!

This thread is really to warn you folks firstly about drinking and driving but also to make sure your vehicles are totally legal - taking guns away seems to becoming the norm.

Peter

UK Gun Repairs

No sympathy for this guy - but part of me feels sorry for his family. Not being mercenary, but if you are selling the guns for him, I may be interested in a couple of them - is the Beretta semi a AL391 Urika with the 3" magnum? If so what is the condition and what sort of price?

shootingcharley

I'm not sure blanket policies are the best approach in any situation really, as with everything there needs to be a common sense assessment made. Is doing 110mph on a busy road safer than being 1 milligram over on a blood test? Some policy would suggest that.

As it stands though, people know the law, and people are aware of the consequences, so why take the risk?

I was convicted of drink driving 25years ago, then it was regarded as a motoring offence and did not affect my FAC.

Now it is a criminal offence and as such has different implications regarding SGCs/FACs.

I think the merits of each case should be looked into rather then a blanket revocation of all licences belonging to convicted drink drivers.

Ian.