Safest way to carry a semi-auto?

FreeZey

Point a barrel up and theres every chance it will end up pointing at someones head

No there isn't, the only place it could shoot is into clear blue sky

If you are 5'8" tall and standing next to someone 6'4" I would suggest there could be something in the way before the clear blue sky!

Edited by bakerboy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main thing is if at a clay shoot , to show everyone that the gun is safe... flag in the breach at the very least and in a slip between stands.... up or down doesen't matter.

In the field i find a sling most usefull, a quick release one that comes off as soon as i'm in the hide... if i'm expecting a shot while walking round, then held with both hands.. barrel up gun across body.

I've watched lots of people using auto's at clay shoots and the vast majority give no cause for concern... in fact the safety ritual most Auto owners go through is alot safer than some of the O/U users practice !

Dave

At a local clayshoot there were two lads with slings on their guns, when they bent down to pick their belongings up, after shooting and with the gun on their shoulder, guess where the muzzle was pointing? :blink:

Slings, in my opinion, should not be used at clay shoots.

Edited by BlaserF3

As the OP is referring to carrying in the field, there is surely only one "Safest way", and that would be with an empty gun, and bolt back. That way, the gun can be seen to be safe, IS safe, and can quickly be loaded if needed. Slung barrel-up (for me), as the muzzle is about 6" above my head.

At the clay ground or during a PSG match I always carry mine muzzle down (you have to with PSG), i'd prefer to shoot myself/someone else in the foot than in the head :oops: I carry mine using the tried and tested 'holding a s h 1 t t y nappy technique' (mental picture :lol: ) by the pistol grip with the open breach pointed outwards so everyone can see its empty, put it in the slip as soon as i've finished shooting.

If in the field i'd be on my own so it would be loaded and held in two hands ready to blat the pigeons!

Mark

Edited by Breastman

i was out with a couple of chaps with autos and they both had theres pointing up on straps , we were on hilly ground and every now and then they would turn and the gun would be pointing at my head so i get ducking and moving around to avoid it. At the end of the shoot we were walking through the farm yard and i was about 2ft from one chap and his auto went off on his back right next to my head . The fear that went through my body was quite unreal all my sensors were feeling for any pain deaf and clammy was an instant reaction , the chap looked round with a mad face as he thought it was me shooting behind him. it was a buckle on his coat that set the trigger off and he swore blind the safty was on . I went home that night feeling very sick.

i was out with a couple of chaps with autos and they both had theres pointing up on straps , we were on hilly ground and every now and then they would turn and the gun would be pointing at my head so i get ducking and moving around to avoid it. At the end of the shoot we were walking through the farm yard and i was about 2ft from one chap and his auto went off on his back right next to my head . The fear that went through my body was quite unreal all my sensors were feeling for any pain deaf and clammy was an instant reaction , the chap looked round with a mad face as he thought it was me shooting behind him. it was a buckle on his coat that set the trigger off and he swore blind the safty was on . I went home that night feeling very sick.

Why was he carring a loaded gun in a group ? and what the hell was he doing bringing a loaded gun back into the farm yard ? ..... nothing to do with an Auto.. more to do with safety (lack of),common sense(lack of ) and just plain old bad practice !

Dave

Why was he carring a loaded gun in a group ? and what the hell was he doing bringing a loaded gun back into the farm yard ? ..... nothing to do with an Auto.. more to do with safety (lack of),common sense(lack of ) and just plain old bad practice !

Dave

i just hope he learned his lesson could of been a lot worse well for me anyway . Its mademe very weary when out with other ppl

At least you went home safe! And I agree with MK38, nothing to do with auto's. It could nave happened with a S/B or an O/U if on a sling over a shoulder. Any gun carried like that is quite likely to have its trigger come into contact with some part of the clothing or equipment a shooter wears/carries and because its behind you there's no way of knowing what's happening as you walk about.

I only shoot a semi now(not that I want to but it's that or not shoot at all[medical reason] and I'm not ready to give up just yet). I have a Saf-T-Plug in it permanently unless I'm in a stand or walking/sitting in fields etc. At least everyone around you can see you are making the effort to be safe and a plug means that, even if there was a cart in the breach, it couldn't come into contact with the firing pin.

Everyone thinks they are safe, that is why they are called accidents!

GH

Thinking about it holding the gun pointing at the floor gives you full control of the trigger, the barrel is pointing at the floor and when manoeuvring the gun you have full control straight away.

Pointing upwards yes it is facing blue skies but more importantly you cannot see it pointing up or back etc. What happens if the sling gets caught on your coat or game bag ? That could easily be pointing at your head and you would never know ! I'm quite y'all and my barrels don't fit far away from my head. Obviously you would never carried a loaded gun ..... But imagine if it did go off , bye bye brain or ta ta toes? I know which one I would want to happen if I had a choice !! Chrispti you make a valid point that I don't feel has been received as well as it should have been. As you know I was always a barrels up man but from now on I'll be pointing my barrels down, if for only the reason that I can see were my muzzle is pointing at all times and if I do go down I can see were my gun will be pointing I'f I do :good:

I would rather an auto was fitted with a safety plug than put in a slip between stands . A loaded gun could quite concievably end up in a sleeve.

personally I think an auto should be carried barrel up with the butt not lower than waist level at a clay shoot and in a barrel aware safe direction in the field.

One Bugbear - people that use a spent cartridge as a safety flag.- seen this at a couple of shoots I would rather see an open breach than that!

Thinking about it holding the gun pointing at the floor gives you full control of the trigger, the barrel is pointing at the floor and when manoeuvring the gun you have full control straight away.

Pointing upwards yes it is facing blue skies but more importantly you cannot see it pointing up or back etc. What happens if the sling gets caught on your coat or game bag ? That could easily be pointing at your head and you would never know ! I'm quite y'all and my barrels don't fit far away from my head. Obviously you would never carried a loaded gun ..... But imagine if it did go off , bye bye brain or ta ta toes? I know which one I would want to happen if I had a choice !! Chrispti you make a valid point that I don't feel has been received as well as it should have been. As you know I was always a barrels up man but from now on I'll be pointing my barrels down, if for only the reason that I can see were my muzzle is pointing at all times and if I do go down I can see were my gun will be pointing I'f I do :good:

As I said mate, its only my personal opinion, and it is safe.

I think we all agree that the best way is sleeved with a safety plug fitted :yes:

The OP should now have a good idea on auto safety and whats to be expected, and thats thanks to everyone's views and inputs.

Hopefully he will read, take note and stay safe :good:

I Saw two people at broomhills the other week walking round with semi's no slip no flag who knows if they were empty couldn't see the chamber. Just buy a flag for £9 everybody happy :good: :good:

Saf-T-Plugs are cheaper and the flag doesn't drop off seeing as it doesn't have one :oops:

£6.50 posted :yes:

GH

Saf-T-Plugs are cheaper and the flag doesn't drop off seeing as it doesn't have one :oops:

£6.50 posted :yes:

GH

+1

With the saf t plug the breech remains open, while the origional saftey flag I had you had to partially close the breach to retain the flag in position, not too good in my opinion.

My god and I didn't think anyone would reply :) to confirm a few things yes I am shooting clays not out in a field.

The summary seems to be "buy a flag/plug" which is something I will check about when I go to pick up my gun.

A slip too.

Thanks for all the advice.