Do you need permission from local police

as i stated earlier - if you live in an area where people (and the police for that matter) are used to field sports, then it's not really an issue.

the problem is that in the South East in particular, we have a very high population of people with no idea about country ways - they all think meat comes shrink wrapped and guns are only used by criminals.

therefore it's far easier just to log in with the police and save tax payers money and the time of both yourself and the police.

I really do seem to be siding with the "naughty boys" these days but there is no way on Gods earth that I intend to notify the police every time I go about my lawful recreation be that cycling, walking, fishing, hunting or shooting.

Seems to me some feel they gain some sort of kudos from being a fac holder and wish to enhance this feeling by telling the police they will be using their guns today.

All they will achieve is getting this nonsense made law.

I'm another naughty boy never call in on our ground, sometimes I'd be calling twice a day and would be ridiculous. Had the police out a few times while shooting once was two plod in a panda car. They seemed to think the shot may have reached the road and their helpful suggestion was perhaps using a smaller caliber would help :rolleyes:

the other there were 40 of us on a hare drive when we had complaints, never seem them despatched well by the head keeper who wasn't that diplomatic as he knew who the complainant was, they had been told in advance we would be about and they rented an estate house. Just told them to stop being silly and go away :lol:

There are places it is a good idea but in general if everyone called in they would need a separate control room

May I make a point here, for those who do advise the police of shooting please note, and INSIST they log the call/site for 3 months (that is the standard length of time a URN/Log/whatever your region calls it, lasts), there is NO need to advise them EVERY time you go, tell them you may be there day or night, on any day over the next 3 months! :good:

It makes life so much easier! :yes:

Please recognise some tongue in cheek.

Many hundreds of shooters are stopped by the police every week. On some occasions an armed response is deemed as appropriate, some are random and normal stops by unarmed bobbies and some have armed officers in support.

Every incident will be dealt with on its merits and you will never get a consensus about how is the most appropriate way of dealing with a percieved threat even amongst officers........

In the main I think you will be surprised about the support you might get from officers.... remember to be nice

I'm another naughty boy never call in on our ground, sometimes I'd be calling twice a day and would be ridiculous. Had the police out a few times while shooting once was two plod in a panda car. They seemed to think the shot may have reached the road and their helpful suggestion was perhaps using a smaller caliber would help :rolleyes:

the other there were 40 of us on a hare drive when we had complaints, never seem them despatched well by the head keeper who wasn't that diplomatic as he knew who the complainant was, they had been told in advance we would be about and they rented an estate house. Just told them to stop being silly and go away :lol:

There are places it is a good idea but in general if everyone called in they would need a separate control room

Me too, I'm out most days, and even when I wlk the dog in the evening on the farm I nearly always take a gun, why not, it makes the dog walk a bit more interesting.

Saying that though, we are in a very small hamlet and the farm surrounds most of the houses so people are used to guns.

May I make a point here, for those who do advise the police of shooting please note, and INSIST they log the call/site for 3 months (that is the standard length of time a URN/Log/whatever your region calls it, lasts), there is NO need to advise them EVERY time you go, tell them you may be there day or night, on any day over the next 3 months! :good:

It makes life so much easier! :yes:

so that means any incident in the next 3 months and you will be automatically assumed to be involved :hmm: whether your there or not, thats worse than not telling them in the first place :blink: whats them things oars go into?

KW

Smaller calibre hey? scary how little they know :no:

I never call in but then I'm in a semi-rural area and generally people know what guns are for. A lot of my shoots are near roads or the railway and only once have I been stopped by a single unarmed officer on foot to see what I was up to. He wandered over and said he'd had a report of someone shooting at trains. As you can imagine that brought on a look of concern from me, at which point he burst out laughing at me and said he was just kidding! *******! :rolleyes:

I've got to say I found it quite ammusing once I'd got over the shock. I've never had an unpleasant experience with the police around here, not just shooting but ever. They seem pretty good actually.

So I guess the answer to the OP is that no, you don't have to seek permission of the police to shoot on farmland. Perhaps if you're on the outskirts of London it may be an idea to give them a ring and ask if they would like you to inform them or not? I'd ring your FEO to ask the question simply because it makes you look good for future applications!

so that means any incident in the next 3 months and you will be automatically assumed to be involved :hmm: whether your there or not, thats worse than not telling them in the first place :blink: whats them things oars go into?

KW

Oh Dear.... You appear to know Nothing of the system.

Let me explain, when you get a URN you give them all your details, so it's very simple, if there are any problems they ring you, and if you are not there you are in the clear, and if there is any doubt they check....now, just how is that a problem?

A lot of complaints are made by a small number of moaners who know that you are legal but just want to cause trouble. So why give them the pleasure? Also, round here some police are rabidly anti gun so again, why give them the joy of talking to you like a piece of ****? Surely a phone call is a small price to pay for an uninterupted night out?

Oh Dear.... You appear to know Nothing of the system.

Let me explain, when you get a URN you give them all your details, so it's very simple, if there are any problems they ring you, and if you are not there you are in the clear, and if there is any doubt they check....now, just how is that a problem?

like I said they automatically assume its you hence they ring? so what if theres an incident on your previously reported patch, your at home in the bath, at work,or stuck down a chilean mine and cant answer the phone, does this mean an armed response at your door to confirm its not you? after all you said 3 months ago it might be! remember? so let me explain if Im in a sensitive area I phone, I tell em when I start and I tell em when Ive finished simples, I dont want the possibility of a spanish inquisition at any time in the next three months, like I said your hair brained example is worse than no call, just as well you removed the advisor bit from your profile eh?

KW

Edited by kdubya

I am very anti this whole concept. No law says I must check in when I shoot - it's a free country and I value freedom.

I will call if I am shooting in a sensitive area, where reports are to be expected. In thames valley it's a waste of time, even with a call they sent the arv out several times, without calling me first. Nobody checked to see if there was a call... On farm fields, i refuse on general principle. Vermin control is a normal, legal activity. i wouldn't tell the police if I'm going for a ****, and that can be a lot more offensive than shooting. No way am I giving more info than I have to!

Hi pigeon hunter

as for your shotgun or air rifle , then no there is no need

as if you own a open FAC there is no need

if your FAC is closed, then you will need to get the police to inspect the ground to add it to your permission

as for calling the police every time you shoot or even once a month or quaterly, thats up to you,

personaly, I don't need to as my area i well used to bangs going off, this could be shotguns rifles or even bird scarers

My Farmers have also told the locals that I shoot the land, which has resulted in a few friendly waves as I drive past..one being from a JP :D

If you feel that your shooting ground could cause someone to phone in (ie..your shooting near a housing estate)then give your FEO a call and see what they recommend

happy shooting mate

jasp

like I said they automatically assume its you hence they ring? so what if theres an incident on your previously reported patch, your at home in the bath, at work,or stuck down a chilean mine and cant answer the phone, does this mean an armed response at your door to confirm its not you? after all you said 3 months ago it might be! remember? so let me explain if Im in a sensitive area I phone, I tell em when I start and I tell em when Ive finished simples, I dont want the possibility of a spanish inquisition at any time in the next three months, like I said your hair brained example is worse than no call, just as well you removed the advisor bit from your profile eh?

KW

If you or anyone wants to phone and tell them every time you wipe your **** then fine, for those who are realists then a 3 month period can be useful.

Do you live in Tombstone, your police need to get hold of some issues if you think you are going to get a Spanish Inquisition.

If you or anyone wants to phone and tell them every time you wipe your **** then fine, for those who are realists then a 3 month period can be useful.

Do you live in Tombstone, your police need to get hold of some issues if you think you are going to get a Spanish Inquisition.

I dont tell them every time :sly: , just the one place that HAS brought me a helicopter, two armed response, and a beat bobby, please read my first post on the subject but then again facts have never been your strong point have they? :no:

KW

I've never rung in and have no need to.The fields at night round here are often alive with lampers and i've never heard of anyone ever having a Police presence.I know of someone who actually phoned the Police to report muffled gunshot on the rape fields behind his house at night and they never pursued this (i shoot on this farm also and it were the farmers 2 sons doing the shooting).While pigeon shooting i've had the force chopper fly numerous times overhead at low level so would have seen me quite easily,but never ever had any comeback.

Obviously Cambs Police excercise common sense. :good:

Edited by Imperfection

I never call in but then I'm in a semi-rural area and generally people know what guns are for.

So I guess the answer to the OP is that no, you don't have to seek permission of the police to shoot on farmland. Perhaps if you're on the outskirts of London it may be an idea to give them a ring and ask if they would like you to inform them or not? I'd ring your FEO to ask the question simply because it makes you look good for future applications!

I think sound advice- speak to your FEO regarding your permissions and guage his response in making your decision to call or not to call.

I never call in but then I'm in a semi-rural area and generally people know what guns are for.

I think sound advice- speak to your FEO regarding your permissions and guage his response in making your decision to call or not to call.

To the original OP's singular question..........no, it is not neccessary, but, as always seems, another sort of a north/south divide on regions, so just ring em up once and ask, "Do you want me to ring everytime i'm out(Tell em it could be 6 days a week :rolleyes: )" I think I know what the answer will be :lol:

To us lads up't north, they seem to be a lot more relaxed, BUT, the main thing , is inter-county thefts, so can be stopped any anytime on the road.

One thing I did, years ago, was join Countryside Watch(Groups all over the country) where, if you want, can even get to liason with the police on poaching patrols and many other things, AND you get better known to them :good:

Personally, I have only ever once phoned in, to go on a lamping session, and that was the night after Cumbria, just to double cover my derriere :D