When enough is enough?

garjo

Okay had bad day today - awful! Last week was ok. Been shooting about a year now - scores not really improving - at what point do you say this is it - enough is enough? Dont get me wrong I know this is a difficult and at times frustrating sport. Blokes I go with have been shooting 20-30 years and I fully apprecaite their skills - they make it look easy (I know its not). Its just that you would at least like to be half decent. It gets you thinking that perhaps this was not for you. Heard a lot aboit people who give up after a year or so - really dont want to and will stick with it but it does make you thing as to whether you have to have natural aptitude for shooting!

Maybe go and have a lesson and see if all is well or if bad habits have started to take hold? I'm using one shoot I go to regularly to sort of keep track of how well I'm shooting/improving but will try and go to as many other shoots as I can to try new things, see different targets and keep things interesting.

Same as anything I spose. I got stuck in a rut with golf and wasn't going where I wanted to. My coach (uncle) said I'd have to put more and more hours practice and play in if I wanted to step up to the next level. My heart wasn't in it and I packed it in.

If you're happy with your gun fit, you'll need to practice.

The thing is you can't practice if you're shooting competitions.

What you need to do is go to a ground where you can practice on the types of targets you struggle with. Either book in with an instructor or go with a friend who knows what they're doing.

I had a **** day today scoring 27/100 but I know I can do better and although I cleared one stand today 8/8 , I know i can do better but I'm shooting with 'veterens' of 20+years who DO give me help/advice but sometimes, you just need to try your own thing.

Okay had bad day today - awful! Last week was ok. Been shooting about a year now - scores not really improving - at what point do you say this is it - enough is enough? Dont get me wrong I know this is a difficult and at times frustrating sport. Blokes I go with have been shooting 20-30 years and I fully apprecaite their skills - they make it look easy (I know its not). Its just that you would at least like to be half decent. It gets you thinking that perhaps this was not for you. Heard a lot aboit people who give up after a year or so - really dont want to and will stick with it but it does make you thing as to whether you have to have natural aptitude for shooting!

Gary, if you want to come out with me for the morning on April 17th you are more than welcome, meet me at my house and I will drive,no problem.

If I say so myself, I am a better Coach (not qualified) than I am a shot, and I am happy to say you will go home smiling.

Terry

Edited by bakerboy

i think the question to ask yourself is "why do you go shooting" the same with most hobbies/sports if you want to win trophies and are still pretty rubbish after a year then yes knock it on the head, however if you shoot because you enjoy it then it doesn't really matter how good/bad you shoot - everyone will have good and bad days and equally if you were dusting every bird you see, how boring would that be???

i think the question to ask yourself is "why do you go shooting" the same with most hobbies/sports if you want to win trophies and are still pretty rubbish after a year then yes knock it on the head, however if you shoot because you enjoy it then it doesn't really matter how good/bad you shoot - everyone will have good and bad days and equally if you were dusting every bird you see, how boring would that be???

don't get bogged down in blaming the gun, at the end of the day it is two tubes either on top of each other or side by side, the differences in a gun are more fine tuning a current skill level than making a bad shot good. Lessons are good but never blame the gun

how many sports can you get really good at after only one year :hmm::hmm: none :good:

what a load of rubbish, hes barely begun!

as for blaming the gun, it could well be the gun :yes:

talk about putting someone off, give him some good advice or encouragement :yes::yes:

Having only been shooting for three years myself - and having only taken it up aged 50 I can understand your frustration (a bit too well if I'm honest!). As others have already said - a year is way to short and it's something that needs a lot of practice to even get half good at. I'm sure you stand there as I have (and still do sometimes) and watch someone dust the targets in a unhurried and relaxed way making it look really simple amd then it's your turn and you miss most of the wretched things

There are many skills to learn and in all reality you have really only started the process.

One of the fokelore definitions of madness is to 'keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result', and I have found this to be true in shooting and it's why you need a good coach. With so many variables at play including gun fit, gun mount, stance, posture, visual pick-up of the target etc I found I needed more than 'over the top' or 'missed behind' it is really important to have quality coaching, guidance and encouragement.

If you are really serious about consistently improving, and you can afford it too, try having a half hour lesson before you go and shoot a round - just gets you mentally sharpened up and re-focussed. A key element of the learning process is understanding why you miss - and importantly what to do to correct it.

Some 2 years ago - so one year down the road like yourself now I received some sound advice (obvious maybe), in that to get better consistently you need good coaching and you need to shoot a lot - muscles & brain have to learn how to work so well together that you don't actually think about the moment you pull that trigger - the subconscious says 'now!' and everying is where it should be. To achieve this means that 60-100 carts a week is barely enough and ideally you need to be edging towards double that.

Around the 15 month (2009) mark for me I had a day with Carl Bloxham on a one-to-one basis and that experience caused a step-change in my scores of about 15%. I did it again last year with a further improvement and I've booked a day in June this year now. Am I badly addicted to this sport? Oh yes, you bet :rolleyes:

So - get the coaching and don't give up.

If you're still enjoying it and looking foreward to every weekend when you can get out for a shot,don't think like this.Be patient and you will get better,it just takes a bit of time :yes: .

I had a few shots at a friends house of a old pedal trap,and "thought this is easy".So the following weekend we went to a 'Proper Clay Ground' for 50 sporting accompanied by a 'Trapper' :good: Anyway to cut a story short I struggled to hit 6 out of the 50 targets thrown and the 'Trapper' just about threw me off the ground and suggested I take up a different sport :o :lol::lol:

I plucked up the courage to return the following week,the 'Trapper' then knew I was keen and taught me a hell of a lot over the next couple of years :yes::good:

You can also learn a lot by watching the good shots,how they conduct themselves,address different targets etc.

I hope that's helped in some way.

Azzurri.

how many sports can you get really good at after only one year :hmm::hmm: none :good:

what a load of rubbish, hes barely begun!

as for blaming the gun, it could well be the gun :yes:

talk about putting someone off, give him some good advice or encouragement :yes::yes:

I think either you missed my point or i put my point across badly, either way I will keep it simple

unless you are trying to be a crack shot, don't take it to seriously and enjoy enjoy the experience.

and how many "smilies" does one post need!

You cannot blame the gun if you have been only shooting for a year.....

I think either you missed my point or i put my point across badly, either way I will keep it simple

unless you are trying to be a crack shot, don't take it to seriously and enjoy enjoy the experience.

and how many "smilies" does one post need!

You cannot blame the gun if you have been only shooting for a year.....

Of course you can, if it doesn't fit. You can blame the gun after an hour if it doesn't fit you properly.

Get a 2 x hour lesson with an accredited coach, some one that lots of people recommend.

So many people waste so much time and money on just blasting away at targets they don`t understand how to read or approach and then just give up.

I`v given many people a lesson that use to shoot 20 or so years ago and gave up only to have another go now because a mate is doing it but now they are shooting well because they did`t know an awful lot of stuff the first time around.

I wish I`d had a few lessons 35 years ago, I`d of saved thousands of £££££s and been a better shot right away as well as buying a lot less guns because I didn`t understand proper gun fit. There is so much that shooters don`t understand/realise/know and until they do, they are on the road to nowhere really. :/

GARJO,

I have been in your position and still am to a certain extent.

I was missing easy shots and sitters at all ranges. went along to a club and had a lesson. first thing the coach said was the length of pull was a little long and the Drop was wrong for my size. So out came the hack saw and socket set.

It was amazing how much difference 1 1/4 inches can make.

I`m not suggesting cuting your stock down but it may well be gun fit. at least eliminate it out the equation.

it could be a number of factors causing you to miss. FIT,LEAD,SHOOTING STANCE, FOLLOW THROUGH, FLINCHING. ECT

Start eliminating each factor one by one and you should with luck start to see an improvement.

Good luck

Spike

Ive been shooting 2yrs now and yes i like to do better as we all do, but i found a guy now a good friend that used to shoot for some 20 yrs and he is better than me as you would expect.

He gives me a handicap a bit like golf so when shooting it becomes very balanced and makes it edgy as i some time draw or win a round of 50 birds if that happens then my handi cap drops. We have a blokes brake once a week away from all the normal stuff and if any one is on there own they join us.

Its Just a Great pass time as you cant afford just blasting away in the 100s.

Just enjoy a little improvement as it comes :rolleyes::good:

OK - I've shot for 50+ years - and I swapped my shotguns after 20+ years , a couple of years ago -- and was all over the place -- I'm a very average shot -- but -- I went to someone who looked over me shoulder --

We started at about 1 hit in 5 ... and two hours (100 shells) later .. 2 hits in 5 -- OK > that's 100% improvement, with a little way to go - on average -- but Beretta held his cool . . . solved the "gun fit" problem - size really does matter - gave me my confidence back - and I do hit the odd bird ..

So - however long you have been at it - IMHO - free or paid - a good coach's advice will always be rewarded with more personal pleasure .. go for it .. book a couple of coaching sessions .. put 5000 ounces of lead through your barrels .. and you will beat Beretta at his own game .................. maybe :P egh Coach ? :good:

Hi you need to have lessons with a good coach, there are hundreds out there who can stand by you and say bit high,bit low not enough lead etc, I am having a few lessons with a guy called Dennis Stepney at UK Gun Repairs Near Wellington, Taunton, didn;t fire a shot until he was happy with my stance ,pick up, and loads of other adjustments,Dennises attention to detail is spot on, I had a problem with my hip last week he soon spotted it and called an end to the lesson, I,m hitting targets I would have only dreamt about six months ago. if you live in his area give him a try. I had already had three lessons with others of the bit high brigade I think they are corporate teachers working a production line get you in fire 50 clays get your money ,move on. please don't give up I did that forty five years ago and just started again i,m 69. I think shooting is very similar to golf just when you think youve cracked it comes back and bites you in the backside.

• 1 month later...

My father inlaw and I started shooting a little over 18 months ago. Hes 60 and am 39. We have a weekly habit of 2 rounds of 50 sporting just about every saturday. First 6 months neither of us could get over 20/50.

He has taken longer than me to pick up but hit his first 40/50 last saturday and have to say I was well chuffed for him. He does suffer massively from inconsistency although this is not as bad now as it used to be. Interestingly he has stuck with the same 30" Browning Cynergy for well over a year and steps up to the stand fairly undisciplined and shoots with the gun pre mounted and an easy hit sight.

I on the other hand have tried every gun I can get my maulers on. 391 Ulrika, Cynergy, Supersport, SV10, Vinci, 682. I watch the good shooters to see what they do, in shoulder out shoulder, feet position, clothing everything. I now average Mid 30's in winter and early 40's in the summer and I understand why (clothes). I have never had a gun fit but I do recognise the basics of gun fit and I use the basic law of inside elbow to trigger measurement which puts me somewhere near.

On my journey to improving my hits I have done the following.

Changed guns

Sorted my shooting position (Feet & Body) Youtube is a mine of information

Kept my elbows up for improved swing

Shoot out of the shoulder (Started in shoulder)

Understood my eye dominance and although heavily left eye dominant still shoot off my right shoulder

Shoot with both eyes open

Tried an easy hit but found I spent too much time aiming so removed it

Wear the same clothing to maintain the same gun fit

Just started shooting in a league (Bit of competition)

I think for me the key was little adjustments when I felt I had plateau'd out. I didn't change all these at once I tried each bit for a couple of weekends and saw progressive improvement right the way through. Every shooter is different and every shooter has advice to give which is great to aid you but its like anything else if you want to get better at something you have to try different things and more of it. The more you understand about what you are doing the more you can do to improve it.

In any game where there is a maximum score the competitor always strive to hit that but few put the effort required in to get to it. Practice practice practice and if its a bird you don't like practice it until it becomes a bird you do like. My personal record 8 months into shooting was 32 cartridges on a right to left crosser till I hit it. I was ready to fix a bayonet at one point and try that.

Good luck and keep smiling and above all remember its fun

A very interesting post and some very interesting replies. From my perspective there are many things at play here. One year is not a long time at all. Certainly when someone is learning to shoot, or any sport/skill, there is a stage where everything you do to learn has to be done consciously, so you have to think through each part. The more times you do something then the more the skill is transferred to your subconscious and long term memory. If you remember learning to drive, it was a skill learning to change gear with the foot on the clutch let alone mirrors and brakes. But from that point you do everything subconsciously.

If you look at shooting in a more simplistic way, as if you were learning to drive. Get to a coach for the basics on shooting going away targets, crossing targets, driven targets - maybe start on the skeet range - but get to a coach. Then start to learn and develop the skills, use mental skills such as visualisation and also writing down certain key points for certain targets this will help you improve.

The sport is a great sport and it does take time, but most of all take the time you need, find a discipline that you start to hit a few more targets and improve on. As it is free, then I will plug the Shooting Success Handbook I produce that gives you some great mental tips to improve.

Hope you take some of the productive advice from others on this thread and go out and enjoy this great sport - you don`t need to be a Richard Faulds or George Digweed, be yourself and find a good starting point in terms of targets.