why do you reload

44 members have voted

1. 1. why do your reload (centre fire)

• for accuracy
    • to save money
    • to pass the time
    • because I plink a lot
    • all of the above

Here is another for you to think about. Gamekeeper, low wages and ammo bought for him invests his money in all the kit to reload and has the estate pay for the consumables, why ? because he saw how accurate it was and once you take out the many variables, you will take out the doubt.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One hole groups are nothing . I can shoot half hole groups at 600 yards because I am the Norfolk rural sniper and I know all there is about balistics . I can do it free hand with a roe in a sack over my shoulder and dragging a nice red stag with a rope around my waist . Yes , commanly known locally as the rural sniper .

Harnser .

Why thank you for asking Stuart, I recall that it was the highest score put in for that day.

I believe I also tied with Beardo for the highest score on the stalker test either 98 or 99; I was of course smoking at that time and out of puff :lol: Obviously, with reloading I would have had the accuracy for 100/100 or more like 110/100 :lol:

And any excuse to get this bucket list picture moment up again - 1 shot running left to right free hand and factory ammo. Miffy can confirm that I was out of puff (and collapsed on the peg). I wasn't smoking at the time but remember that I had left my ear defenders in the wagon and so wedged cigarette butts into my ears :lol:

DSCF1077.jpg

I really must get out from behind this keyboard a bit more.

Why thank you for asking Stuart, I recall that it was the highest score put in for that day.

I believe I also tied with Beardo for the highest score on the stalker test either 98 or 99; I was of course smoking at that time and out of puff :lol: Obviously, with reloading I would have had the accuracy for 100/100 or more like 110/100 :lol:

And any excuse to get this bucket list picture moment up again - 1 shot running left to right free hand and factory ammo. Miffy can confirm that I was out of puff (and collapsed on the peg). I wasn't smoking at the time but remember that I had left my ear defenders in the wagon and so wedged cigarette butts into my ears :lol:

DSCF1077.jpg

That one big fat ugly pig,the boar on the floor looks a nice example :lol::lol::lol::lol::P

its no good trying to hide behind that twig in your hand,we can see youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

you will never make the hide and seek champion

Edited by Ackley

I believe I also tied with Beardo for the highest score on the stalker test either 98 or 99; .

Errm 98 actually, the high score that day was shot by me with a 99 (that wasn't the point of the question BTW) but topically that was using my £200 rifle with £8/box factory ammo

I reload because I got fed up with the poor supply network of Centrefire ammo in this country.

All the local RFD's seem to have Norma one week, Federal / A.Nother the next - meaning expensive re zero, testing, crying etc

Accurate shooting comes from consistency, and consistency comes from rolling your own.

I'd have to shoot a LOT of ammo to make even on my reloading gear, but as already said it's a hobby in it's own.

Edited by garyb

Errm 98 actually, the high score that day was shot by me with a 99 (that wasn't the point of the question BTW) but topically that was using my £200 rifle with £8/box factory ammo

I do remember now - did you frame your print out?

Obviously, if you were reloading we would be congratulating you on a 110/100 :lol:

I must say I'm not a trophy hunter by nature but everytime I look at that piggy photo a take a big deep breath and wish I was back there doing it again. I think I would happily shoot an albino panda if the shot and photo was guaranteed to be as good.

I do remember now - did you frame your print out?

No but I scan them as reference as they disappear into the paper after a couple on months then no one believes you.

I might frame my factory ammo 100/100 one though and hang it up with my other trophies :smartass:

That's a nice Pig Mung. Is that where you're supposed to place the shot on them or was it a bit far back? Not asking to be awkward, I've just never shot one (my non essex paypacket doesn't cover that sort of fun). It obviously fell over so can't have been far off the mark.

I guess of you can get tenner boxes of factory to work in your rifles then great. My 6.5 didn't like it much so I reloaded. Since I have the kit I've reloaded for everything I've bought since.

To answer why I reload - given anyone else is interested - is because I bought my .223 off a competition/long distance fox shooter who gave me every bit of reloading kit with the rifle, scope, mod and spare ammo - he was giving up.

Having got it, I had to learn to reload correctly.

As well as benefitting from the accuracy (which I feel is quite a lot better), I enjoy producing the best possible round, now i've ironed out all the idiosyncracies.

Even the micrometer that came with the kit had an ogive attachment to ensure the bullet was loaded veryyyy close to the rifling.

His recipes are flawless for my (formerly his) 700.

Also chaps, whilst I have bought some factory ammo, the guy who sold me his gun gave me 700 small rifle primers, 90 bullet heads and most of 1kg of Vit 133 and a full kg of Vit 130 (he shot 40 grain and 50 grain, v max and Speer).

My early reloading was therefore as cheap as can be !

If I give up (not likely yet) - I'll pass the kit on too, as it has been a real pleasure.

When i got my first centrefire (.222) i bought a few different brands,some were good a few were awful,i had a look at reloading on a couple of forums and most said the same thing - accuracy.....so i bought a lee kit from Kranks,it has'nt turned into a hobby itself,but i have managed make ammo that shoots one hole groups every time,provided i do my part.

Its not about money saving its about having confidence in what youre using,after all many of us spend £100's more on a scope or whatever to gain a small advantage,so making up a batch of 40g Blitzkings that do it every shot gives me ammo confidence.

Its just i never found a factory load that gave me that (not much choice in .222 i know,and no 40g available - flat and fast)

DSCF1077.jpg

Yeah, but that wasn't the one you were aiming at!

do it because I enjoy a few days at the range and I am waaay too tight to fork out £28.50 for 20 270 rounds.

that and I like most men enjoy playing with new toys!

if I gain some consistency then that is a bonus as far as I am concerned

My reloading gear -

B&Q Tool box - £12

G-clamp - £6

Hand drill - £9.99

Brass rollover tool - £6

Scales - £22

Components for charging cartridges - Primers, powder, Wadding/card and shot

I only really hand reload because I use brass 12g shotgun cartridges and I generally only make a batch of fifty five 32g 5,6,7's at any one time for clay or game.

I really enjoy using brass as the hulls will last you if you look after them and they pattern very well. I came third at a 50 target clay comp with them the other day, although my sxs is light and their a bit punchy.

The only other cartridges I make are 42g BB loads and SG loads, but I would only ever make five to ten of these at any given time.

When shooting in volumes I will use various forms of factory ammo and buy in bulk as it performs well and there are other things I want to be doing with the little free time I have these days.

I reload because I enjoy learning new skills. I think everybody gets a sense of satisfaction out producing their own ammo and getting good results with it. I guess it’s just another level of the hobby.

I reload because i listened to NJC110381, only joking, he has been a great help to myself and others in the reloading.

I started to reload because, as someone already mentioned, I was struggling to get consistency on ammo, every time i went in to buy one type i came out with a differant one. always bought my max allowance but then i found, to my own cost, that not all barrels like factory ammo and i was stuck with ****.

I will try and get a few photos of how i reload and how the rounds group as people seam to disbelieve the results that can be had for relatively small outlay. either that or they are gutted that they have been had by the SALESMAN in the shop that told them that they NEED the latest kit to get tighter groups. salesman and/or advertising campaign do the desired job me thinks

saving money was another plus for me and yes i should be saving money but i think its a false economy as i just go out shooting more rounds, i find it almost as cheap to shoot 222 at rabbits as it is to shoot hmr. i am about to change from one type over to V-max and that in its self will save 6p a click, if it shoots as well as that is.

I had a primer pop on me last week for the very first time, i was just thinking at the time that it hadn't happened yet, talk about talking it up. it was a small rifle primer and in truth i didnt really know it had happened until i smelt it.