Best soldiers

oneshotkiller

I stand by my Gurkhas statement as a fighting soldier,but the most Victoria crosses are held by the Medical Corps, they even have people who were awarded a bar on their VC ( two vc's), it takes a lot of guts to go into battle to tend wounded, they have my utmost respect.

any one who goes to battle gets respect( worn the tea shirt)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, any EOD operators get my vote...brave brave *******...and the guys on WIS, our lads have had some close calls recently and always go back :good:

I cant believe no one has mentioned the RAF Regiment... :lol: oh hang on...best soldiers rather than wannabe pongos :D

Oh and I couldn't help but laugh when the Monkey post came up :good:

If we are talking regiments, I could raise you a Corp,

Everyone knows the best Are Her Majesty's Corps of the Royal Engineers, you will have people from lesser corps like The Royal Artillary try to tell you they are best, but deep down everyone wants to be a mighty SAPPER.

Sits back and waits for the lesser corps to agree :lol:

Couldn't agree more.

Cowardly gunners who ran away from the nasty guns that made too much noise. It was a good job there were some Sappers about to take over!

REgards,

The infantry do their job very well, but so do the soldiers in the Corps. I dont think it is fair to say they are poorer quality just because they are not doing a particular job. Like Chris said earlier, it is all a big machine that would grind to a halt without its constituent parts.

And that sums it up :rolleyes: :rolleyes: everyone is needed,and play there part :good:

Dont forget chaps loyalty to your Regiment,Corps is one thing :good: But there aint no "I" in TEAM and thats all the Armed forces are,one big TEAM :yes: :yes: With the exception of the RMP :lol:

1951 Army Cadets - REME - started it all off for me.

Then:

1954 Army Apprentices - Harrogate

Then:

Royal Signals

Then:

Army Air Corps pilot to 1966.

Which got me into the airlines after demob.

Wouldn't change much if I had my time again except that I would stay in army for longer.

(Sec Mod school only - but if you can prove to the army that you can do it - then they train you and let you do it).

Wouldn't have done much without the army.

Sons and grandsons all in RAF so far.

I hear what everyone is saying, but:

They get cut to ribbons, so burnt that they have to be covered in grease, dropped in it, chewed up, spat out and often ground into the floor.

Who else could continually tolerate this and still be immaculate on parade every single morning ready and willing to do their duty - England expects... and all that!

Come on, let's hear it for the Eggy Soldiers!

Edited by wymberley

Couldn't agree more.

Cowardly gunners who ran away from the nasty guns that made too much noise. It was a good job there were some Sappers about to take over!

REgards,

Sorry old chap but I have to post this, just to clear up the absolute rollocks that you RE muppets spout: :lol:

ORIGINS OF THE LANYARD & THE CLASSIC SAPPER LEG-PULL

There has long been a tale-usually told by Sappers-about the Gunners wearing a white lanyard for cowardice, allegedly for deserting their guns. Of course, the story is nothing more than a piece of leg pulling. The tradition of winding up stems from the age-old rivalry between the two sister corps founded under the Board of Ordnance and trained together in Woolwich.

Lanyards associated with dress came into use in the late 19th Century, when field guns, such as the 12 and 15 pounders, used ammunition which had fuzes set with a fuze key. The key was a simple device, and every man had one, attached to a lanyard worn around the neck. The key itself was kept in the breast pocket until needed. The lanyard was a simple piece of strong cord, but it was gradually turned into something a bit more decorative, smartened up with blanco and braided, taking its present form.

Prior to the South African War, Gunners were issued with steel folding hoof picks, carried on the saddle or in the knife. In about 1903 these were withdrawn and replaced with jack knives, which were carried in the left breast pocket of the Service Dress attached to a lanyard over the left shoulder.

In the war years that followed, the lanyard could be used as an emergency firing lanyard for those guns which had a trigger firing mechanism, allowing the gunner to stand clear of the guns recoil.

The question of which shoulder bore the lanyard depends on the date. There is no certainty about this, but the change from the left shoulder to the right probably took place at about the time of the Great War, when a bandolier was introduced, because it was worn over the left shoulder. But there are some who insist that 1924 was the date of change, when sloping of rifles over the left shoulder would soil the white lanyard.

Eventually in 1933, the end of the lanyard was simply tucked into the breast pocket without the jack-knife, though many will remember that it was often kept in place with the soldiers pay book! On the demise of Battle Dress, the lanyard disappeared for a short time, but returned as part of the dress of the Royal Regiment of Artillery in 1973.

It may surprise many readers that this particular piece if leg-pulling is repeated in various forms. The gold stripe in the Gunner stable belt stems from the colours of the uniform at the time the stable belt was introduced. It was not a question, as the jokers would have it, of yellow stripes for cowardice!

Equally ludicrous is the suggestion that the Gunners has seven flames, as opposed to the sappers nine, because we lost two guns at some point in history!

I invite you sappers to produce your evidence. No change to any of the Armys dress regulations can take place without a formal order, and-let us be realistic! it is ridiculous to suppose that the Army Board in its wisdom would countenance the idea of a badge of shame to be worn by any branch of the Service.

It would guarantee that no one would ever join it! And since no such evidence exists, your storys falls flat on their face. One might even ask why other arms and corps wear lanyards?

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!!

So there you go, find your proof and i will retract my statement :D

Blimey Dave, I didn't realise people took such ribbing seriously.

Mind you that was a good bit of history worth reading.

What is the story of the RAOC badge with the cannon balls being twice/three times the size of the cannon that must have some real history too rather than put there to remind them to make sure the correct ammo went to the correct unit :rolleyes:

Then there's the ball and chain on the REME badge so called put there to remind them to finish the job before pushing off !! and the list goes on !!

Edited by EMcC

Blimey Dave, I didn't realise people took such ribbing seriously.

Mind you that was a good bit of history worth reading.

What is the story of the RAOC badge with the cannon balls being twice/three times the size of the cannon that must have some real history too rather than put there to remind them to make sure the correct ammo went to the correct unit :rolleyes:

Then there's the ball and chain on the REME badge so called put there to remind them to finish the job before pushing off !! and the list goes on !!

Lol, were a touchy lot us gunners :good:

No one mentioned the Territorials yet? I've heard they are legendary in battle :yp:

Had some STABS attached to us in Iraq, the little ****ers refused to leave camp :blink: So straight away we were down on a team :sly: , extra work for the rest of us. . . . . cheers :rolleyes:

Legendary biff chit waiving, war dodging hats :yes:

Edited by chrispti

Had some STABS attached to us in Iraq, the little ****ers refused to leave camp :blink: So straight away we were down on a team :sly: , extra work for the rest of us. . . . . cheers :rolleyes:

Legendary biff chit waiving, war dodging hats :yes:

Refused to leave camp?? what happened to them?

Ive never had a problem with the TA, i dont agree with the guys who join and dont deploy at some point but all in all ive found them to be a good bunch, especially the HAC, proper warrior gentlemen!

Sorry old chap but I have to post this, just to clear up the absolute rollocks that you RE muppets spout: :lol:

ORIGINS OF THE LANYARD & THE CLASSIC SAPPER LEG-PULL

And since no such evidence exists, your storys falls flat on their face. One might even ask why other arms and corps wear lanyards?

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!!

So there you go, find your proof and i will retract my statement :D

Here is a link to the "truth" :rolleyes:

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=50604823489

Refused to leave camp?? what happened to them?

Ive never had a problem with the TA, i dont agree with the guys who join and dont deploy at some point but all in all ive found them to be a good bunch, especially the HAC, proper warrior gentlemen!

I dont have a problem with them really, just the mongs we had attached.

They ended up stagging on, cleaning the ****ters , general crappy camp duties really.

Well, that was until half of them managed to get sent back to the UK for various reasons or excuses :rolleyes: strangely, all after the 28 day's needed to qualify for a gong :rolleyes:

Ah, the HAC... Monsters the lot of them!

As for the best soldiers in the Army, I'm biased slightly so I will say The Royal Corps of Signals However, all the blades are highly trained and very good at their jobs, so differentiating between them is always going to be hard. The same applies to Combat Support and other regiments.

I think the one thing that everyone can agree on is that our army is pretty much the best in the world.

The question should be who are the best soldiers for a certain task? I couldnt stand around in a bearskin hat all day and for show they are probably one of the most famous in the world so probably the best in that respect. Engineers? the best of making something out of nothing ( sounds like my ex lol).Gurkhas mm hard as nails fearless little B*******. So are the ROK (South Korea) Covert Stuff probably SAS SBS The Israelis are pretty Handy.Marines? mm well the navy only has them because sheep would be tooo obvious.