.22 ricochetts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.22lr are the very worst for ricochets, bar none, I reckon its down to the speed / weight ratio. Full bore stuff smashes itself much easier so is less likely to ping off. Over to Dekers.

Mmm, Full bore is a lot more frightening though- worst bit they don't always scream off. although i might harp on about safe shot with one is safe with the other you might consider thinking again if that statement is 100% before you let fly with 150grns plus of lead. if you get one you become a lot more carefull and thats just a fact :yes:

I shot at 12 and killed 11 dekers, sorry for asking a general question mr grumpalot! :yp:

............it can happen with any calibre and any round in the right (wrong) conditions...can we get off the bandwagon of .22lr ricochets.

Somehow this most dangerous, terrible, evil round that bounces all over the countryside remains the most popular civil calibre in England, UK, Europe, the World!

Funny that!

And you will reduce dramatically the number/effects of ricochets if you can actually hit your quarry!

Next question!

.22lr are the very worst for ricochets, bar none, I reckon its down to the speed / weight ratio. Full bore stuff smashes itself much easier so is less likely to ping off. Over to Dekers.

And your point is?

Sorry, but .22lr and ricochets are boring me beyond belief, yes it can happen,it can happen with any calibre and any round in the right (wrong) conditions...can we get off the bandwagon of .22lr ricochets.

Somehow this most dangerous, terrible, evil round that bounces all over the countryside remains the most popular civil calibre in England, UK, Europe, the World!

Funny that!

And you will reduce dramatically the number/effects of ricochets if you can actually hit your quarry!

Is there anyone who doesn't know how bad the .22lr ricochets and should be banned on H&S grounds, after all, everyone read it somewhere on a forum and repeats it non stop for the rest of their lives!

Form an orderly que to do civil duty and return your .22lr as dangerous and therefore unusable!

:yes::lol::D:good:

Is there anyone who doesn't know how bad the .22lr ricochets and should be banned on H&S grounds, after all, everyone read it somewhere on a forum and repeats it non stop for the rest of their lives!

Form an orderly que to do civil duty and return your .22lr as dangerous and therefore unusable!

:yes::lol::D:good:

I gave up the .22lr once for just that reason. Compared to everything else it does seem to bounce a bit! I've got another now but it does scare me. Centrefires do come back up but a nice light, fast bullet from something like a .223 rarely makes it off the ground in my experience.

I've shot thousands of .22lr and hundreds of most cf calibres on all sorts of land. .22lr really does bounce! Not saying the bigger rounds should be used as if they don't come up, but they don't seem to do it so often.

............it can happen with any calibre and any round in the right (wrong) conditions...can we get off the bandwagon of .22lr ricochets.

Funny that!

Next question!

Or do what I do and leave your hearing aid at home. Simples!

I find that CCI segmenting do really work , the only ricochets I get are very rare and they sound different i think they are only one of the small fragments with little energy not the whole lump like a normal sub.They don't half knock down rabbits as well.

Down points... don't chamber easily in my sako quad, not as accurate as eleys but not too bad and a bit more expensive.

i'll keep using them as I like to sleep at night, I had given up on the .22 because of ricochets , now am using it much more , great with my new NV.

+1 :good:

I have had a fair few whizz off after hitting a hard object or dry ground.

It has never been an issue as they don't travel far when spinning and lose their remaining energy over a short distance. You shouldn't be shooting near anything or anyone that could be harmed by a ricochete.

The idea that they carry on for huge distances with enough energy to cause a fatality is just old tales.

As some one pointed out it takes a 50 cal to knock ear defenders off, what would a .22 realisticaly do.

The problem is with rounds that re-bound towards the shooter. If you are shooting over a short distance they could hurt comming straight back.

A decent range will have a bit of distance between the target and the back stop. With a suitable medium for backstop.

If you have one come straight back at you in the field, you haven't looked carefully enough at your back stop.

The idea that they carry on for huge distances with enough energy to cause a fatality is just old tales.

As some one pointed out it takes a 50 cal to knock ear defenders off, what would a .22 realisticaly do.

Even if a 22lr only took 1/4 energy onwards, that's enough to kill someone. The chap whose ear defenders were grazed by a .50 ricochet was lucky not to lose his head.

You shouldn't be shooting near anything or anyone that could be harmed by a ricochete.

Even if a 22lr only took 1/4 energy onwards, that's enough to kill someone. The chap whose ear defenders were grazed by a .50 ricochet was lucky not to lose his head.

How far will it carry this energy? :hmm:

Will you shoot when someone is standing 100m away 50m to the side behind your target ?

You wouldn't!

I can't believe people stop shooting a rifle because they heard it ricochete, but no one can tell you how far said bullet travelled or how much energy it carried. As most seem to happen with sub-sonics, I think it wouldn't be much.

To put this into perspective and taking it that in the main we're talking sub-sonic: If you hit solid steel at precisely 90 degrees the bullet will stop and loose all its energy. If you hit said steel at 1 degree the bullet will go off at a tangent and loose very little energy comparitively speaking. Consequently, as as soon as you pull the trigger and the bullet develops a mind of its own over which you have no control, the only safe option is to cater for the worst scenario and take into account that any ricochet may travel the maximum distance that the bullet is capable of on its normal trajectory.

So, question; given the most favourable trajectory, how far can a 40gr sub-sonic 22LR bullet travel?

Given this answer (which probably isn't the same as given on the box), you then have your safety distance.

exactly if you think about how fast the bullet drops anyway think about the fact that once its hit the ground it has lost some energy. Then over the next 200 yards it should drop to the ground no problems and won't carry on like a bouncing bomb.

Is this still going...

Nobody can predict direction, energy, fragmentation, etc of ricochets in the field, energy loss is significant whatever, and sometimes VERY significant...but I still wouldn't want to be in the way just be careful out there!

Is this still going...

Nobody can predict direction, energy, fragmentation, etc of ricochets in the field, energy loss is significant whatever, and sometimes VERY significant...but I still wouldn't want to be in the way just be careful out there!

Exactly. Specified range danger areas, other than pure distance, are empirical in nature which just means it hasn't happened YET. Consequently, as ever, Murphy and Sod must always be borne in mind.

Edited by wymberley

So, question; given the most favourable trajectory, how far can a 40gr sub-sonic 22LR bullet travel?

Given this answer (which probably isn't the same as given on the box), you then have your safety distance.

about 250yds with the barrel level from a standing position before it hits the deck, by then if it does bounce it'll go upto 80ish yds depending on the ground conditions. as for optimum range at an optimum angle, never tried it and not in any mind to thankyou.

And your point is?

Sorry, but .22lr and ricochets are boring me beyond belief, yes it can happen,it can happen with any calibre and any round in the right (wrong) conditions...can we get off the bandwagon of .22lr ricochets.

Funny that!

My point is, that .22LR subs riccochet worse than anything else, that's all.

about 250yds with the barrel level from a standing position before it hits the deck, by then if it does bounce it'll go upto 80ish yds depending on the ground conditions. as for optimum range at an optimum angle, never tried it and not in any mind to thankyou.

850 yds max with optimal barrel angle, which I dimly recall as around 35 degrees of elevation.

A few years ago me and a mate decided to see how far a .22lr subsonic rnd would go. We aimed at a tree across a 800yd harrowed and very dry field so we could see the dust kick up ( was safe for the next five miles or so beyond) We never managed to get anything into the oak tree,it seemed that this was just about the limit at what ever angle.