any pigeons hitting barley/wheat yet?

hushpower

Have just been having alook at my permision 1300 acres in cheshire of wheat barley and oats,it all seems fully grown height wise just the corn/seed its self needs to grow abit ,geting ripe though. scarcely any birds about but i know there will be. i reckon 3-4 weeks off harvest if sunshine an awee bit of rain keeps up. just wondering if any one is geting any shooting over wheat/barley at the moment?.woodys never seem to touch the oats here for some reason.

Rape is about 4 weeks of around here so would think around 6 weeks till wheat is cut and thats early should have some swathed rape within 2 weeks or so . Got a few hitting the barley but not many alot for them to go at tho at the moment with peas and sring rape pulling the most birds

I have started to notice the birds getting busy on my crops which in turn is starting to turn golden already...

Some nice arears to the middle of the field already looking golden and some flat areas being seen.

Was out this saturday and shoot 35 woodies which seems to be a great start (well for me) on these crops, last year it was very poor and very little birds around.

Just hoping this will improve, but very happy with my 35 on the crops in my area Weekend just gone.

It looks like its looking up at least for feather sport around here at least for now :hmm:

Just need some more rain and sun and give it 4 weeks should be great fun... I hope.

Lee

Two of us shot just short of 300 yesterday on barley that has failed to grow my mate shot the bulk of the bag.

Watch telegrapgh wires and power lines .

Cheers

God thats a RED LETTER day down here mate, can you scare them down to us please....

Well done mate... :good:

Seen about 50 to 60 on our barley at the moment.There has been alot more on the clover and chickweed in some of our grass fields. They can be difficult to spot as you drive past, so if you have some grass fields on your permission take a closer look especially in the afternoon you might be surprised.

I normally sit in the vehicle and have a brew for agood half hour and watch for activity but the other nyte i was passing to go on a rabbit permmision couldnt hang about,thats the reason of the post.9 times out of ten where i shoot the pigeons hit it where the wind an rain have flatened it ,thats where normally set up ,an dicipline is required to drop them on the blown corn thats if you can hit them.But i will still shoot them if thers no chance if picking them.

Two of us shot just short of 300 yesterday on barley that has failed to grow my mate shot the bulk of the bag.

Watch telegrapgh wires and power lines .

Cheers

Sounds like one of OTH's throwaway comments.

Do you guys shoot over the fully grown high crops or look for fallen patches? I have a lot of pigeon activity over the barley, just not sure how to decoy them in if there is no bare patches of ground?

Blown down areas are best, but some of our barley and wheat is quite short due to the lack of rain.

If its standing then use a rotary, floaters or bouncers, you don't have to use ground decoys to bring the birds in to have a look.

Walk up the tram lines and try to keep out of the crop as much as possible (this is where a dog is really handy.)

Do you guys shoot over the fully grown high crops or look for fallen patches? I have a lot of pigeon activity over the barley, just not sure how to decoy them in if there is no bare patches of ground?

Look in the wheelings or green areas in the shade of trees or hedges to start with. If the heavy rain that is forecast materialises they will land in flattened areas. Also keep your eye on the wheat for when the crows (not aliens as some think) :rolleyes: make crop circles. Pigeons and rooks will pile into the circles stripping the fallen wheat.

Its my first year of having good crop to shoot over. I pass the wheat fields most days, and its tall and green. Ill have a look tomorrow to see if any has flattened. Might be worth getting the farmer to ring me as well when it does.

the barley and wheat on our perms is a bit behind its all spring sown and the heads are not properly formed and still green, they start on it round us just as it starts turning colour with proper ears on the stalks so another 2 weeks before we see any interest..