Afternoon decoying

chrispti

I saw one of my rape fields being cut yesterday afternoon, so managing to finish work early this afternoon I headed up for a go at the woodys.

Set up with 10 flocked shells and a few full bodied decoys, a flapper and rotary (when I dropped the first few birds)

The rotary was set off to one side, and about 10yrds out, from the hide.

There was a steady flow of birds comming into the field and a good few decoyed nicley.

I used some of the new Gamebore clear pigeon cartridges, 30g #6's fiber wad through the Browning Maxus, which I thought performed very poorly. I had a good few birds which where hit hard, but started walking about once on the ground :blink:

I also had a pocket full of other cartridges which all killed perfectly. The last time I had that many pricked birds was when I used a clay load of #7.5.

Wont be getting any more fiber wad clear pigeons again :no:

Any way, ended the day with 119, picked up 107 with thanks to MJT's dog Sweep :good:

post-11306-0-73777400-1310501304.jpg

Good shooting :good:

I used some of the new Gamebore clear pigeon cartridges, 30g #6's fiber wad through the Browning Maxus, which I thought performed very poorly. I had a good few birds which where hit hard, but started walking about once on the ground :blink:

This begs the question, "do they pattern too loosely in your gun". I know that fibre wads often pattern loose, perhaps a bit of extra choke would make a difference.

I don't want to start the choke debate again, but for comparison, what are your normal cartridges ?

Good result and a nice pic. :good:

Its interesting what you say about the new Gamebore Clear Pigeon No6 fibre wad.

In the 12bore I have been using Gamebore Super Game Extreme 30gm No6 fibre wad for some long time (big bulk purchase a few years ago) and have had no problems.

I recently bought 1000 Gamebore Clear Pigeon No6 fibre wad to try and have used a few hundred, my opinion was that they seemed to be hitting as hard as the Super Game Extreme through quarter choke, but even harder through half choke (used on some longer range corvids).

Obviously I have no scientific evidence to back any of this up, but its just a feeling you get.

Good result and a nice pic. :good:

Its interesting what you say about the new Gamebore Clear Pigeon No6 fibre wad.

In the 12bore I have been using Gamebore Super Game Extreme 30gm No6 fibre wad for some long time (big bulk purchase a few years ago) and have had no problems.

I recently bought 1000 Gamebore Clear Pigeon No6 fibre wad to try and have used a few hundred, my opinion was that they seemed to be hitting as hard as the Super Game Extreme through quarter choke, but even harder through half choke (used on some longer range corvids).

Obviously I have no scientific evidence to back any of this up, but its just a feeling you get.

i,ve been using the new clear pigeon fibre 32g and 30g in a fixed choke miroku mk38 1/4 3/4 shooting birds on a flightline and dropping them stone dead at 50 yards, but i have found the 30g fibre to pattern inconsistently in the maxus with 1/2 choke in it. but both carts are brilliant in the fixed choke gun

Edited by yickdaz

I dont personally think it is the cartridges.

The maxus, having a lengthened forcing cone and over bored barrel, using the fiber wad doesnt form a gas tight seal, so the gas is escaping past the wad and shot, therefor reducing the cartridges power.

I will try the plastic wad version and see what happens :good:

I dont personally think it is the cartridges.

The maxus, having a lengthened forcing cone and over bored barrel, using the fiber wad doesnt form a gas tight seal, so the gas is escaping past the wad and shot, therefor reducing the cartridges power.

I will try the plastic wad version and see what happens :good:

Maybe its just your shooting Chris :oops:

Good bag fella :good: