7 1/2 shot on pigeons

hi all.

i know this topic has been raised before but can i heck find it. :rolleyes:

me and my dad have a large collection of 7 1/2 clay loads weve been given over the years.

question is are they fine for shooting over 30 yard deeks (pigeons) or do you get too many pricked birds.

thanks in advance. :good:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all.

i know this topic has been raised before but can i heck find it. :rolleyes:

thanks in advance. :good:

A very quick search pulled up these threads on the same subject, I suspect there are a lot more. Happy reading :)

>>>>>>>Linky<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>Linky<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>Linky<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>Linky<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>Linky<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>Linky<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>Linky<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>Linky<<<<<<<<<

Yes, this subject has been covered alot. I will always maintain that in the right hands, a 28gm 7 1/2 shot cartridge will kill pigeons very effectively. I shoot mainly 1/2 choke and get very good kills beyond 40 yards and notice very little difference in performance to a 'pigeon' load.

:good:

cheers bb. i searched all sorts but never found anything.. :rolleyes:

think i will try some this week. i have loads of 28gr 7 1/2s.

makes me wonder why its drilled in us all.

6 for pigeon

5 for rabbits

and so on when 7 1/2s are dirt cheap compared to pigeon loads. :huh:

cheers mike.

Guest cookoff013

now hold on a minute, different carts have different speeds.

speed is the energy.

so if its a slow clay load of 7.5s... probly not.

i wonder why most standard game loads are very quick?

think il change to 7 1/2's :yes::good:

hi lee, the only 7.5 28gr cartridge to use on pigeon at 45 yards is a TRAP SHELL as the plastic wad used holds the shot together longer, we have used TRAP CARTRIDGES to kill stone dead thousands of pigeons at this range and used half choke, the sporting cartridges use a plastic or fibre wad that opens up more quickly and at 30 yards will leave holes in the pattern thus pigeons are wounded. if you have to use a sporting 28gr 7.5 cartridges only use over decoys at a max 30 yard and use only threequater or full choke and you will kill the pigeon cleanly. atb joe. :good:

I have been pondering this one myself,i started out with 28g 7 1/2 loads and now use 32g 6s,i am thinking that close birds are over killed and further away shots,well surely the smaller load would get there quicker.

Anyway,i am reverting back to the smaller load of 28g 7 1/2 :good:

hi lee, the only 7.5 28gr cartridge to use on pigeon at 45 yards is a TRAP SHELL as the plastic wad used holds the shot together longer, we have used TRAP CARTRIDGES to kill stone dead thousands of pigeons at this range and used half choke, the sporting cartridges use a plastic or fibre wad that opens up more quickly and at 30 yards will leave holes in the pattern thus pigeons are wounded. if you have to use a sporting 28gr 7.5 cartridges only use over decoys at a max 30 yard and use only threequater or full choke and you will kill the pigeon cleanly. atb joe. :good:

Yep, at 30 yards inspite of apparently being full of holes, the pattern will be sufficiently dense so that on average a pigeon will be hit by 14 pellets. Yep, definitely dead.

i wonder why most standard game loads are very quick?

Not so actually, it is true you can get hot game loads but by and large they fall in the sub 1400 fps category, sometimes well below. Clay loads of 7.5 shot size are more often than not doing at least 1400 fps and often a bit more :yes: .

Over decoys at ranges not exceeding 35 yards 7.5`s through LM plus chokes will smoke pigeon dead. I have often shot them side by side with 6`s which are meant to be the shot size of choice and found that if anything the bigger shot produces more runners, presumably because fewer pellets lead to fewer strikes?! By choice I prefer 7`s for pigeon :yes: .

To the man who said "pick a shell and if it works stick to it" or words to tha effect, spot on.

I think a lot of people forget you are killing pigeons, not buffalo. I was in the process of moving house last week so had to bag up all the loose shells I'd gathered over the years. They ranged from 24g 9s to 50g 3s. We went out and chucked them at pigeons, not paying attention to what went it the guns. We didn't have many pricked birds, the longest one which was stone dead just over 60 yards care of a rusty old patriot F2 in 28g 7.5. Absolutely flattened 2 with 24g shells at 30 yards, looked like they were shot from ten foot away.

All were shot through 35thou of choke. Load up with whatever you have to hand and go and drop some birds!