cheap guns

martindd

Hi all

I don’t get much chance to shoot and indeed have done none at all for 4 yrs when I sold a Beretta I had.

However I want to shoot again and always have (really interested in rough shooting) but May likely do more clays.

At the minute ive got a Brazilian :lol: single barrel 8 bore my sons had lessons with.

no to cut a long story short i have never been so short of cash so im looking for something really cheap, i have got a couple of feelers for some permission(long shots)and my sons (14) desperate to come.

Basically what I want to know is what the cheapest gun you would consider using?

Cheers Martin

to be honest there out my price range hoping to get something sub £300 maybe an old sxs

Get yourself to the Midland, you can easily buy 2 for your £300, plus cleaning kits, slips and a few boxes of carts.

Gun snobbery exits in the minds of idiots, there are plenty of very cost effective used shotguns out there!

ATB!

Hi all

I don’t get much chance to shoot and indeed have done none at all for 4 yrs when I sold a Beretta I had.

However I want to shoot again and always have (really interested in rough shooting) but May likely do more clays.

At the minute ive got a Brazilian :lol: single barrel 8 bore my sons had lessons with.

no to cut a long story short i have never been so short of cash so im looking for something really cheap, i have got a couple of feelers for some permission(long shots)and my sons (14) desperate to come.

Basically what I want to know is what the cheapest gun you would consider using?

Cheers Martin

Not proud if its safe i will use just about anything, its far better to spend your cash on shells, transport etc than fancy engraving and classy walnut (though they are nice to have at times you are flush)

Get yourself to the Midland, you can easily buy 2 for your £300, plus cleaning kits, slips and a few boxes of carts.

Gun snobbery exits in the minds of idiots, there are plenty of very cost effective used shotguns out there!

ATB!

thanks for thats what i want to hear that. very refreshing

I paid £150 for my lanber o/u fixed choke 1/4 & 1/2 n/e does everything it should do and I wouldnt dream of parting with it so they are out there :good:

i wouldbe over the moon with that!!

been to look at a couple one of which was pitted in the barrels for double that money

cheers

a cheap gun will kill just the same as an expensive gun if you point it in the right place, unfortunately i'm yet to master that part :blush:

seriously though you can pick up some solid little baikals for less than £100, you could pick up a cheap little baikal sbs for your lad and a secondhand hatsan for you. plenty of bargain about mate if your not a gun tart. :good:

how about a Baikal?? You will get a single trigger o/u for around £200 - £250. At that money its ok for rough but thanks to the single trigger it wil be ok for clays as well. If you do a search on here you will find a lot of people giving then good reports. I have a double trigger o/u that I paid £150 for in a local gun shop to use as a rough gun and I love it.

i have got an old spanish SxS that i paid £50 for, it sits in the cabinet alongside my beretta's and if i ever go for a mooch it is the first one i grab, it is also spending quite a lot of time decoying with me this year.

Stick to your budget there are a lot of guns out there that fit the bill perfectly :good:

Same as silver pigeon 3,i have an old spanish master,28' sxs and it is one of my favourites,its the first i reach for for a mooch round with the dog,and seems to fit me like a glove,when i bought it the stock looked like it had been dipped in varnish,so i stripped it and oiled it and it looks like a nice little working gun.

I paid £250 for a second hand single trigger ejector Baikal O/U with multichokes last year at a game fair. It didn't come with spare chokes but the option was there to buy them later if I needed them. As it stands I just kept the 1/4 and 1/2 that are in it, no need to change really unless you want to shoot Skeet?

I'm thinking of selling it on as I never keep a gun for long. Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll sort you some pictures.

As a guide though you could get something suitable for less. Maybe £150 to £200 will buy you a well used fixed choke model with ejectors and a single trigger. It won't shoot any better or worse than your old Beretta, although it isn't going to feel quite so refined obviously.

I've only been shooting shotguns since the beginning of the year (but rifles for a few years) so feel free to ignore my input. I have an old Baikal SxS (bought through here) that the wood was dented and scratched and the barrels were losing their blueing so the previous owner painted the furniture with dark green hammerite paint and the barrels with black paint, it's no looker but it cost me £35 and had a box of shells thrown in with it too. I shoot better with that than I do with my Winchester O/U that I paid £500 for.

Cheers

Ashley

PS - The Winchester O/U is for sale on here, fancy taking it off my hands ;)

I had a go with a beretta the other day was nice to shoot, but still preferred the chaps gun I was using for 80quid, looked a bit shabby, but still banged, ejected, and broke clays. Didn't look pretty, didn't have multiple choke, nor a nice stock but did what it said on the tin, plenty about. If you look, am sure there will be 1 reasonable distance aswell, Think I'm a cheap and cheerful sort too. But I still want a Miroku mk70 when funds allow :) as your bringing a new lad in it doesn't matter plus he will grow out of the gun soon enough so nothing posh is needed. Plus If you bang the stock it doesn't matter. It's the same with a car, it's nice to have a new 1 but the old 1 works just aswell cheaper and does the same job but your not bothered about people using the old 1 or hitting it. All importantly I hope you find a couple and have fun !!!