The Whiting are moving in!

Beretta28g

First shore caught Codling reported from Dungeness. I was dubious but the guy that told me is an accomplished fisherman with no reason to lie.

I personally have struggled in my usual spots. I was hoping for some nice warm calm weather to go Soleing after dark but it hasn't happened. I went anyway and was inundated with tiny whiting so decided to leger one in close and put another on a flyer to see if I could tempt one of the bigger bass that will be moving about at the moment. Had jack. The Bass seem to be staying well away from my fave spots as well. Returned one just sizeable saturday AM and my pal had one of about 3lb but they were the only bites and came within a minute of each other. Previous two occasions that I fished these I struggled not to blank also.

We've got what must be a force 8 blowing at the moment so I reckon this will break the stalemate once it blows its self out.

Edited by ack-ack

Similar issues along the E Sussex coast at the moment, but I reckon I might have to put something in the surf on the next tide after this blows through!

Had some good sport yesterday PM. Wind was up but surf was very slight. Did last two hours down and 2 hours up. Lots of queen cockles and stuff washing up so I was tipping off some rather poor lug with that. Got absolutely soaked but had 5 Bass all between one and 3 inches under but they accounted for themselves well on the carp rod. Loved it.

Going out to dig a few Dungie for the week in a minute. :yahoo:

The tide is right for this weekend and if the weather obliges I'll be having a go for smoothound and bass, maybe a few flatties. Then come inshore and see if I can get a mullet or two. Got a cracker last week.

Mullet.jpg

cracking fish.....impressed with the reel & rod though.....the good old mitchell match with auto bail arm, now that brings back memories :good:

• 3 weeks later...

First shore caught Codling reported from Dungeness. I was dubious but the guy that told me is an accomplished fisherman with no reason to lie.

I personally have struggled in my usual spots. I was hoping for some nice warm calm weather to go Soleing after dark but it hasn't happened. I went anyway and was inundated with tiny whiting so decided to leger one in close and put another on a flyer to see if I could tempt one of the bigger bass that will be moving about at the moment. Had jack. The Bass seem to be staying well away from my fave spots as well. Returned one just sizeable saturday AM and my pal had one of about 3lb but they were the only bites and came within a minute of each other. Previous two occasions that I fished these I struggled not to blank also.

We've got what must be a force 8 blowing at the moment so I reckon this will break the stalemate once it blows its self out.

ach dont worry about rod and line man get that drag net out their thatlle get em

Yes, a Mitchell Match and Chapman's 500 split cane light avon rod. Piece of bread flake about 1' down from the float right in the edge. I was catching roach from the same swim, and last time I went I got a flounder on worm. The mullet have moved on now. They'll not be back until June next year.

The reel was given to me about three years ago by a friend who has had it from new and hardly used it. It's in a lot better condition than my 300 from the same era.

Yes, a Mitchell Match and Chapman's 500 split cane light avon rod. Piece of bread flake about 1' down from the float right in the edge. I was catching roach from the same swim, and last time I went I got a flounder on worm. The mullet have moved on now. They'll not be back until June next year.

The reel was given to me about three years ago by a friend who has had it from new and hardly used it. It's in a lot better condition than my 300 from the same era.

i had 2 440 match reels just could't get on with them but for some reason really loved the look of them,

i used the daiwa 125m for all my match fishing still have 5 of them

colin

ach dont worry about rod and line man get that drag net out their thatlle get em

A few of the Hythe boys were having a drag last week in broad daylight and managed a dozen decent Sole for a 250m drag. I went there next tide with Sole gear and a carp rod and scratched a tiny sole, an undersized floundy and an undersized spikey. Had visions of me staggering up the beach with a big basket of sole but it didn't happen. :no:

A few of the Hythe boys were having a drag last week in broad daylight and managed a dozen decent Sole for a 250m drag. I went there next tide with Sole gear and a carp rod and scratched a tiny sole, an undersized floundy and an undersized spikey. Had visions of me staggering up the beach with a big basket of sole but it didn't happen. :no:

Hi Rob.....Where you been? Not seen you on here in ages! I thought you might have been still stuck in the mud....

I see you still have no Sole :lol:

TEH

Fished kessingland last fri night with my father we must have had 70-80 whiting between us with only about 6 keepers also had 3 smoothound pups and a dogfish, I am hoping the cod put in more of a apperance this winter.

They're showing here. Had this one early September up at Dungie on a Carp rod and size 4s whilst Soleing. Didn't have any Sole but this was a surprise. Looked like it should have gone about 3.5lb but was well out of shape. Badly hooked so it came home.

post-28393-0-64664200-1318069955.jpg

Yep it certainly looks a bit on the slinky side !, I never had one codling last year that was big enough to keep ,come to think of it I never had one that was not big enough to keep :no: , thats the thing I miss most from the 80s ,well that and my mullet haircut :lol:

They're showing here. Had this one early September up at Dungie on a Carp rod and size 4s whilst Soleing. Didn't have any Sole but this was a surprise. Looked like it should have gone about 3.5lb but was well out of shape. Badly hooked so it came home.

Cod x ling by the looks.