Clear screen wash?

paulf

Ive just bought a brand new sprinter van for work and the screen wash looks totally clear in the reservoir, is it likely they have just filled it with water upon taking UK delivery of the van or is clear screen wash made?

If it is likely to be just water then ill need to drain some out and top up with proper concentrate and a phone call to the Mercedes dealer to complain.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd squirt a load into a clean jam jar and shake it - it should foam more than water and smell like detergent.

There's no doubt about it screen wash is better than just water. That's why we put washing powder in washing machines and washing up liquid in our sinks. Plain water just doesn't clean that well.

If I'd just spent thousands on a new Merc and it had plain water in the reservoir I'd be more than annoyed. That cheapskate dealer and his lazy workshop boy would be getting a serious ear bashing! :yes:

I bought a gallon of screen wash for a really bargain price some years ago. After some years in the sun in the garage window, the sunlight seems to have bleached the blue colouring out of it, but it still works as well. Maybe old stock? More likely lazy garage!

Cheers folks, I did the jam jar suggestion and also sniffed it and I reckon it is definitely just water, I shall be phoning them tomorrow to complain.

On a new £29,000 van I do think its fair to expect £4s worth of screenwash!!!

Edited by paulf

Gaddafi is still running around free, so our government probably wont be able to exploit his oil, our boys are still being killed in Afghanistan, there is a recession going on and the wind just blew down my neighbours chicken shed. And your main concern is if you have screen wash in your washer bottle.

God help me!!!

I see that you are mildly annoyed but in all seriousness why not push the button for 20 seconds - drain a bit out of the reservoir and pour some concentrate in. I could do that in less time that it takes to turn the laptop on and start a thread. Never mind making phone calls.

I can see if they had put no oil in and the engine seized but we are talking £1 worth of screenwash.

when i was 16 and bought a moped (yammie fs 1e) i remember seeing another moped owner push is moped into the shop i had just bought mine from ,he had pushed it over a mile because it had run out of petrol :lol: he thought it was supplied for twelve months under guarantee is this the sort of thing you expect :hmm:

if i were you i would just press the button and empty some out then top up

the chances are if you go back moaning about something so minor they will just think what a moaning bxxtxxd and you will get messed about when your car is in in future ( i know someone who works in a dealership ) and it regular practice according to him

You spent nearly £30k on a new van you're entitled to expect a little screen wash! All these sarcastic commentators would be singing a different tune if it was their hard earned they'd parted with. We have had poor customer services for that long in this country some people are conditioned to accept it. What ever happened to the customer always being right? Ring the dealership and complain, you may get some free servicing or something.

Wow the world is coming to an end

If that is the only fault you can find with your new motor then I think they have done a real good job . With all the robots that throw together the engines and spot weld the panels together on the production line do you really think there is a little boy from the village that goes around checking the washer bottle is filled correctly .

You'll be asking for free bullets with your gun next