lamping rabbits

bothbarrels

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out at 8.30 pm tonight with ME and I got back 20 mins ago.

76 on the clicker.

The idea of picking them up and now spending who knows how long "prepping" 76 rabbits... well, each to their own eh? Please feel free to be indignant :lol:

That will keep you busy fof a while ! I lamp stacks of bunnies up her just to control the numbers on some farms but there is no outlet for em & it makes me feel so bad just chucking them but I can only eat so many !& half the world would love em ! . Thats the great thing I like about shooting in Africa , nothing goes too waste , except the mongoose ! . Pole Star

Respect means killing it humanely, at a distance and with a weapon that minimises errors and suffering.

A dead rabbit is a low value product or a waste product depending on the situation. It is not a fallen soldier. It does not require "respect".

I think you've hit the nail on the head there mate. :yes:

Went out at 8.30 pm tonight with ME and I got back 20 mins ago.

76 on the clicker.

The idea of picking them up and now spending who knows how long "prepping" 76 rabbits... well, each to their own eh? Please feel free to be indignant :lol:

I would like to point out that I was in charge of driving, holding the bible, saying the prayers, digging the little wabbit graves, chiselling the headstones and reprimanding Mungler for not picking them all up :lol::P:thanks::w00t:

The cost of finding an outlet for the wabbits outweighs the financial gain. My Porsche only does 19 MPG, so by the time I have run round all the local game dealers & eateries it will have cost me a small fortune. Besides a bloke down the pub told me that mixy can get into the leather upholstery in German sportscars. :lol:

Maybe I should offer them to the Waitrose delivery man next time he drops off the shopping....? :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Rabbits are lovely and aren't just vermin,

Adolf was a veggie and he was a German.

Pick up your shot bunnies when you go out,

Then pack them up and post them out,

To the starving people of Rwanda,

Who would probably prefer a shot and dressed panda.

Very moving :cry1:

I find this realy sad and no better than gassing them down thier holes. I am amazed so many are doing this, it does not bode well for our future.

Not as sad that you can't figure the difference between a rapid death that it didn't see coming and a lengthy painfull one before it eventually dies in a condition that other non-pest wildlife would not benefit from.

No disrespect but have you not noticed that very few people want rabbit these days?

The way I see it, you've just left £212 sitting in a field :oops: Thats not including the cost of the ammo as well :yes:

Disrespectfull...No Daft...Yes

SS

I tinks your the one thats daft for not reading the bit that they are difficult to give away - let alone trying to sell them in a location that's so overun with them anyone can get one very easily. Perhaps I should have saved them up in someone's back yard for two weeks and brought them home with me. :lol:

And yes, for other peoples suggestions, I'll put my hand up for shooting them because I can, not because I have to.

I've been shooting & ferreting since I was ten yrs old I am now 53. I was taught from a young age to respect my quarry, be it fur or feather, & if I have the good fortune to shoot something either eat it,sell it or give it to someone who does.Back in the day people were glad of such food suppliment, that train of thought has stayed with me.

I also work on a country estate where part of my job IS pest control, so in answer to your 'gain some more experience' I think I've got the t-shirt on that one.

the undelying factor is it seems after reading all you guys postings is the numbers, and I fully understand that bagging 60-80 rabbits a night maybe twice three times a week would cause a logistical problem, I hold my hands up to that one, I know where you are coming from, and to be honest I didn't realise such bags were regularily being had on a regular basis, and yes if I were to shoot as many as is being professed then, I would have trouble getting shot of them 'my way'.

As for the lack of communication, I did ask why he left the rabbits where they lay, and the answer was, "the missus doesn't like me gutting them at home",not good enuff in my book.

I came on this site to share my permissions with likeminded others in return, maybe shooting somewhere different and making good mates along the way (which incidentley I have) I make no apologies for my initial post, apart from the name calling, a better choice of words on hindsite would have been more appropriate-lesson learn't.

BB

seems like your willing to listen good on ya for that

For the record lack of respect for quarry during rabbit control is taking long pot shots with a HMR trying to prove how far you can kill from with the distinct chance of not getting a clean kill (then bragging about it) Lack of respect is not putting another shot into a wounded rabbit to finish the job as clean and quickly as possible, or kicking the body about or shooting in high cross winds when shot placement is a problem due to wind drift…………….

As you already stated the lad who kindly took you showed good field practice with a nice clean kill. No suffering just lights out and sorry mr bunny but you have to go…….

Edited by pavman

Just out of interest on the subject of rabbit wastage boys , when I lived in Australia I was told stories of the days of the great rabbit plague before the introduction of mexy .

The older Australians told me of a Whole Industry that grew up out of the vast numbers rabbits being shot , netted & ferreted & I was told you could even buy cans of tinned rabbit in the shops ! . It just makes me wonder if we are missing some thing here ?? :hmm:

It just makes me wonder if we are missing some thing here ?? :hmm:

I'm sure if you look back a few decades, you'll see that rabbit was eaten a lot. Times have changed and most people won't touch rabbit because they're associated as pets, all sweet and fluffy.

I think I remember seeing Waitrose stocking them when I was about 10, but I can imagine parents would complain these days if there was any rabbit on the shelves, with the exception of dog and cat food.

Edited by Billy.

I'm sure if you look back a few decades, you'll see that rabbit was eaten a lot. Times have changed and most people won't touch rabbit because they're associated as pets, all sweet and fluffy.

I think I remember seeing Waitrose stocking them when I was about 10, but I can imagine parents would complain these days if there was any rabbit on the shelves, with the exception of dog and cat food.

Yes you are probably right there Billy but I wonder if the tv chefs have helped to change attitude's , it seems an awful waste just to leave em .

Chaps who came up to Orkney to shoot not to many years ago would always take any Rabbits they dident want to a dealer in Kirkwall & sell them but the market for them dried up sadly . Pole Star

one probelem is the amout of work to process into a meal, i take a few for pies and burgers now and again but as we all know they stink like an Essex council estate!

I have developed a method of preperation hanging them from the garage roof by the back legs and skining to remove meat without gutting and all the mess. No need to gut in the field as long as you do it fairly quickly after shooting (by next morning) i just draw the skin down to the head if you take it easy you dont split the gut cavity and spill his gizzards out. I then take meat from back legs and fillets and leave the front legs as there is little of use, about 4 rabbits makes a nice amount which i dice and freeze and then take out to use as required. Similar with pigeon breasts and small duck like teal i just breast them never pluck them. That way we have a selection of game/meats for use at all times and i top up as we run down :good:

Edited by pavman

I think if you live in an area where the rabbits are over run then you can't use all what you shoot, but if you live in an area where rabbits are thin on the ground then you tend to pick up ALL you shoot.

Some of you guys are lucky to be shooting 50-150 a night, whereas some guys are lucky to shoot 5 in a night and think they have had a good night, then theres a big difference. Different situations are required for a supply demand.

Leaving rabbits where they are shot in a lot of areas will feed the foxes /buzzards ect, which in turn these won't prey on game birds of peoples chickens so it does come of use.

Well thats my view on it, and to all that have a lot of rabbits to shoot, you guys are LUCKY :D

Bry

I recentely went out lamping with a chap I met through Pigeon watch. He has a ton of land on which to shoot a lovely gun and a newish 4x4, everything you could want really..

We set off around 10.30 at night, to start with he shot and I lamped, he was using a rimfire, wich was dead accurate, and made a clean kill every time, but to my horror and disgust, he simply left the rabbits where they were shot and wasn't the least bit interested in picking them up. I then took my turn, whilst he drove and lamped, and he was most disgruntled because I insisted on retrieving everything I'd bagged. needless to say I won't be going out with him again, I recon the least you can do for your quarry, is have the decency to either eat it or give it to someone who will. What do you recon, is he in his rights to do this or a **** like I think?

BB

YES Bothbarrels you have the right way of thinking & a much better attitude , if that chap gets the hump about it just go shooting with some who thinks more along your own lines . I have a similar problem with a young chap up here in Orkney & not with rabbits but bloody geese & ducks !to him they are just fun targets like clays .

Some shooters are getting some what annoyed with his attitude now & the last time he was looking to go out for a shot with me I wasent having it . He's a nice young lad but its getting to a point now where we have to draw the line , a few days ago he chucked out 27 greylags so you see what I mean .

You & the chap you are shooting with will only get peed off with each others attitude in the end so I would say look for another shooting buddy . Pole Star :hmm:

I think if you live in an area where the rabbits are over run then you can't use all what you shoot, but if you live in an area where rabbits are thin on the ground then you tend to pick up ALL you shoot.

Some of you guys are lucky to be shooting 50-150 a night, whereas some guys are lucky to shoot 5 in a night and think they have had a good night, then theres a big difference. Different situations are required for a supply demand.

Leaving rabbits where they are shot in a lot of areas will feed the foxes /buzzards ect, which in turn these won't prey on game birds of peoples chickens so it does come of use.

Well thats my view on it, and to all that have a lot of rabbits to shoot, you guys are LUCKY :D

Bry

There is a lot of ignorance, innexperience and BS in this thread, VERY few people get to shoot 50 rabbits a night, and FAR less get to shoot 150 a night, if they do it is a new site, they have neglected it or it is absolutely massive!

The biggest site I am involved with is 36-38,000 acres, nobody is quite sure, it has just about everything you can think of on the site including several Gamekeepers, and they NEVER bring home 150 rabbits a night, because it is managed :yes::yes: !

And as for fields full of dead bunnies the day after... :lol::lol::lol:

There is a lot of ignorance, innexperience and BS in this thread, VERY few people get to shoot 50 rabbits a night, and FAR less get to shoot 150 a night, if they do it is a new site, they have neglected it or it is absolutely massive!

We have farmland bordered by grouse moor. In two or three hours by vehicle I will see hundreds of rabbits and usually shoot over 100. The keepers take hundreds off the moor every week. Drive on the roads over the top and it's a carpet of bunnies.

One night 4 of us went out, a driver, 2 rimfires and a teenager with an airgun. In 4 hours we clicked over 400 rabbits shot.