lamping rabbits

bothbarrels

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is a lack of respect.

why is that lack of respect? i never named him, i just don't agree with his attitude to leaving dead rabbits all over the show, i was always bought up to use what you kill, or at least give it to someone who will that's RESPECT for your quarry i agree there are loads of blokes on here who would give their left arm to go out rabbitting, and i bet most of them would respect their quarry and do it justice by picking it up. anyway nuff said we've all got our opininons on this.

BB,

I go out 2-3 times a week at the moment lamping rabbits and they get left where they are shot, I take what I need and the rest is left, the farmers just want them gone I live in a little village and if I could genuinely place all that I shoot it would be nice but people still dont eat rabbits because of myxomatosis thats all the folks remember and quote when offered sad but true and frankly fella you should gratefull you were taken out on some elses permission, and for you to name him :no::no: have some respect.

I reckon you have just lost a lot of prospective opportunities.

Alan

I recently put in for a variation and had a count up of rimfire ammo - in just under a year (since last variation) I have shot ~3,500 rounds. Other than occasional zeroing all those shots have been against live rabbits. I could have easily shot 2,500-3,000 rabbits. I do enjoy it, but I work bloody long hours. I do eat some rabbits and give some away but the vast majority rot where they lie. I do it for pest control, I will shoot bunnies if any size - the baby ones just get bigger.

The farmers like to see some bodies about so they can see we are doing something. I would love to spend a couple of hours gathering, gutting bunnies and take them to the gamedealer (hour round trip) but I don't have time. I have a job. I regularly shoot over 6 farms and could have as many again but I couldn't even hope to keep up with things. When I can get on with a vehicle (lot of what I shoot is silage ground) it's a bad night if I shoot less than 100, often many more.

so lets get this right ......you was on his land , his guns , his 4x4 and fuel and your whinning about him leaveing them

where they drop ..

honestly id never take you again if you slated me on a forum this bloke was good enough to take you out and this is wat he gets

you need to get really mate rabbits are vermin i shoot 1000s of them a year and very very often do i pick them up other than for

photos to show farmers .

If any one wants a few then ill head shoot a few for them most people on here do pest control its why we are on there land

if you wanted why did you not pick a few up for your self .

If i was you id be gratfull of a night out on some one else land not slagging them about a few scabby bunnys its just my thought

but wat the hell who cares most on here moan about any thing and every thing any way im off to bed nite nite

Very noble aintcha?

A farmer I shoot for when I go on a shooting holiday instructed me to leave them where they fall for other wildlife in the knowledge that Cornwall is so full of rabbits that you can't give many of them away. I shot 119 that night before running out of bullets and 93 three nights later.

So I'm disrespectfull. :rolleyes:

I think it is a waste of meat. Unfortunately there are many people who all they enjoy is pull the trigger of a rifle/shotgun and not deal with the aftermath. Even when pest control takes place, gathering the kill and piling it out of sight (and out of the way of livestock or even the shooter the next time they are out on the same land) sounds better to me.

i do tend to shoot a lot of bunnies and keep all my farmers happy with my service i may take one or two home now and again . i do collect them up if in big numbers but then they are hedged out of site. if i told the farmers i would only take a rabbit a week for dinner i think i would soon have others taking over my shoots. not long ago i posted of a farmer giving me and my brother at least £70 worth of beef for sorting the rabbits out he said we had saved him £100,s in rabbit fencing that he had plans for if i had only took what i could eat there would still be a problem on the land.

so lets get this right ......you was on his land , his guns , his 4x4 and fuel and your whinning about him leaveing them

where they drop ..

honestly id never take you again if you slated me on a forum this bloke was good enough to take you out and this is wat he gets

you need to get really mate rabbits are vermin i shoot 1000s of them a year and very very often do i pick them up other than for

photos to show farmers .

If any one wants a few then ill head shoot a few for them most people on here do pest control its why we are on there land

if you wanted why did you not pick a few up for your self .

If i was you id be gratfull of a night out on some one else land not slagging them about a few scabby bunnys its just my thought

but wat the hell who cares most on here moan about any thing and every thing any way im off to bed nite nite

No mate ,you haven't got that right. for a start it was a mutual thing. we were going to go out on my permission at a later date, secondly I wasn't 'moaning'I didnt name names, just telling a story of a recent experience and asking everyone elses opinion (we all have one ). and thirdly I DID pick up my kills, so if you read my post you'd know, but I realise it's late and you're tired, so your'e forgiven!

Personally I'd advise against ditching them in bulk as then they will stay around. We do a mix of the two when I need some I'll head shoot some but the rest of the time they get left. We do move them from the horse fields but thats only so my mate doesn't get too much ear ache off his missus.

Rabbits are a natural thing if you don't pick them up something makes use of them, whether it be foxes or birds of prey. One thing is for sure most of ours are gone in a couple of days max, mixie doesn't enter the ground so that rumour is one of the less educated suggestions and warrants a google search to work out how it is transmitted ;)

One things for sure you went out saw a lot and won't be going again even if you wanted to :oops:

Farmers generally just want them gone and if they can see dead ones it shows you are doing a good job. Livestock ground is a bit different but it certainly applies to arable ground

Personally I'd advise against ditching them in bulk as then they will stay around. We do a mix of the two when I need some I'll head shoot some but the rest of the time they get left. We do move them from the horse fields but thats only so my mate doesn't get too much ear ache off his missus.

Rabbits are a natural thing if you don't pick them up something makes use of them, whether it be foxes or birds of prey. One thing is for sure most of ours are gone in a couple of days max, mixie doesn't enter the ground so that rumour is one of the less educated suggestions and warrants a google search to work out how it is transmitted ;)

One things for sure you went out saw a lot and won't be going again even if you wanted to :oops:

Farmers generally just want them gone and if they can see dead ones it shows you are doing a good job. Livestock ground is a bit different but it certainly applies to arable ground

:good::good::good:

Each site is different and landowners have different expectations, when you have to remove loads from the formal gardens of the country estate then the odds are the family will not want to see bodies all over the lawn.

Farmland, etc may be different.

ATB!

If you have rabbits then you have things that eat them!

If I want a bunny or two for the table I will look to head shoot them but I get so many I'm not interested, my job is pest control and the shot is designed to stop, end of.

At £1 a bunny cleaned and delivered, and the price of fuel/and my time, it is rare I bother to take them to my dealer.

You do not know the circumstances of this guy and your views appear bigoted (and ungracious) to say the least!

Mate I'd kill for the opportunity to go out lamping with someone. I would have politely asked at the end of the evening if I could take 1 or 2 home for the pot. Everyone's happy then and you could have made a friend with the same interests as you and lots of land to shoot over.

Mate I'd kill for the opportunity to go out lamping with someone. I would have politely asked at the end of the evening if I could take 1 or 2 home for the pot. Everyone's happy then and you could have made a friend with the same interests as you and lots of land to shoot over.

That's a fair point Wesman. I did take my share home. personally I wouldn't want to shoot with someone with the attitude he had, but as I've said (over and over)each to thier own. I have loads of land of my own so I haven't shot myself in the foot, so to speak, but hey we live and learn!

Cheers

BB. :good:

OK, so a guy comes on here and says he finds it disrespectful to shoot quarry and dump it.

So the majority on here have a go because you all do it and its fine and he shouldn't complain about it.

Your not wrong mate. If I was killing edible quarry and leaving it I would question what i am doing it for.

Bored of hearing the same old excuse, pest control, most of the people on here don't know how to prepare game for the table anyway, there are many places that will take rabbits other than the game dealer...

Whether on someone elses permission or not, that wasn't the point of the thread and is something between them to sort out.

dead rabbits don't eat wheat simple fact and why most of us get allowed onto land to shoot. That is the important factor and I'm fairly sure a dead rabbit doesn't care if it gets eaten or not. Lots of romantic ideas get bandied about but the fundamental is most of us aren't out to enhance the rabbit population by "managing" it.