Eley Subsonic .22 hollowpoints

Hi,

I have been using Eley subs in my CZ452 forever (depite the price £53 for 500 - a whole other subject)

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a more waxy coating lately.

I went shooting this morning and had two bullets fail to extract out of about 50.

This has never happened to me before and I wondered if it might have something to do with this wax.

I give my rifle a light clean after every use and I have inspected the extractor claw which seems fine. No excessive wear and clean.

Your views much appreciated

cheers

I have the exact same gun when I bought it I was given a hundred or so eleys and they were thick with wax so much so that they were not hollow points any more :oops: I only changed to winn subs cos that's all my shop had and 33.00 for 500 . So it sounds like they ain't improved then try the Winn subs they seem to perform just as well :good:

Found the Winnie subs waxy and had extraction problems with them - Eleys were just to tight to bolt in.

had a few bad batches of eley 22s about 20 years ago, never used them since, we were getting about 5-7 misfires per box

never use subsonics anymore either, tried a box of remington yellowjackets one night through my unmoderated brno model 2 and weighed in 49 head shot bunnies at the butchers next day,

still useing them, wouldnt use eley subsonics if they were free

had a few bad batches of eley 22s about 20 years ago, never used them since, we were getting about 5-7 misfires per box

never use subsonics anymore either, tried a box of remington yellowjackets one night through my unmoderated brno model 2 and weighed in 49 head shot bunnies at the butchers next day,

still useing them, wouldnt use eley subsonics if they were free

Wouldn't use them if I was paid to. Always surprises me when people say they use them as I have always thought you would be better throwing stones at the target.

Must just be my gun I guess that doesn't like them.

over time I have gathered from previous posts that most folk swear by either winnie subs or Eley.... but if they are as waxy a eachother I might as well stick to what I know. (might give em a wipe before loading mag)

Interesting that Eleys are £13 cheaper in essex!

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

over time I have gathered from previous posts that most folk swear by either winnie subs or Eley.... but if they are as waxy a eachother I might as well stick to what I know. (might give em a wipe before loading mag)

Interesting that Eleys are £13 cheaper in essex!

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Eley subs 52 pound 500

Has any body actualy thought about wiping the wax of the cartridges before using them . I do it all the time with waxy cartridges . Enough lube will be left behind after wiping for lubing the bullet . Its easier for the manufacturer to put lots of lube on the bullets than to put a small amount of lube on the bullets . I can assure you that these extra waxy cartridges are not meant to fired as waxy as this . Wipe em off .

Harnser .

Has any body actualy thought about wiping the wax of the cartridges before using them . I do it all the time with waxy cartridges . Enough lube will be left behind after wiping for lubing the bullet . Its easier for the manufacturer to put lots of lube on the bullets than to put a small amount of lube on the bullets . I can assure you that these extra waxy cartridges are not meant to fired as waxy as this . Wipe em off .

Harnser .

+1 :good: :good: :good:

colin

• 3 weeks later...

Harnser .

Eye, :yes: Harnser sorted it, not that dificult was it :good:

Can't understand this! Just got another load of Eleys as my last batch is due to run out. The latest ones are just like the last, bright as a new penny, no excessive wax and a well defined hollow point. Did have a grouping problem last week with the old lot but stripping and cleaning the moderator for the first time this century sorted that out.

Can I just bump this please? Does anyone know the answer?

I understood it as the extra was a little quicker. The old Eley sub was bearly doing a 1000fps and some complaints were coming in from auto users or the competition was just that bit quicker and with a slightly heavier bullet.

I think they are supposed to be going about 1050fps. I think they got a harder lube than the old ones that were covered in something like vaseline!

It's all academic to be honest, I have batches no quicker than the old stuff and so on.

Marketing hype at the end of the day :yes:

The above is just going of my failing memory!

U.