Head or body shot

theoben fenman

I know there are people out there with highly held views on this matter but im in between

I allways go for a head shot when in a good shooting position and no that i cnat miss because lets face it. If the pellet hits a non kill zone say at the mouth it will cause the rabbit a slow agonising death. But is hit properly the rabbit wont feel a thing.

On the contray if im standing (im probably the worst standing shot in the world) and im at close range then sometimes the body shot is the better choice. This is for a number of reasons: firstly i have the least soft mouthed lab in the world and any rabbit thats met her will vouch for that. This means an instant dispach of the target wether its dead allready or still trying to hang in there. At the moment i seem to be mercy killing (mixied rabbits) and as im allways at such close range to them the body shot often proves more effective. A body shot the other day resulted in the rabbit just toppling over without even any nervous spasms. I know this is rare but ive seen rabbits clearly head shot before that just run for it.

In short i believe there are good times for body shots but only if you know that it will result in a relatively quick death for the quarry

I would love to know peoples opinions but would stress that i occupy the middle ground and am not saying allways one or the other.

Attachment: Body shot mixis (they were in the game bag a while if your wondering)

post-49609-0-78358500-1319544211.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this also brings up the old .177 or .22 arguement.....

A .22 in the chest might be quicker than a low head shot that lets the rabbit run off and die: I can see a valid case but tend to only go for headshots meself, but I had one recently where I got bugs right through both eyes, and I was chasing it round for about 5 minutes before it stopped.... :no:

Ive had a lot of successful headshots too (like the sqz on my porfile page) but ive also made a pigs ear of some and completely missed :blush:

your statement above shows why a head shot is better in my opinion ,if you miss there is no damage done and if you hit then chances are that bugs is going down , if your missing a target the size of a rabbits head how can you be sure you will be accurate enough to hit a even smaller vital area in the body and if you do miss it your going to wound ?, I personally head shoot everything from pigeon to rats and rabbits ,not knocking, your choice at the end of the day but for me always the head shot with a airgun.

Ive had a lot of successful headshots too (like the sqz on my porfile page) but ive also made a pigs ear of some and completely missed :blush:

your statement above shows why a head shot is better in my opinion ,if you miss there is no damage done and if you hit then chances are that bugs is going down , if your missing a target the size of a rabbits head how can you be sure you will be accurate enough to hit a even smaller vital area in the body and if you do miss it your going to wound ?, I personally head shoot everything from pigeon to rats and rabbits ,not knocking, your choice at the end of the day but for me always the head shot with a airgun.

I agree and frequently go for the headshots but ive had less body shot rabbits run than ones that have been clearly shot in the head and somehow managed to firstly run and secondly evade the dog

Otherwise i agree but feel that if the situations right a body shot works just as well.

Sorry but only just re read it. Firstly my standing shooting isnt exactly world class :lol: and the head is not the kill zone as ive learnt painfully. The brain is the only real kill zone on the head and for me the body shot has more entrances than the head. Head shots are great if your in a good shooting position or an excellent standing shot and you can totally rely on your accuracy. My other key points like before are quick dispach and semingly larger target area. However ive just been up the garden practicing my standing shots and can now hit a milk bottle top at 20m 9/10 times. i might start going for more headshots but without sittig up im nearly allways in a standing firing position

A missed head is either a miss or a hit to the neck. Keep your aimimg point at the rear rather than the front of the head and I think that head shots are more humane.

Yes allways rear of head ie where the brain is otherwise a pellet through the front of the face is very unhumane. I would say that a pellet in the chest that goes wrong has more stoping power and therefore a chance for my killer lap dog to dispach the quarry.

As i said there are arguments for both however as far as i can see im the only person willing to admit using them.

Just to make it really clear i believe in headshots but when they go wrong the concequences for the rabbit can sometimes be worse than a chest shot.

I was very annoyed the other day when a rabbit at 15m was hit on the shoulder and ran. I sent the dog but as i was reloading i spotted the pellet i had just fired on the floor with no damage. Clearly angle of attack is of importance.

Another argument for body shots is head on. Ok you can wait but it may be too late. A front on head shot normally works but could deflect. A body shot would be a large target area however the ribs are the main complication

If it is directly head on then I would agree. With only 12ft-lb, you have a lot of hard stuff to get through before reaching the brain; chest shot may be the way to go if the grass length etc allows. I do use them occasionally, but go for the head much much more. It is often more humane to go for a headshot where I shoot. I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for going for the heart/lungs.

Purely out of interest, what kind of dog do you use?

You can get drummed off some airgun forums for even suggesting that a body shot will kill, but it does, in the right area. A pellet into the chest imparts tremendous trauma and also punctures the cavity meaning that the lungs don't work. No lungs, no life.

With woodies its a no brainer (sorry). The head is small and moving too eratically to guarantee a head shot whereas a chest shot usually drops them dead. Rabbits are different. The head is much larger and more steady. No reason not to go for a head shot. Squizzers can be tricky. I'd rather take a chest shot than a frontal head shot, but sideways on its the head every time.

When learning to shoot I was always taught that when shooting an airgun go for head shots and when shooting rim fire go for heart and lung shots never strayed from this I'm afraid.

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

WHY?

And where would you aim with a centrefire then?

Edited by Dekers

Good point jacksdad mines .22

Very impressed guys no ones been childish yet :good:

im sure there'll be one :rolleyes:

What, you mean someone who dissagrees with you. A body shot has more chance of letting them run. If they manage to evade your wonder dog, and get back into their burrow, it just means a slow painful death. Why not go for a head shot every time? This way you stand a better chance of killing them on the spot. If your going to try and kill something, try and do it the right way.

Firstly for whomever asked its a labrador

A body shot dosen't normally knock things over outright however several headshots ive taken haven't.

Like one sensible person says do what works for you but i find that occasionaly a body shot is a better option and all the body shots ive taken (i think) have resulted in fast humane deaths (thanks to the dog :D ). If at short range why not take the larger killing area especially when in a bad shooting position and as is the case with my current mercy killing of the mixied rabbits the death is a lot better than dying with no senses.

As i said in the first one some people will only do one however i was expecting at least one body shotter.

Lets not make things personal and just keep the dicsusion to pros and cons and what works for people instead of opinions :good:

but the problem is it has to hit exactly the right part of the brain to do that

Really ? Should I be aiming for the cerebral cortex or the frontal lobes ?

In reality, a pellet through any part of the brain will stop the rabbit from running home. It might do some acrobatics for a few seconds, but it won't be bolting for the hedgerow and smelling the way back to the hole.

Don't confuse "brain" with "head".

Really ? Should I be aiming for the cerebral cortex or the frontal lobes ?

In reality, a pellet through any part of the brain will stop the rabbit from running home. It might do some acrobatics for a few seconds, but it won't be bolting for the hedgerow and smelling the way back to the hole.

Don't confuse "brain" with "head".

Like you say it has to hit the brain but a miss that hits the mouth which might kill in heart lung would mean a possibly very slow agonising death and it wont have the same stopping potential as a pellet in the chest cavity.

Also i suppose you know this but a rabbit can still get back to its burrow on nerves even if its stone dead. If its close enough to the burry but this is rare. Im not saying not to go for headshots but just saying that in some cases there are differnt options.